Author Topic: Roster Consolidation  (Read 15034 times)

Roster Consolidation
« on: July 20, 2015, 06:35:53 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
It's official: Unless they plan to cut a guaranteed contract, the Cs need to make a trade before the season begins.

To me, the most likely scenarios are as follows:

1) The Cs have been and will continue to look to package a few players for a vet (i.e. a 2-for-1, 3-for-1, 3-for-2 type deal)

2) Evan Turner is highly likely to be dealt, either in a salary dump on his own, or with one or two other rookie scale contracts.

3) One of Sullinger or Olynyk is pretty likely to be dealt.

I'm interested in folks POV here. As I scour the trade machine, here are some guys who look like targets for such a multi-player ship out. To me, unless you're getting a star, this will almost certainly require that the guy they get back is in the last guaranteed year of his deal:

~ Demar DeRozen (whether you like him or not, taking a flyer on him for a year makes some sense by comparison to other options in the market)
~ Anthony Bennett
~ Marvin Williams
~ Chase Budinger
~ Gerald Henderson
~ Gallinari (seems unlikely)
~ B. Haywood (also unlikely)

What would I like to do?

I'd trade Turner, Jones, Olynyk & Babb to TOR for DeRozen, then sign J. Holmes. I don't love DD's game, but I'd be interested to see if he could flourish here, and at the end of the day I'd rather have him and Holmes that that package.

One other option is more creative: S&T for an outstanding FA. Example: S&T Turner & Olynyk for Jeff Withey at $5mil per season. Make it a 3-year deal with the last 2 years non-guaranteed to meet league rules. Figure out how to get a pick out of it. Don't obsess about the player... it's just about assets / roster management.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Roster Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
The most probable scenario is that they simply cut PJ3.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:44:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Derozan is the only name that excites me much at all.

Some names that could be in play purely as a consolidation move for a large contract:

Deng
Nene
Pekovic

Not really interesting or exciting, but you need big contracts if you're talking about a 3 for 1 kinda deal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 06:46:22 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think it's pretty clear that either Sully or KO is going to be gone. They are just too redundant.

I also saw where Casey said he wants Toronto to be a more defensive-minded team this year. Perhaps we could do something like Bradley and a pick, Bradley and Turner, or Bradley and KO/Sully for Derozan? That could clear up some of the logjam we have, and it could give us our badly needed 3-man.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 06:47:26 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Not really interesting or exciting, but you need big contracts if you're talking about a 3 for 1 kinda deal.

Not if you're using Turner as your largest salary (i.e. Not Bradley).

By the way, Turner, Sully and Babb (presumably plus a low pick) works for DeRozen.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 06:54:19 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
I think it's pretty clear that either Sully or KO is going to be gone. They are just too redundant.

I also saw where Casey said he wants Toronto to be a more defensive-minded team this year. Perhaps we could do something like Bradley and a pick, Bradley and Turner, or Bradley and KO/Sully for Derozan? That could clear up some of the logjam we have, and it could give us our badly needed 3-man.

Yeah, I saw an article about that on RaptorsHQ and had the same idea. However, I've seen mention of theoretically acquiring DeRozan without dealing AB, then using DD as a 3. I think this could be a viable alternative as using DeRozan at the 2 with our current lineup would be a spacing nightmare:

Smart
DeRozan
Crowder
Lee
Amir

None of those guys are remotely reliable from deep.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 07:03:04 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I believe some combination of Turner, Sully/KO, and Zeller/Young works for Faried. Not ideal, but I wouldn't hate it for a few reasons.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 07:06:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

By the way, Turner, Sully and Babb (presumably plus a low pick) works for DeRozen.

Yeah, sure, I'm just not sure who's gonna trade us anybody that makes a deal worthwhile if the Ohio State duo is the heart of the package.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 07:08:48 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I believe some combination of Turner, Sully/KO, and Zeller/Young works for Faried. Not ideal, but I wouldn't hate it for a few reasons.

I just don't see trading for a 1 or 4, particularly one who is going to sap cap space. Get a 3 or a 5, or maybe a 2 if it's a very good player. The possible exception to me is Bennett, as a reclamation project.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
ET needs to hit the road

He is standing smack dabb in the middle of the road blocking the Celtics progress

Just let go......write it off.......wave him........kick him.......just get him off the team

Rather have Holmes......than ET or Young.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 07:11:34 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Yeah, sure, I'm just not sure who's gonna trade us anybody that makes a deal worthwhile if the Ohio State duo is the heart of the package.

Might mean DeRozen is too ambitious. But I doubt the Raps can get a meaningful package for Him.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Might mean DeRozen is too ambitious. But I doubt the Raps can get a meaningful package for Him.

This. DeRozan is one of the most perennially overvalued players on this board. There's not a huge market for an expiring, inefficient, SG who can't shoot or play defense, and wants an inordinately large contract next year. Furthermore, the Raptors aren't even that committed to him. 'Prying' DD from the Raptors won't be that difficult.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 07:26:53 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
With Toronto committing multi-year deals to Ross and Joseph, I doubt they have much interest in Bradley. 

So then our offer becomes some combo of Olynyk and picks.  Looking at it from Toronto's side, that kind of package is a little too much of a rebuilding move for a team that's trying to win now.  While the picks would be nice, its a tough sell to an impatient fan base.

Considering the assets we have on offer, most likely we'll be dealing with a bad team looking to get youth & picks, or a sort-of bad team trying to get better with an eye towards the future. 

As far as I can tell, after taking all of that into consideration the most likely target is Gordon Heyward. 

Utah has been bad with him as their best player, and are in a similar position as the C's assets/players/expectations wise.  If they see the future in the hands of Exum/Gobert -- they might like the idea of cashing in on Heyward.

I'd offer Bradley, Olynyk & Young along with two of our three 2016 firsts & a raft of 2016 seconds. 

That deal would put them in much better position cap-wise, as they'd be getting two rookie contracts back along with AB's team friendly $7.7/3 year deal.  Helpful also that we'd be able to absorb approx. a third of Gordon's $15M salary with our remaining cap space. 

On the court, they could commit more mpg to the prospect Hood, and also park a solid veteran defender alongside Exum in Bradley.  It would also give Burks the opportunity to step into a full time scorers role, which he is certainly ready for.  They were reportedly high on Olynyk, who would seem to fit nicely alongside Gobert.  And the key here is that Utah still has low expectations, so adding some of Danny's picks to their coffers is probably worth moving their quote unquote best player.

For the Celts, we reunite Stevens with his old collegiate blue chipper who is another guy capable of knocking down the 3 and playing multiple positions on defense.

Smart / Thomas / Rozier
Heyward / Hunter
Crowder / PJ3
Johnson / Sully
Lee / Zeller / Mickey

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 07:28:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
It coming down the pike ...eventually

KO , Sully , young and TWO first rd.

For Cousins

I just feel it happening .....2016

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 07:32:33 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
It coming down the pike ...eventually

KO , Sully , young and TWO first rd.

For Cousins

I just feel it happening .....2016

We've probably passed the Lakers in the arms race, if that still matters to Vlade...

Still, takes two to tango.