Author Topic: Embiid rebroke foot , wil miss next season too !  (Read 47252 times)

Re: Embiid rebroke foot , wil miss next season too !
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yep, me too.

Embiid will be worth all the Nets picks if he's cleared to be healthy moving forward. Not everyday you can get a potential great rim protector who can run the floor and has a developing post game. He'll be an All-Star if he's healthy, and while there's a chance the Nets picks could turn into a #1 overall selection, I'd still trade it for a healthy Embiid, as I know what I'll get from him. At worst, he could potentially give you 10/10/1 block per game, just by running the floor and defending, at worst. I can't imagine what he could do if he pans out.

If I recall, weren't you the one who was insisting the Cs needed to take Upshaw with #16 because he would be gone before they picked at #28?
TP - beat me to it.

Yep. I was that dude.

And I was wrong. I still think we should have picked him at #16, but I was wrong on that one.

My apologies.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2015, 04:43:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If Embiid were to become available and Celtic doctors looked him over and said, "He's definitely done for this season but afterward we have no reason to think he won't have a normal career from a health perspective," how much would you be willing to trade for him, if anything?
I wouldn't believe them and would low ball it. Maybe James Young a 2nd and a late first. And Ko. Maybe

I'd trade a first round pick for him, easy.

I understand the high risk, but with plenty of first round picks to spare, I'd be willing to take that gamble.

Well, the assumption in the question asked was that the celtics medical staff clears him and predicts a clean bill of health going forward, which is why I said the rest of our Nets picks. IF we assume he's healthy long term after the surgery , then he's totally worth all those picks and more. He's the mythical superstar big man celtics nation has been dreaming of.

Given the fact that the C's medical staff cleared him before the draft would leave a lot to be desired.

« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2015, 04:56:40 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Another double-digit page thread on Embiid? Really? Come on, y'all. This isn't a Sixers blog.

« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2015, 07:55:31 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Yep, me too.

Embiid will be worth all the Nets picks if he's cleared to be healthy moving forward. Not everyday you can get a potential great rim protector who can run the floor and has a developing post game. He'll be an All-Star if he's healthy, and while there's a chance the Nets picks could turn into a #1 overall selection, I'd still trade it for a healthy Embiid, as I know what I'll get from him. At worst, he could potentially give you 10/10/1 block per game, just by running the floor and defending, at worst. I can't imagine what he could do if he pans out.

If I recall, weren't you the one who was insisting the Cs needed to take Upshaw with #16 because he would be gone before they picked at #28?
TP - beat me to it.

Yep. I was that dude.

And I was wrong. I still think we should have picked him at #16, but I was wrong on that one.

My apologies.

I gave you a TP but you didn't need to apologize. Just know that most of these big men are fool's gold.

Realistically, what are Embiid's career chances at this point? Factoring in everything, I estimate is that there's at least a 50% chance he's a bust entirely due to injuries. There's probably only a 1 in 5 chance that he makes even one All-Star team. There is just too much working against him to think that he's anything but a massive boom/bust candidate with a far more likely bust side than boom side. There's a chance he will be a star, but that chance becomes less every day. He's a tantalizing talent to be sure, but the NBA is littered with the careers of tantalizing NBA big men who failed due to injuries.

Now I look at those BKYN picks and given what I know about the Nets today, there's a very high chance that one or more of those picks will wind up in the lottery. If I were a betting man, I would bet that all 3 of those picks will get used by the Celtics - the 2016 and 2018 picks plus the 2017 swap. So if someone asked me would I trade Embiid for the 7-9 pick, the 16-18 pick and the right to move up 5 draft spots - and I believe that is being quite conservative as to where these picks will fall since I think the Nets will suck worse than that - I'd laugh in their face. Why would I do that when that 7-9 pick offers equal to or a better chance of being a star in the first place (http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm)?

Here's the deal that most people aren't considering. Going in and getting Embiid is basically going all in on this NBA poker game. If it fails, the Celtics are likely doomed to mediocrity and then perhaps another round of tanking. They just won't have the pieces to make a play for another star and probably don't have the guys on the roster to make it happen on their own. Mid round Boston/Dallas 1st rounders and a host of 2nd rounder just won't work. So offering up what some people are throwing around for Embiid, that's it. That's the money shot.

Personally, that's not a good enough chance for me to roll those dice. I like this roster. I think it has great potential. But it's not finished yet and I would much rather have the option of having the bullets in the gun to either being able to use those all of those bullets to fire at more of a sure thing or have the option of having multiple shots at different targets.

Besides, 2016 is the big offseason for the Celtics with cap space, free agents, many draft choices, etc. If the Cs strike out, Embiid will still be there. He won't be playing this year so he can't help this team this year. His value isn't going to go up appreciably because he won't be playing. If it all shakes out in 2016 and Embiid looks like the best option, then going all in on him at that point is still an option. But to do it now makes virtually no sense whatsoever.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 08:09:42 AM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2015, 09:05:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
If Embiid were to become available and Celtic doctors looked him over and said, "He's definitely done for this season but afterward we have no reason to think he won't have a normal career from a health perspective," how much would you be willing to trade for him, if anything?
I wouldn't believe them and would low ball it. Maybe James Young a 2nd and a late first. And Ko. Maybe

I understand the high risk, but with plenty of first round picks to spare, I'd be willing to take that gamble.

Well, the assumption in the question asked was that the celtics medical staff clears him and predicts a clean bill of health going forward, which is why I said the rest of our Nets picks. IF we assume he's healthy long term after the surgery , then he's totally worth all those picks and more. He's the mythical superstar big man celtics nation has been dreaming of.

Given the fact that the C's medical staff cleared him before the draft would leave a lot to be desired.
Right, a medical staff clearing him isn't a guarantee he'd be better. It's also not a guarantee that he'd be able to get back onto the track he was on before getting injured. Still, I think I'd give up quite a lot for a gamble on his health.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2015, 09:37:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Right, a medical staff clearing him isn't a guarantee he'd be better. It's also not a guarantee that he'd be able to get back onto the track he was on before getting injured. Still, I think I'd give up quite a lot for a gamble on his health.

I'm not sure what you consider "a lot", but what made Embiid a special talent was his combination of youth, size, and athleticism. By the time he plays again he'll be 22 1/2, not old by any means, but missing out on these prime developmental years is significant. Especially when you consider how raw he was the last time we saw him. The last game he played was March 21, 2014 for Kansas, and the soonest he'll realistically be back is the season opener of the 16-17 season. That's a long layoff. The jury is still out on what his mobility will even be once he returns. He could've been special, but the sky is probably no longer the limit for his career prospects.

« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2015, 03:12:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

I'm not sure what you consider "a lot", but what made Embiid a special talent was his combination of youth, size, and athleticism. By the time he plays again he'll be 22 1/2, not old by any means, but missing out on these prime developmental years is significant. Especially when you consider how raw he was the last time we saw him. The last game he played was March 21, 2014 for Kansas, and the soonest he'll realistically be back is the season opener of the 16-17 season. That's a long layoff. The jury is still out on what his mobility will even be once he returns. He could've been special, but the sky is probably no longer the limit for his career prospects.
Totally. And lots of red flags. But if Philly wanted Sully for Embiid I'd have to consider it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2015, 09:52:16 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Yikes:
Embiid was determined to go to Vegas to party for the balance of the 10 days of summer league. While Embiid was in Vegas, he was mandated to wear the walking boot in advance of the second surgery, but Embiid not only refused to wear the boot, but he carried himself as if nothing was wrong with the foot, shooting jumpers and even occasionally dunking. These actions have given rise to the theory that Embiid actually re-broke his foot, rather than the initial injury not healing properly. It also led to Embiid having the surgery a month later than the club originally had hoped.

This type of disregard for instruction also extends to Embiid’s dietary habits. Per a source, the Sixers’ training staff was so concerned about what he was eating, they stocked the refrigerator in his downtown hotel residence each week with healthy food. When a staffer went to restock the fridge each week, most everything was uneaten and unopened, and they were throwing out the fruits and vegetables every week. When the team subsequently asked to see Embiid’s room service bill, they found that most days he was ordering junk food along with his signature beverage, a pitcher of Shirley Temples. Embiid also was frequently seen feasting on chicken fingers and hot dogs at and after games.
http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/10/16/philadelphia-76ers-sam-hinkie-joel-embiid-brett-brown-process

« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2015, 09:55:51 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yikes:
Embiid was determined to go to Vegas to party for the balance of the 10 days of summer league. While Embiid was in Vegas, he was mandated to wear the walking boot in advance of the second surgery, but Embiid not only refused to wear the boot, but he carried himself as if nothing was wrong with the foot, shooting jumpers and even occasionally dunking. These actions have given rise to the theory that Embiid actually re-broke his foot, rather than the initial injury not healing properly. It also led to Embiid having the surgery a month later than the club originally had hoped.

This type of disregard for instruction also extends to Embiid’s dietary habits. Per a source, the Sixers’ training staff was so concerned about what he was eating, they stocked the refrigerator in his downtown hotel residence each week with healthy food. When a staffer went to restock the fridge each week, most everything was uneaten and unopened, and they were throwing out the fruits and vegetables every week. When the team subsequently asked to see Embiid’s room service bill, they found that most days he was ordering junk food along with his signature beverage, a pitcher of Shirley Temples. Embiid also was frequently seen feasting on chicken fingers and hot dogs at and after games.
http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/10/16/philadelphia-76ers-sam-hinkie-joel-embiid-brett-brown-process

Yeah even setting aside the (major) injury concerns, Embiid sounds like he has some serious maturity issues to boot.  What a shame. 

« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2015, 10:14:06 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
The guy is a clown!

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/76ers-joel-embiid-physically-threatened-strength-coach-101615?cmpid=feed:-sports-FOX-News

The fact that Brown sent Embiid home from a West Coast road trip last season for being insubordinate to the team’s strength coach and training staff is well documented, but according to a source, the tipping point in the decision was Embiid physically threatening the strength coach on that road trip. According to sources, this followed a pattern of insubordination from Embiid during the rehabilitation of his initial foot injury that sidelined him for the entire 2014–15 season, where he would repeatedly refuse to answer questions from the training staff about his workouts and therapy sessions.

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2015, 11:03:21 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I'm glad to have Marcus Smart.

« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2015, 11:22:48 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
1.  As good as Embiid was/is supposed to be, there's no way Philly should have let him get past 3.  What they should have done, however, is trade him to Boston or someone and get back a lower lottery pick in that draft, a player and at least one future first.

2.  If the reports about his attitude are accurate, it's hard to say what a team can really do about it.  I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if Philly had SOMEBODY on the team with enough NBA credibility to take Embiid to task.  Who can really talk to him?  His coach who hasn't won anything?  His teammates who haven't won anything?  Management that is trying to make the team as bad as they can?

Mike 

« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2015, 11:45:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
1.  As good as Embiid was/is supposed to be, there's no way Philly should have let him get past 3.  What they should have done, however, is trade him to Boston or someone and get back a lower lottery pick in that draft, a player and at least one future first.

2.  If the reports about his attitude are accurate, it's hard to say what a team can really do about it.  I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if Philly had SOMEBODY on the team with enough NBA credibility to take Embiid to task.  Who can really talk to him?  His coach who hasn't won anything?  His teammates who haven't won anything?  Management that is trying to make the team as bad as they can?

Mike 
considering the heat Sully is taking for his supposed attitude and maturity here, I can only imagine the poop-storm Embiid would be creating if he was here. 

This guy's stock has got to be dropping rapidly where I'd be surprised if the Sixers get a first round pick higher than 20 right now for him.

the one bright spot (other than Philly still sucking) is it points out the perils of putting together a horrendous roster to purposely tank for a high draft pick to rely on a young kid to turn around your franchise.

« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2015, 12:23:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Didn't Philly expressly trade for Mbah a Moute during Embiid's rookie season so that he might serve as a mentor?

the one bright spot (other than Philly still sucking) is it points out the perils of putting together a horrendous roster to purposely tank for a high draft pick to rely on a young kid to turn around your franchise.

That was my immediate reaction too; I wondered whether I was being unfair.

I still can't help but remember Embiid's face during the draft broadcast when he learned he was taken by Philly. I wonder if these shenanigans are his ill-conceived way of trying to get himself traded. It's a bad strategy; I think he's jeopardizing his career. Cutting off his nose to spite his face.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2015, 12:26:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Didn't Philly expressly trade for Mbah a Moute during Embiid's rookie season so that he might serve as a mentor?

That was my immediate reaction too; I wondered whether I was being unfair.

I still can't help but remember Embiid's face during the draft broadcast when he learned he was taken by Philly. I wonder if these shenanigans are his ill-conceived way of trying to get himself traded. It's a bad strategy; I think he's jeopardizing his career. Cutting off his nose to spite his face.

I think this reflects the normal struggles of a young kid coming from nothing who suddenly has everything available to him (junk food, night life, etc). It will take some time for anyone in such a situation to adjust and mature. He doesnt have the background, exposure, and education that many of the other young guys coming into the league have with this lifestyle. He also hasn't been playing basketball nearly as long as any of the other guys coming into the league, so his lack of understanding of what it takes to achieve and maintain top conditioning is very limited.