Author Topic: Ty Lawson traded to the Houston Rockets  (Read 14382 times)

Re: Ty Lawson traded to the Houston Rockets
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2015, 10:41:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
That trade does not work, at least according to the ESPN Trade Machine.

They need to send out at least one more non-guarenteed, minimum contract by my math. Unless they plan to send out Harrell, Jones, Motiejunas, Capella, or Dekker, I don't think they have that contract on their roster.

I wonder if this is part of a bigger deal that's brewing, or if they need a third party to help them facilitate the trade.

It works just fine per the CBA.  Trade Machine might not work.

Because Houston will be below the luxury tax line after this deal, they need to send out $8,203,063 in salaries.  The proposed trade has them sending out $8,446,821 in salary, so they're sending out just as much as they need to.

Also, for those curious (since I know you all are,) only $2.3 million of that $8.4 million incoming is guaranteed to the respective players, and only Nick Johnson is not an expiring (and he's at the minimum next season).  So Denver can save $10 million this year and over $12 million next year, plus a lot of Aspirin.  And they get a 1st this year barring Houston unexpectedly being a lotto team.  Good deal for them, given that Lawson had to go.

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2015, 10:52:36 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

They need to send out at least one more non-guarenteed, minimum contract by my math. Unless they plan to send out Harrell, Jones, Motiejunas, Capella, or Dekker, I don't think they have that contract on their roster.

I wonder if this is part of a bigger deal that's brewing, or if they need a third party to help them facilitate the trade.

Because Houston will be below the luxury tax line after this deal, they need to send out $8,203,063 in salaries.  The proposed trade has them sending out $8,446,821 in salary, so they're sending out just as much as they need to.

I don't understand what the tax line has to do with that? So, they are allowed to receive more salary (than the normal 125%) if they are under the tax line?

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2015, 10:54:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
whole lot of nothing going to Denver for Lawson.  should hopefully open some eyes here for people who were proposing things like Sully, AB, Turner and a pick for him====undervaluing our players way too much

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
whole lot of nothing going to Denver for Lawson.  should hopefully open some eyes here for people who were proposing things like Sully, AB, Turner and a pick for him====undervaluing our players way too much

To be fair, Lawson destroyed his value and Denver was desperate to get rid of him.

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 10:59:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Wow.  Houston gets a borderline All-Star caliber player for peanuts.  Well done.  Interested to see how it works out.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 11:05:06 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

To be fair, Lawson destroyed his value and Denver was desperate to get rid of him.

Yup,  those packages were discussed pre-DUI.  That would have been an overpay given his current situation.  I think people undervaluing Celtics players is the least of our problems around here  ;D

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 11:07:15 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I freaking love this deal for Houston. This deal confirms their the sixth western conference powerhouse. I would have liked it if they re-signed Smoove but they have serviceable 4s in Jones and Demo + Lawson is a much more suitable #3 guy for their team than Smith was, even if Smith fit in well with them last year.

Spurs/Warriors/Clippers/Thunder/Rockets/Grizzlies. Have you ever seen an arms race quite like this one ever in your lifetime as a basketball fan?

PREPARE FOR WAR!!!!

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 11:08:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't understand what the tax line has to do with that? So, they are allowed to receive more salary (than the normal 125%) if they are under the tax line?

Yes.  If you are under the tax and send out up to $9.8 million, you can take back 150% + $100k.  If you're over $9.8 million but under $19.6 million you can take back what you send out plus $5 million.  Above $19.6 million, it's the same for taxpayers and non-taxpayers (125% +$100k).

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 11:09:48 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Any team that traded for Lawson I would probably look down upon. He needs a very stiff penalty from the league. It couldn't happen to a more suitable team. I dislike Houston quite a bit. They're not going to win a title with that team so I'm good.

SA,GS,OKC, and CLE are all better teams.

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 11:21:13 PM »

Offline Donnie Yen

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Wow, Houston is going to be tough now. Great move for both Ty and Houston.

Spurs, GS, LAC, Houston.... That might be the best four team grouping in a single conference ever. As long as LA doesn't come out of the West, I'm happy!

Jlhopefully this means we can get Gallo for a decent price now since they're apparently tanking!

LA, Portland, Minny, Denver, Philly, NY, and Detroit. Hard to see Dallas being worse than those teams, too.

Not sure I put Hou or LAC above OKC, tbh. Unless we're operating under the assumption that KD is no longer the same player anymore, or will miss significant time again. Otherwise, I see OKC having one of the best records in the league next season.

But I get your general sentiment, about this year's WC being one of the GOAT conferences ever...

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2015, 11:46:40 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Adrian Wojnarowski??
?@WojYahooNBA   Prigioni is guaranteed only $440K of his deal if waived by Monday. Denver will trade or waive him in next 24 hours, sources tell Yahoo.

I guess that's something to look out for tomorrow.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2015, 12:26:59 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Yes.  If you are under the tax and send out up to $9.8 million, you can take back 150% + $100k.  If you're over $9.8 million but under $19.6 million you can take back what you send out plus $5 million.  Above $19.6 million, it's the same for taxpayers and non-taxpayers (125% +$100k).

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2015, 02:00:25 AM »

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
Wow! Morey's mojo worked again!

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2015, 04:03:25 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I think it just goes to show there isn't a huge demand out there for PGs right now, even borderline all-star ones. Also, that it's easier to trade for a veteran guy when your team is already established. It's harder if you're a rebuilding team that isn't really ready to contend anytime soon.

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2015, 05:02:56 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I think it just goes to show there isn't a huge demand out there for PGs right now, even borderline all-star ones. Also, that it's easier to trade for a veteran guy when your team is already established. It's harder if you're a rebuilding team that isn't really ready to contend anytime soon.

Agree, and it might be the most suitable place right now for Lawson to get his s... together.
Houston will be fun to watch in the playoffs.