Author Topic: Embiid rebroke foot , wil miss next season too !  (Read 47134 times)

Re: Embiid rebroke foot , wil miss next season too !
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 01:24:21 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Sorry it's happening to this kid.

Exceptionally PLEASED that it's happening to Philly as just karma for their continued tankapalooza.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 01:43:27 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
If the Sixers don't pick up his option for year 3 I want this guy.

Do you want Yao Ming too ?

Yao, Embiid and Oden ... That`s a heck of a frontline !! instant contention :D

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 02:44:42 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I always think back to that amazing pre-draft workout thing he did--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp7PX7hYUFQ

and wonder if he was pumped full of pain-killers, cortisone, or whatever and going for broke [-en bones] to get a paycheck.

He looks so freaking exciting in all those old draft clips. I really want to see him in the NBA some day, but the more time goes by the more I think he is going to follow in Greg Oden's broken footsteps.

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 02:48:58 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Sucks, this kid looked like he had a bright future, agree Philly deserves it though.

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 02:57:02 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Sad hope he recovers and is able to live up to at least some of the great potential he showed.

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The story cited by SB Nation.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/Embiid_re-broke_same_bone_in_injured_foot.html

This is actually new and huge news. Embiid re-broke it, didn't know it, and the break apparently didn't happen due to anything like the normal pounding that comes from playing NBA ball. Tough luck for Embiid, who I believe had immense potential, but this bodes very poorly for his future. Huge blow for the Sixers too.

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 03:18:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sixers have to hope that because Embiid is still a young man growing into his body, his bones will become stronger in the future.

Thing is, even if Embiid is a total bust, the Sixers still have two center prospects better than any prospects the Celts currently have, plus a fairly highly touted combo-forward prospect overseas.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 03:25:43 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I think the "Another Greg Oden" is completely incorrect. Ok he's another big guy that got injured. In all actuality, he probably went in the draft right where he should have gone. How's Dante Exum been? Aaron Gordon? We're familiar with Marcus Smart, but up to this exact news, I don't have a doubt that Danny would have traded Marcus straight up for Embiid and I'm not even sure he wouldn't right now.

It's not a Greg Oden situation because no one passed up a Kevin Durant to take him. It's actually the opposite, two players who probably weren't as good prospects as Embiid were taken in front of him because of the injury concern.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think the "Another Greg Oden" is completely incorrect. Ok he's another big guy that got injured. In all actuality, he probably went in the draft right where he should have gone. How's Dante Exum been? Aaron Gordon? We're familiar with Marcus Smart, but up to this exact news, I don't have a doubt that Danny would have traded Marcus straight up for Embiid and I'm not even sure he wouldn't right now.

It's not a Greg Oden situation because no one passed up a Kevin Durant to take him. It's actually the opposite, two players who probably weren't as good prospects as Embiid were taken in front of him because of the injury concern.

I think it's more of a commentary on young big men with chronic foot issues who are crowned the next Hakeem and drafted really early. You're right that the draft situation is not the same, but the players are fundamentally similar. In terms of draft situation, Bowie and Oden are the two big men who are most similar.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 03:35:14 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

I wouldn't classify Wiggins and Parker as just good prospects.

Saying Embiid was an acceptable risk instead of picking between Exum, Gordon, and Smart is a different story. Danny did say he would have taken Embiid if he was available at 6.  He would have had to pick between Embiid, Smart, and Randle, and there were a lot of doubters on Randle, so it wouldn't have been much of a reach. Both the Sixers and Celtics had enough future picks to take a flyer on a high risk guy and prior to the players union screwing both teams, both had very enviable cap positions going forward at the time of the 2014 draft.

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 03:49:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Sixers have to hope that because Embiid is still a young man growing into his body, his bones will become stronger in the future.

Thing is, even if Embiid is a total bust, the Sixers still have two center prospects better than any prospects the Celts currently have, plus a fairly highly touted combo-forward prospect overseas.

Ask any Sixer fan whether they would give up Okafor and Noel for a healthy Embiid.  I would.

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2015, 03:49:45 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

You're over-rating Noel and Saric. Noel's a defensive big who's a long way from being a passable offensive player. Saric was a third tier draftee in 2014 with a number of flaws including being a tweener swing-forward who is not a great shooter. As far as Saric's defense, being a Euro doesn't bode well for the NBA. Okafor's probably destined for a number of ASGs, but his obvious flaws (defensive reaction time, FT shooting) will keep him from being a transcendent player. A rich man's Al Jefferson looks like his ceiling.

Their future picks are nothing special, but for their own which they'll earn by being as bad as they've been constructed. Their cap room is redundant and who is going to want to go to a tanking team? Years away from being years away.

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

You're over-rating Noel and Saric. Noel's a defensive big who's a long way from being a passable offensive player. Saric was a third tier draftee in 2014 with a number of flaws including being a tweener swing-forward who is not a great shooter. As far as Saric's defense, being a Euro doesn't bode well for the NBA. Okafor's probably destined for a number of ASGs, but his obvious flaws (defensive reaction time, FT shooting) will keep him from being a transcendent player. A rich man's Al Jefferson looks like his ceiling.

Their future picks are nothing special, but for their own which they'll earn by being as bad as they've been constructed. Their cap room is redundant and who is going to want to go to a tanking team? Years away from being years away.

Noel would already be a passable offensive player if Brett Brown just told him to stop shooting jump shots. He's an elite finisher and good enough at the FT line to ward off the hack-a strategy.

Okafor is going to suck for multiple years defensively, but he's got a huge standing reach and the potential with Noel to maximize what should be his strength(bigger centers who would pin down Noel) while having a guy cover for his deficiencies(Noel's weak side shot blocking). Or they could both stagnate... But your vastly undervaluing them. Noel's got transcendent defensive potential.

And the Lakers picks, the Sac swaps, and a possible unprotected Sac pick the year after Boogie leaves are as good as any draft pick assets in the NBA. OKC is the equivalent w/ this years Clippers pick and the Heat pick is probably going to slot in around 20ish, that's not special but it's hardly the top end of their picks. 

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2015, 06:01:53 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
I'm glad Embiid got paid, because I don't think he's going to have an NBA career. Broken navicular bone without heavy activity? Bad bad sign. I am happy Philly's blatant tanking is taking a hit. (I have no real issue with any one of their picks and trades, but all of them in combination is really shameless to a degree that is terrible for the game and their fans - to take 3 straight high first rounders who you know won't play for at least a year or more is ridiculous, coupled with trading any player you have that has any NBA talent).

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2015, 06:21:25 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I'll guess he'll only dominate for 13 of the next 15 years :P