Author Topic: any current news on sully and weight  (Read 73659 times)

Re: any current news on sully and weight
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 07:26:04 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Everyone talks about his weight, but the weight concern is just a sympton of the real problem, which is his conditioning. He needs to be in the kind of shape where, if called upon to do so, he'd be capable of playing 48 minutes in a game without losing too much. Not because he'll be asked to do so with any regularity but because he should be able to do more than just what is being asked of him.

No, the real concern with Sully, more than ANYTHING....is his attitude.
The weight/conditioning problems concern C's fans because they are worried that his guy has the talent, skill and basketball IQ to be an All Star. The question mark against him is that he doesn't have the right 'take no prisoners' attitude that you need in the NBA to be a great player and what the Celtics need from their big men in the front court.

He's beaten up his girlfriend, he's been late or missed practices multiple times, and he's had weight issues and injury concerns due to weight issues for his entire career in college and pros.

I love Sully and I think he gets more attention for what he hasn't yet become when he should get more attention for how [dang] good he is and how important he's been to the Celtics rebuild. But I understand why he gets a bunch of 'tude' from us armchair GM's and from the media, and it's because it frustrates fans to see him with all the tools/physical capabilities to be a top 30 NBA player and maybe even an All Star (in the Carlos Boozer/Paul Millsap vein) and not have the desire to put it all together.

The John Lucas camp is a great idea and I just hope he's still got some maturing left in him.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I find it ridiculous that some of the armchair GMs on this board are concerned with Sully's weight.  Did he play effectively? I think he did and was arguably the best player on the Celts. I am more concerned with the armchair GMs weight on this board because they aren't keeping in shape by playing 82+ basketball games plus practices and playoffs. Basketball players are probably the best athletes in professional sports along with soccer players. You are concerned about his weight?

Are they concerned or are you concerned with Zack Randolph's weight? He is exact same size and weight as Sully and he is 34 years old.

Let's get off Sully!

It ain't just the armchair GMs.  The *ACTUAL FREAKING* GM has said - EXPLICITLY - that Sully is out of shape and it's negatively impacting his performance.

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2015, 09:02:57 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I heard he's down to 1 party size meat lovers pizza a day, so that progress.  ;D

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2015, 10:42:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This is what Ainge said.

"Jared and I have talked a lot about [his conditioning] over the past year," Ainge said. "It’s something we take great pride in with our players. Our players have really bought in to our program and a lot of guys – I think every guy has met the goals that they have set in regards to strength and conditioning, and body-fat, and weight, and all the different things our strength coaches do on a regular basis. Jared just hasn’t met his goals.

"He’s not up to the standards that he wants, and is not up to the standards that we think are in his best interests for the long-term health of his career. He’s not up to par to the standards that we feel are necessary to be a consistent winning player and play with great conditioning."

and this
“I don’t know the answer to that," Ainge said about Sullinger improving his conditioning moving forward. "I think that’s up to Jared. He has in place for him all the tools, it’s just a matter of him being able to do it.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2015/02/danny_ainge_criticizes_jared_sullingers_conditioning_issues.html

then this

“I’m a big fan of Jared’s,” Ainge said. “I think he has a very bright future. But he’s hurting the longevity of his career and his play now, by not being in the best condition he can be in. Ultimately it’s his choice.”

and this

"We have high expectations for Jared and it's my job to try and get the best out of Jared,” Ainge said. “I don’t think he is at his best. But that in no way should be as my dissatisfaction with him. He’s a young man who wants to be great. We’re trying to help him reach his goal. It’s just simply that. We have to hold him to a high standard. Sometimes we have to discipline him. Sometimes we have to push him. But we surround him with all the tools and we’re hoping that he has a really good summer this year.”

When I asked Ainge if Sullinger’s most recent injury was a wake-up call for him get his conditioning where it needs to be, Ainge said, “I hope it was a wake-up call. It appeared to be a wake-up call at the time. But time will tell.”

I would rather see our trainer in Boston and a nutritionist working on him rather than John Lucas.   Lucas's speciality is drug users, he has not got success with everyone that has sought his help but that is the nature of addiction, it is on the individual.   I am NOT implying Sully has a substance problem.  He has helped a lot of people though.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/john-lucas-basketballs-go-to-guru-20140516

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2015, 11:02:54 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Wow.   That's a lot info from Ainge.  He didn't hold back one bit addressing what can be a touchy subject.   

Speculating between the lines....
I'm going to guess Danny and Sully's pops, Satch, don't see eye to eye very often.   Last year with the comment how he was promised Jared start, etc.    I don't know, but it feels like maybe Ainge sees a lot of potential in Jared, and while Satch might be pushing for this, that, or a trade -- Ainge is standing pat and not just moving him for a pick or whatever. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:52:10 PM by D Dub »

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2015, 07:50:37 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Everyone talks about his weight, but the weight concern is just a sympton of the real problem, which is his conditioning. He needs to be in the kind of shape where, if called upon to do so, he'd be capable of playing 48 minutes in a game without losing too much. Not because he'll be asked to do so with any regularity but because he should be able to do more than just what is being asked of him.

The weight/conditioning problems concern C's fans because they are worried that his guy has the talent, skill and basketball IQ to be an All Star. The question mark against him is that he doesn't have the right 'take no prisoners' attitude that you need in the NBA to be a great player and what the Celtics need from their big men in the front court.

He's beaten up his girlfriend, he's been late or missed practices multiple times, and he's had weight issues and injury concerns due to weight issues for his entire career in college and pros.

I love Sully and I think he gets more attention for what he hasn't yet become when he should get more attention for how [dang] good he is and how important he's been to the Celtics rebuild. But I understand why he gets a bunch of 'tude' from us armchair GM's and from the media, and it's because it frustrates fans to see him with all the tools/physical capabilities to be a top 30 NBA player and maybe even an All Star (in the Carlos Boozer/Paul Millsap vein) and not have the desire to put it all together.

The John Lucas camp is a great idea and I just hope he's still got some maturing left in him.
That's a good point and it's all connected. His conditioning is never going get to where it needs to be until he changes his attitude toward the work.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 05:43:15 AM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18

You took that a little out of proportion Sully did not beat up his girlfriend. He broke her phone and pinned her on her bed because he wanted to talk to her. It seems pretty bad but I can understand it because she was his girlfriend for a long time.
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 07:16:55 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

You took that a little out of proportion Sully did not beat up his girlfriend. He broke her phone and pinned her on her bed because he wanted to talk to her. It seems pretty bad but I can understand it because she was his girlfriend for a long time.

"I can understand it because she was his girlfriend for a long time."--Yikes--I can't back that statement in the least!

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2015, 07:58:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

At what Sullinger weighs, being pinned under him is a heavy load.

Kidding aside, I think it is OK to say that what is described here (I don't know if it is true) is not as bad as punching a girl and chaining her to a bed of guns or whatever that story was.  Both are bad.  It is OK to say one is much worse.  Not sure I agree with the part about understanding because she was a long term girlfriend though.

I am over that for Sully.  It happened, it is a black mark that changes my perception of him as a person but it doesn't carry over to who he is as a player, so long as that is the end of it.  He needs to take the game and the game of life more seriously.  He is a big boy now.   Show up in shape, eat what you need to eat, and conduct your personal life in a proper manner.

Guys come out really young these days.  Most aren't really ready emotionally.  Whether or not you agree with it, the reality is that players do get a grace period of sorts.  Sully's grace period with the Celtics is about up.

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2015, 08:08:23 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
This is what Ainge said.

"Jared and I have talked a lot about [his conditioning] over the past year," Ainge said. "It’s something we take great pride in with our players. Our players have really bought in to our program and a lot of guys – I think every guy has met the goals that they have set in regards to strength and conditioning, and body-fat, and weight, and all the different things our strength coaches do on a regular basis. Jared just hasn’t met his goals.

"He’s not up to the standards that he wants, and is not up to the standards that we think are in his best interests for the long-term health of his career. He’s not up to par to the standards that we feel are necessary to be a consistent winning player and play with great conditioning."

and this
“I don’t know the answer to that," Ainge said about Sullinger improving his conditioning moving forward. "I think that’s up to Jared. He has in place for him all the tools, it’s just a matter of him being able to do it.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2015/02/danny_ainge_criticizes_jared_sullingers_conditioning_issues.html

then this

“I’m a big fan of Jared’s,” Ainge said. “I think he has a very bright future. But he’s hurting the longevity of his career and his play now, by not being in the best condition he can be in. Ultimately it’s his choice.”

and this

"We have high expectations for Jared and it's my job to try and get the best out of Jared,” Ainge said. “I don’t think he is at his best. But that in no way should be as my dissatisfaction with him. He’s a young man who wants to be great. We’re trying to help him reach his goal. It’s just simply that. We have to hold him to a high standard. Sometimes we have to discipline him. Sometimes we have to push him. But we surround him with all the tools and we’re hoping that he has a really good summer this year.”

When I asked Ainge if Sullinger’s most recent injury was a wake-up call for him get his conditioning where it needs to be, Ainge said, “I hope it was a wake-up call. It appeared to be a wake-up call at the time. But time will tell.”

I would rather see our trainer in Boston and a nutritionist working on him rather than John Lucas.   Lucas's speciality is drug users, he has not got success with everyone that has sought his help but that is the nature of addiction, it is on the individual.   I am NOT implying Sully has a substance problem.  He has helped a lot of people though.

the addiction could be food.  sometimes it's a mental thing where food (or specifically the mental comfort it brings) can be as addicting as a drug.

not sure that's the reason behind going to Lucas' facility but maybe that's how they're approaching this issue at this point.

just a thought

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2015, 08:11:51 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
A little decorum please...

Can we at least refer to him as Contract Year Jared Sullinger from this point forward?

It just drives home the point a lot better.

If Contract Year Jared Sullinger (or CYJS for short) can't manage to make his weight goals for training camp or prevent himself from being the only NBA player to gain weight during the season then... well... you get it right?

If however, Contract Year Jared Sullinger comes into camp looking lean and playing with the eye of the Tiger the Celtic's might actually have the first trade chip they've developed since Delonte West to have more value to the rest of the league than to the Celtic's themselves.

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2015, 08:11:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is what Ainge said.

and this

then this

and this

the addiction could be food.  sometimes it's a mental thing where food (or specifically the mental comfort it brings) can be as addicting as a drug.

not sure that's the reason behind going to Lucas' facility but maybe that's how they're approaching this issue at this point.

just a thought

Not sure why focusing on John Lucas and his substance addiction help is of importance when Sully is concerned. He's a basketball coach, he has training facilities, and can help players focus... addictions aside, and offer some mentorship.

I mean, DeAndre Jordan is there working on his free-throws for example.

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2015, 08:34:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
This is what Ainge said.

and this

then this

and this

just a thought

Not sure why focusing on John Lucas and his substance addiction help is of importance when Sully is concerned. He's a basketball coach, he has training facilities, and can help players focus... addictions aside, and offer some mentorship.

and DJ's FT issues may be a mental issue as well.  just offering it as a possible different approach for players to address issues besides their need to improve their basketball skills

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2015, 08:40:56 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
So do none of the Celtics players take calls from the local sports media in the offseason--or is the local sports media just incredibly lazy?

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2015, 08:59:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Since, when is a final paragraph a focus?

Sully really needs two things, a personal trainer that will make him do work, he has yet been unwilling to do at this point and a chef with a nutritionist background that can assist him provide him with fuel for his workout and assist him to lose weight.   A fitness bootcamp would have been ideal.

Now go on, tell us how he is perfect, our eyes betray us, how much you like him and how professional he is as a player.  I could use a good laugh.