Author Topic: Roster Consolidation  (Read 15033 times)

Re: Roster Consolidation
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2015, 08:46:12 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Again not a perfect player but I think he is more than a salary dump in a trade especially to a team that is in need of ball handling small forward.

We're not a team in need of a ball-handling small forward. We're a team in need of a small forward who can score consistently and hit the three.

I would live a happier life if I never had to see another awkward ET drive to the middle with a pass back out to the top of the key for a steal and uncontested dunk ...

I'm in agreement with you with what we need, but you missed my point.  Let's not act like Turner was some crappy player for us the second half of the year.  Once our starting lineup of of Smart, Bradley, Turner, Bass, and Zeller in the starting lineup with Thomas our main weapon off the bench was solidified we went on a big run as a team. 

As Smart has more ball handling responsibility we need more of a scorer at SF, but the hate for Turner is crazy.  I believe he had at least a decent assist to turnover ratio for us.

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2015, 08:52:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd expand the GS trade to Lee and Barnes for Turner, Sully, Wallace, PJ3 and Cavs 1st.

Smart/IT/Rozier
AB/Hunter/Young
Barnes/Crowder
AJ/Lee/Jerekbo
Zeller/KO/Mikey
14 guys.
15th could be Holmes?
I doubt GS does that plus we already trade the Cleveland #1.
Well trade one of the teams ever growing amount of low first . Can't keep track of all the picks coming and going. Lol. Now I do agree it is seriously doubtful, yet GS should consider it if repeating and being financially stable is their goal. They keep depth in Turner, PJ3 and Sully effectively but aren't locked in salary wise plus they get a pick.
I don't get the fascination for Barnes around here.  he's ok but nothing great from what I've seen.  Jeff Green-lite on a good day.

wouldn't move Sully for him never mind Sully, Turner, PJIII and a pick.  Sully was the one forward that stepped it up in the playoffs -- regardless of what the lunk brigade here says about his conditioning.

I can't see them taking Turner, PJIII and a pick for Barnes but maybe they'd like some depth and could be talked into it.  if they turned it down, no big deal.

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2015, 08:57:50 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Again not a perfect player but I think he is more than a salary dump in a trade especially to a team that is in need of ball handling small forward.

We're not a team in need of a ball-handling small forward. We're a team in need of a small forward who can score consistently and hit the three.

I would live a happier life if I never had to see another awkward ET drive to the middle with a pass back out to the top of the key for a steal and uncontested dunk ...

I'm in agreement with you with what we need, but you missed my point.  Let's not act like Turner was some crappy player for us the second half of the year.  Once our starting lineup of of Smart, Bradley, Turner, Bass, and Zeller in the starting lineup with Thomas our main weapon off the bench was solidified we went on a big run as a team. 

As Smart has more ball handling responsibility we need more of a scorer at SF, but the hate for Turner is crazy.  I believe he had at least a decent assist to turnover ratio for us.

I totally agree with you on Turner and was going to create a thread on this particular subject. I am not saying he is our next perennial all-star and we do need to consolidate our roster, but he was very productive (and clutch for us last year. He was almost the anti-Green in that he came to play every night and could fill up a stat line. I really liked Green, but there were a lot of people who didn't and Turner should have been a breath of fresh air. He was even a good ball-handler in an offense that desperately needed one.

Heck, he even came on a discount contract. It's almost as if people just don't like him personally.

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

The only way I see that Turner was the anti-Green was with respect to expectations. We expected Green to become an all-star and we expected Turner to be riding out of the garden on a phunkeeduck.

For all of the disappointment, Green was still a better player than Turner by far.

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2015, 09:50:23 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The only way I see that Turner was the anti-Green was with respect to expectations. We expected Green to become an all-star and we expected Turner to be riding out of the garden on a phunkeeduck.

For all of the disappointment, Green was still a better player than Turner by far.

Also, Turner more consistently filled the need he was getting playing time to fill in the first place.

Turner got so much time because the team needed more ball-handlers on the floor.  He consistently provided ball-handling, even if he turned the ball over more than we'd like.

Green was out there first and foremost to be a scorer, and the scoring he provided was very inconsistent.  When he wasn't scoring, he provided very little.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2015, 10:11:10 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think with each passing day a big deal to bring in a wing is less likely. At this point I expect us to trade one of our big men or guards for a future pick and then roll with the 15 we have left over. That or just cut Perry Jones, but with how Ainge compared the PJ3 deal to Zeller last year I wouldn't be surprised if Jones ended up not only sticking but finding rotation minutes.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2015, 10:13:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think with each passing day a big deal to bring in a wing is less likely.

Agreed.  This is the team we've got.  It's a mess, and it will be a mess at least until December or January.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2015, 10:42:14 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I think with each passing day a big deal to bring in a wing is less likely. At this point I expect us to trade one of our big men or guards for a future pick and then roll with the 15 we have left over. That or just cut Perry Jones, but with how Ainge compared the PJ3 deal to Zeller last year I wouldn't be surprised if Jones ended up not only sticking but finding rotation minutes.
Danny's looking at 16 contracts going into the season based on the proposed Lee deal.  he's got to move a couple of people for one person (or one person for a future pick/non-guaranteed contract) or risk having to cut a guaranteed deal and eat that salary for no good reason.

he's got motivation to make even a minor deal to straighten this out.  problem is, other GMs can see his roster dilemna as well

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd expand the GS trade to Lee and Barnes for Turner, Sully, Wallace, PJ3 and Cavs 1st.

Smart/IT/Rozier
AB/Hunter/Young
Barnes/Crowder
AJ/Lee/Jerekbo
Zeller/KO/Mikey
14 guys.
15th could be Holmes?
Well trade one of the teams ever growing amount of low first . Can't keep track of all the picks coming and going. Lol. Now I do agree it is seriously doubtful, yet GS should consider it if repeating and being financially stable is their goal. They keep depth in Turner, PJ3 and Sully effectively but aren't locked in salary wise plus they get a pick.
I don't get the fascination for Barnes around here.  he's ok but nothing great from what I've seen.  Jeff Green-lite on a good day.

wouldn't move Sully for him never mind Sully, Turner, PJIII and a pick.  Sully was the one forward that stepped it up in the playoffs -- regardless of what the lunk brigade here says about his conditioning.

I can't see them taking Turner, PJIII and a pick for Barnes but maybe they'd like some depth and could be talked into it.  if they turned it down, no big deal.
I think I'm the main person pulling for Barnes by giving up good/decent assets for him. So I'll explain that I really feel Barnes is on the cusp of being a very good player. If he becomes that player then there would no chance C's can trade for him. C's have to believe a guy is going to get there and pull the trigger before it happens. But as of right now you are right Barnes isn't a big time player and may never be.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:25:57 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Smart/IT/Rozier
AB/Hunter/Young
Barnes/Crowder
AJ/Lee/Jerekbo
Zeller/KO/Mikey
14 guys.
15th could be Holmes?

I think I'm the main person pulling for Barnes by giving up good/decent assets for him. So I'll explain that I really feel Barnes is on the cusp of being a very good player. If he becomes that player then there would now chance C's can trade for him. C's have to believe a guy is going to get there and pull the trigger before it happens. But as of right now you are right Barnes isn't a big time player and may never be.
ok, so your interest is based on a personal projection of his possible growth as a player and not based on what he's actually shown so far.   fair enough.  I don't see it but I'm not always right.  I still wouldn't give up proven assets for someone who hasn't proven much yet.  It'd be like giving up proven assets for PJIII (to an extent) because I thought he'd be better than what he's shown in OKC so far.

IMHO, if Barnes and PJIII had been on switched between GS and OKC for their careers, I suspect the commentary/desire for each player would clamoring for PJIII and saying Barnes is a candidate to be cut from the roster.

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2015, 11:18:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Danny's looking at 16 contracts going into the season based on the proposed Lee deal.  he's got to move a couple of people for one person (or one person for a future pick/non-guaranteed contract) or risk having to cut a guaranteed deal and eat that salary for no good reason.

he's got motivation to make even a minor deal to straighten this out.  problem is, other GMs can see his roster dilemna as well
I don't understand your response. I said we have 16, so I expect us to eventually trade one for a pick and then roll with the 15 that are left over. If not we will just cut Perry Jones. Were you disagreeing with me?

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2015, 11:29:34 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Agreed.  This is the team we've got.  It's a mess, and it will be a mess at least until December or January.

But it's not. There's going to be at least one change by camp. Maybe we'll just cut Jones -- who knows. But I doubt it.

I also expect Ainge to offer Holmes a non-guaranteed deal while he tries to figure out such a move....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2015, 11:36:27 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

But it's not. There's going to be at least one change by camp. Maybe we'll just cut Jones -- who knows. But I doubt it.

I also expect Ainge to offer Holmes a non-guaranteed deal while he tries to figure out such a move....
I just think whatever consolidation move is less likely to be major. I am predicting trading a player for a pick or cutting Jones.

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2015, 11:38:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Smart and Olynyk for Embiid and the rights to swap picks with Philly in 2016.  No idea what Philly thinks of Embiid right now, but this could potentially be an interesting trade for both teams.  Lots of long term risk for Boston given Embiid's current medical condition, but by also getting the rights to swap picks, Boston should end up higher in the draft and with a real shot at a potential franchise player in the draft. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2015, 11:55:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Smart and Olynyk for Embiid and the rights to swap picks with Philly in 2016.  No idea what Philly thinks of Embiid right now, but this could potentially be an interesting trade for both teams.  Lots of long term risk for Boston given Embiid's current medical condition, but by also getting the rights to swap picks, Boston should end up higher in the draft and with a real shot at a potential franchise player in the draft.

I like this because of the pick swap.   I think Embiid is done.  But giving up Smart is a lot.  Some how I think he would come back to haunt us year after year.  Your basically trading for their pick as I see it.

I am for getting rid of the guys who do not keep themselves in shape, play D or run the court.  But I do not think that player has much value in terms of a trade.  But they would not take a chance on Upshaw because of the effect he could have on the team.   Maybe we should get rid of our unprofessional guys, who show up out of condition, late to team meetings, do not play at the weight the team needs.  But I think you have to give them to camp to be fair.