Author Topic: Roster Consolidation  (Read 15077 times)

Re: Roster Consolidation
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 07:39:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

This. DeRozan is one of the most perennially overvalued players on this board.

Maybe, though his name has only really come up much around here in the past 6 months to a year since rumors started that the Raps might look to move him.

Perhaps we overvalue Derozan, but there's also definitely a tendency around here to overvalue our own players, Turner and Sullinger perhaps most of all.  The Raps will almost certainly want Bradley and a 1st round pick at a minimum if they are going to trade Derozan.

Derozan may not be the most efficient player around, but he's a 20 point per game scorer on the wing in his physical prime, with great athleticism and the ability to get to the line.  That's a rare set of attributes in this league.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 07:39:27 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
ET needs to hit the road

He is standing smack dabb in the middle of the road blocking the Celtics progress

Just let go......write it off.......wave him........kick him.......just get him off the team

Rather have Holmes......than ET or Young.

I've seen lots of hate towards ET lately.  He is not a perfect player, but was part of the reason we went 24 and 12 to end the season.  3 triple doubles, other near miss triple doubles, game winning shots, and I believe he was second to Westbrook in at least 10, 5, 5 games the second half of the season.

Again not a perfect player but I think he is more than a salary dump in a trade especially to a team that is in need of ball handling small forward.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 07:46:15 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I like Terrence Ross

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 08:03:34 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I thought babb was heading out in lee deal?
Turner makes too little to dump!  If he's needed to sweeten deal sure.  Kelly gives us back up minutes at of power forward and c.  Sully a draft pick and insert other guy for an upgrade at any position.  We need a center or small forward starting quality!!

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yeah, I saw an article about that on RaptorsHQ and had the same idea. However, I've seen mention of theoretically acquiring DeRozan without dealing AB, then using DD as a 3.

DeRozan had his worst stretch last season playing as a 3 and became more effective as he shifted back to the 2.

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 08:59:25 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Yeah, I saw an article about that on RaptorsHQ and had the same idea. However, I've seen mention of theoretically acquiring DeRozan without dealing AB, then using DD as a 3.

DeRozan had his worst stretch last season playing as a 3 and became more effective as he shifted back to the 2.

Hmm, didn't know that. By any chance, do you know who he was playing alongside?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 09:09:27 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

This. DeRozan is one of the most perennially overvalued players on this board.

Maybe, though his name has only really come up much around here in the past 6 months to a year since rumors started that the Raps might look to move him.

Perhaps we overvalue Derozan, but there's also definitely a tendency around here to overvalue our own players, Turner and Sullinger perhaps most of all.  The Raps will almost certainly want Bradley and a 1st round pick at a minimum if they are going to trade Derozan.

Derozan may not be the most efficient player around, but he's a 20 point per game scorer on the wing in his physical prime, with great athleticism and the ability to get to the line.  That's a rare set of attributes in this league.

Very true, which is why I think getting him for the right price would be a good move. However, some of the packages that people suggest for DeRozan are just ridiculous. I think it's the fact that he has the All-Star label that distorts people's views of DD. I mean, I've seen people float Boogie-esque deals out there for DD. Honestly, I'd probably give up just as much for Harrison Barnes as I would for DD, even though Barnes lacks the gaudy numbers and All-Star label.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 09:30:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I think we over value him because he has always killed us.  I agree with this absolutely.

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 09:31:16 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I think that where there's smoke there's fire, in this case. Multiple players and a low 1st round pick are on their way out, with Gallinari on a sign-and-trade coming in. I wouldn't be surprised if some combination of Bradley, James Young, and Kelly Olynyk was involved.

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 09:39:35 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I believe some combination of Turner, Sully/KO, and Zeller/Young works for Faried. Not ideal, but I wouldn't hate it for a few reasons.

I just don't see trading for a 1 or 4, particularly one who is going to sap cap space. Get a 3 or a 5, or maybe a 2 if it's a very good player. The possible exception to me is Bennett, as a reclamation project.

There is some method to my madness. I'm really not too high on him, but I think there are a few advantages to it... I don't think it makes the team worse, he's on a decent salary for 4 years (reasonable if he were to stay, and not a bad trade chip), and it's one of the only feasible trades I can think of (both parties are unhappy).

Also, while limited as a player, I think he'd thrive in our open-court and uptempo system. He's a great finisher and thrives in transition, would be a nice pairing with Amir or KO at center. I could see other teams being interested in him because of his semi-friendly contract and think some may overestimate his abilities because he's an exciting player.

One of those trades would help us significantly clear our logjams, too. And if Sully were out, he would be a good substitute for rebounding. So ultimately, it a) helps clear the logjams, b) we could showcase his talents, c) he could be a very tradeable asset (more so than the guys we're shipping out).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:14:19 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 09:49:16 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I like Terrence Ross

Not that familiar with his game, so I googled him. First hit...

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2015, 10:06:58 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think retaining the most amount of assets possible is the most important thing for DA and I think roster consolidation is that important to him. I think ideally he'd like to do some 2 for 1s or 3 for 1s. But I don't think he does it just to make numbers work, to let the young guys play more, or to get a better roster for this year. If he does such a move, it will be because he thinks it will help the team in the long run.

If not, he'll just cut PJIII and our current players can scrap for minutes.

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2015, 10:31:02 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

He actually performed quite a bit better at SF than at SG.

http://www.82games.com/1415/14TOR6.HTM

Smitty77

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2015, 10:45:14 PM »

Offline Megalodon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I will propose two relatively unconventional trades that have not been suggested yet. They can either go down together, or separately since players involved do not overlap.

Proposal 1 (w/Chicago):
Bradley+Turner for Noah and 2 1st round picks.
It makes sense for CHI - they get rid of Noah, free up minutes for Taj to play next to Pau, get a 3 point shooter on long, reasonable contract and get out of paying repeater tax in 2017. However the price is steep - two first round picks ( I would also take Portland's 2nd which Chicago owns in conjunction with CHI 2018 1st unprotected, but this is up for debate and negotiation). For us it opens up playing time for Hunter, Rozier, etc. while getting a vet rim protecting center without sacrificing flexibility.

Proposal 2 (w/Orlando):
Olynyk + Young + Celtics' own '16 1st + Minnesota '16 1st for Aaron Gordon.
It is known that Ainge likes Gordon and wanted to draft him. Also, Gordon has not played meaningful minutes in the NBA and is recovering from jaw surgery. His stint in summer league might have been a fluke. Also, Magic has a logjam of 2s and 3s - Oladipo, Hezonja, Harris, but no young stretch 4. Also, they do not really have a backup PG, so if they want Rozier included I would be fine with it for as long as price goes down by one pick. For us it is also a gamble - if it works out we get either athletic undersized 4 or large, mobile defensive 3 which we need.

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2015, 10:52:05 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Wait...

Aren't we theoretically at 16 now if you count Wallace and Babb?

Isn't it pretty much already common knowledge that Wallace + Babb are going to be traded out for Lee?

Won't that bring us back down to 15, and if so isn't that the limit - or has it changed recently?