Author Topic: Roster Consolidation  (Read 15078 times)

Re: Roster Consolidation
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2015, 12:05:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Smart and Olynyk for Embiid and the rights to swap picks with Philly in 2016.  No idea what Philly thinks of Embiid right now, but this could potentially be an interesting trade for both teams.  Lots of long term risk for Boston given Embiid's current medical condition, but by also getting the rights to swap picks, Boston should end up higher in the draft and with a real shot at a potential franchise player in the draft.

The thought turns my stomach as a Celtics fan given the risk involved, but I can see it from a purely rational standpoint.

I don't think Philly would do it, though.  You're giving up the perhaps small chance that Embiid gets healthy and can play NBA basketball along with the right to your own draft pick (which will probably end up in the top 5-7 at this point no matter what you do), all so you can get Smart and Olynyk?

Philly's whole MO is maximizing their chances at a franchise player.  Their pick this year and Embiid each individually have a greater chance of turning into a franchise player than Smart, Olynyk, or the Celts' first round pick next year.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2015, 12:07:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think with each passing day a big deal to bring in a wing is less likely. At this point I expect us to trade one of our big men or guards for a future pick and then roll with the 15 we have left over. That or just cut Perry Jones, but with how Ainge compared the PJ3 deal to Zeller last year I wouldn't be surprised if Jones ended up not only sticking but finding rotation minutes.
Danny's looking at 16 contracts going into the season based on the proposed Lee deal.  he's got to move a couple of people for one person (or one person for a future pick/non-guaranteed contract) or risk having to cut a guaranteed deal and eat that salary for no good reason.

he's got motivation to make even a minor deal to straighten this out.  problem is, other GMs can see his roster dilemna as well
I don't understand your response. I said we have 16, so I expect us to eventually trade one for a pick and then roll with the 15 that are left over. If not we will just cut Perry Jones. Were you disagreeing with me?
agreeing with you.  could have been clearer about that I suppose

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2015, 12:14:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Smart and Olynyk for Embiid and the rights to swap picks with Philly in 2016.  No idea what Philly thinks of Embiid right now, but this could potentially be an interesting trade for both teams.  Lots of long term risk for Boston given Embiid's current medical condition, but by also getting the rights to swap picks, Boston should end up higher in the draft and with a real shot at a potential franchise player in the draft. 
or said another way
"Let me give you $10 for that $5 scratch ticket that you've already scratched most of the spots off and not found a winner yet.  there's still a couple of unscratched spots that represent a 5% chance of winning $100.  How can I not want to get in on those odds!!" 

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2015, 12:22:57 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
or said another way
"Let me give you $10 for that $5 scratch ticket that you've already scratched most of the spots off and not found a winner yet.  there's still a couple of unscratched spots that represent a 5% chance of winning $100.  How can I not want to get in on those odds!!"

Philly wouldn't do it simply due to the fact that they plan on tanking another year for more assets, and even with Smart and Olynyk, they'd still be handing over a middle of the lottery pick to us.

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'd expand the GS trade to Lee and Barnes for Turner, Sully, Wallace, PJ3 and Cavs 1st.

Smart/IT/Rozier
AB/Hunter/Young
Barnes/Crowder
AJ/Lee/Jerekbo
Zeller/KO/Mikey
14 guys.
15th could be Holmes?
I doubt GS does that plus we already trade the Cleveland #1.
Well trade one of the teams ever growing amount of low first . Can't keep track of all the picks coming and going. Lol. Now I do agree it is seriously doubtful, yet GS should consider it if repeating and being financially stable is their goal. They keep depth in Turner, PJ3 and Sully effectively but aren't locked in salary wise plus they get a pick.
I don't get the fascination for Barnes around here.  he's ok but nothing great from what I've seen.  Jeff Green-lite on a good day.

wouldn't move Sully for him never mind Sully, Turner, PJIII and a pick.  Sully was the one forward that stepped it up in the playoffs -- regardless of what the lunk brigade here says about his conditioning.

I can't see them taking Turner, PJIII and a pick for Barnes but maybe they'd like some depth and could be talked into it.  if they turned it down, no big deal.
I think I'm the main person pulling for Barnes by giving up good/decent assets for him. So I'll explain that I really feel Barnes is on the cusp of being a very good player. If he becomes that player then there would no chance C's can trade for him. C's have to believe a guy is going to get there and pull the trigger before it happens. But as of right now you are right Barnes isn't a big time player and may never be.

I think Barnes is one of those guys with potential to break out as a star. He's already a good shooter, defender, and all-around player and I think we should go after him big time in restricted free agency next year.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd expand the GS trade to Lee and Barnes for Turner, Sully, Wallace, PJ3 and Cavs 1st.

Smart/IT/Rozier
AB/Hunter/Young
Barnes/Crowder
AJ/Lee/Jerekbo
Zeller/KO/Mikey
14 guys.
15th could be Holmes?
Well trade one of the teams ever growing amount of low first . Can't keep track of all the picks coming and going. Lol. Now I do agree it is seriously doubtful, yet GS should consider it if repeating and being financially stable is their goal. They keep depth in Turner, PJ3 and Sully effectively but aren't locked in salary wise plus they get a pick.
I don't get the fascination for Barnes around here.  he's ok but nothing great from what I've seen.  Jeff Green-lite on a good day.

wouldn't move Sully for him never mind Sully, Turner, PJIII and a pick.  Sully was the one forward that stepped it up in the playoffs -- regardless of what the lunk brigade here says about his conditioning.

I can't see them taking Turner, PJIII and a pick for Barnes but maybe they'd like some depth and could be talked into it.  if they turned it down, no big deal.
I think I'm the main person pulling for Barnes by giving up good/decent assets for him. So I'll explain that I really feel Barnes is on the cusp of being a very good player. If he becomes that player then there would no chance C's can trade for him. C's have to believe a guy is going to get there and pull the trigger before it happens. But as of right now you are right Barnes isn't a big time player and may never be.

I think Barnes is one of those guys with potential to break out as a star. He's already a good shooter, defender, and all-around player and I think we should go after him big time in restricted free agency next year.
He's also an very good/great athlete.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Smart/IT/Rozier
AB/Hunter/Young
Barnes/Crowder
AJ/Lee/Jerekbo
Zeller/KO/Mikey
14 guys.
15th could be Holmes?

I think I'm the main person pulling for Barnes by giving up good/decent assets for him. So I'll explain that I really feel Barnes is on the cusp of being a very good player. If he becomes that player then there would now chance C's can trade for him. C's have to believe a guy is going to get there and pull the trigger before it happens. But as of right now you are right Barnes isn't a big time player and may never be.
ok, so your interest is based on a personal projection of his possible growth as a player and not based on what he's actually shown so far.   fair enough.  I don't see it but I'm not always right.  I still wouldn't give up proven assets for someone who hasn't proven much yet.  It'd be like giving up proven assets for PJIII (to an extent) because I thought he'd be better than what he's shown in OKC so far.

IMHO, if Barnes and PJIII had been on switched between GS and OKC for their careers, I suspect the commentary/desire for each player would clamoring for PJIII and saying Barnes is a candidate to be cut from the roster.
Barnes has proven 2x as much in play on the court than a PJ3. He is a much better player overall already so not comparable. I still understand the point but Barnes has good #s based on attempts and he would fit great here as he moves the ball, defends and can hit 3s. We are also talking about Sully, PJ3, Turner and a 1st round pick not like they are great proven players themselves. You're not getting an All-star for them that package itself may not even be enough for Barnes.

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2015, 01:20:24 PM »

Offline krich1187

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 7
I won't get into specific deals, but I think players that need to be moved/are redundant are the following:

Avery Bradley - tough to trade this guy because he is a great defender, a professional, and hard working. Unfortunately, he lacks the size, ball handling, and shooting for his position. He seems like he would be better suited on a contender coming off the bench.

Evan Turner - this is more about fit. I don't think he is a fit for what the Celtics want to do. We don't have the shooters yet to compliment his style of play. I also think his value is higher right now than it will be at the end of the season. He was a solid player for us last season. I could see a contender with some shooting coming off the bench with him being a good fit.

Olynyk - this is about redundancy. Although Lee is in his final year, and Amir will only have another year left, I think Olynyk has kind of shown you what he is. He's a solid offensive player that can stretch the floor, and get hot from time to time. I think Sully has a higher ceiling to be an impact player. He could be a really good fit for a team looking for a small ball 4. I think Sully has the potential to be that for us, along with Jerebko and others.

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2015, 01:48:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

The thought turns my stomach as a Celtics fan given the risk involved, but I can see it from a purely rational standpoint.

I don't think Philly would do it, though.  You're giving up the perhaps small chance that Embiid gets healthy and can play NBA basketball along with the right to your own draft pick (which will probably end up in the top 5-7 at this point no matter what you do), all so you can get Smart and Olynyk?

Philly's whole MO is maximizing their chances at a franchise player.  Their pick this year and Embiid each individually have a greater chance of turning into a franchise player than Smart, Olynyk, or the Celts' first round pick next year.
That was kind of where I was.  Don't think Philly does it, but given Embiid's latest set back, I think it is a fairly fair deal for both sides.  Philly needs a player like Smart in the backcourt and Olynyk is a good compliment to Noel and Okafor offensively (though the Olynyk/Okafor pairing would be awful defensively). 

Maybe you make the pick swap top 3 protected and if it is top 3 we get the Lakers pick from them (or something like that).  Probably more palatable for Philly and still not a bad trade for Boston. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2015, 02:18:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Smart/IT/Rozier
AB/Hunter/Young
Barnes/Crowder
AJ/Lee/Jerekbo
Zeller/KO/Mikey
14 guys.
15th could be Holmes?

I think I'm the main person pulling for Barnes by giving up good/decent assets for him. So I'll explain that I really feel Barnes is on the cusp of being a very good player. If he becomes that player then there would now chance C's can trade for him. C's have to believe a guy is going to get there and pull the trigger before it happens. But as of right now you are right Barnes isn't a big time player and may never be.
ok, so your interest is based on a personal projection of his possible growth as a player and not based on what he's actually shown so far.   fair enough.  I don't see it but I'm not always right.  I still wouldn't give up proven assets for someone who hasn't proven much yet.  It'd be like giving up proven assets for PJIII (to an extent) because I thought he'd be better than what he's shown in OKC so far.

IMHO, if Barnes and PJIII had been on switched between GS and OKC for their careers, I suspect the commentary/desire for each player would clamoring for PJIII and saying Barnes is a candidate to be cut from the roster.
Barnes has proven 2x as much in play on the court than a PJ3. He is a much better player overall already so not comparable. I still understand the point but Barnes has good #s based on attempts and he would fit great here as he moves the ball, defends and can hit 3s. We are also talking about Sully, PJ3, Turner and a 1st round pick not like they are great proven players themselves. You're not getting an All-star for them that package itself may not even be enough for Barnes.
My point with PJIII and Barnes was that when given time, PJIII was fairly productive.  If in GS, he may have looked enticing like Barnes has enticed some people here.  I'm just not one of those people that thinks he'll be more than a role player.  I really think Sully is being undersold here just because some people don't like his conditioning (I think it could be better but I'm not just going to trade him because I don't think he's chiseled) but in the playoffs Sully was often the best big we had on the floor.  that's not something to overlook.

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2015, 02:24:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Smart/IT/Rozier
AB/Hunter/Young
Barnes/Crowder
AJ/Lee/Jerekbo
Zeller/KO/Mikey
14 guys.
15th could be Holmes?

My point with PJIII and Barnes was that when given time, PJIII was fairly productive.  If in GS, he may have looked enticing like Barnes has enticed some people here.  I'm just not one of those people that thinks he'll be more than a role player.  I really think Sully is being undersold here just because some people don't like his conditioning (I think it could be better but I'm not just going to trade him because I don't think he's chiseled) but in the playoffs Sully was often the best big we had on the floor.  that's not something to overlook.
Im not in love with Barnes. He seems pretty Jeff Greenish. He is a similar level athlete and a much better shooter. Golden State is the perfect fit. The thing for me is that if Im running Golden State Im running it back untill I cant any more. You are absolutely right that this trade could be a win  for them, but it could also really hurt them as they lose a ton of 3 pt shooting at the 3 and what if Perry Jones continues to be a scrub?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
If any roster consolidation happens it doesn't seem like it will be anytime soon.

Adam Himmelsbach ?@AdamHimmelsbach  19m19 minutes ago
Also, I'm hearing that the Jae Crowder signing and David Lee trade will most likely be finalized next week.

To me this means that Ainge has given up on finding another deal, using the rest of the cap space to consolidate the roster.

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2015, 03:02:11 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Apparently Gallinari is getting signed to an extension so there goes that option for consolidation.

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2015, 03:12:15 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Apparently Gallinari is getting signed to an extension so there goes that option for consolidation.

$17M per. Yuck.

Adrian Wojnarowski ?@WojYahooNBA 11m11 minutes ago

Yahoo Sources: Denver's Danilo Gallinari finalizing a two-year, $34M extension. http://yhoo.it/1OvaFe8

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
With very few free agents and a ton of teams with free agent dollars he probably would have gotten $20 MM on the open market next year.