Author Topic: Denver wants to sign Gallo to an extension  (Read 3301 times)

Re: Denver wants to sign Gallo to an extension
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 11:19:38 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Look like a desperate attempt to get better value in trades.
If they extend him, that's good news for our Nets pick.
what does he have to do with the Nets pick?

I was wondering the same thing..

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Apparently they could sign him to a two year extension and then trade him immediately. Maybe they are looking to do that to improve his trade value. Teams would give a lot more for a guy on a 3 year deal than someone who is expiring.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/17/report-nuggets-want-to-extend-danilo-gallinaris-contract/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 11:57:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Two angles to this.

1) Interest in trading him because he's expiring, but they prefer to keep him so extend him.

2) No one wants to trade for his expiring, but maybe have shown interest in trading for him if he's on a longer contract (depending on $$$).

There are probably more, but those are the obvious ones that come to mind without giving it too much thought.

Danny would very much like to trade for him on an expiring contract. He'd have an expiring starting SF, PF, and C, so if a player came available to us (via trade or free agency) he could let go of whatever one of Gallo, Lee, or Johnson played the same position and resign the other two and maintain a really solid starting lineup, or he could just let them all go and have a ton of money. Maximum flexibility

I don't see any angle in which Danny wouldn't prefer to trade for him in a contract that's more than one year. Him being an expiring is of little value to us, particularly if we have to send value to acquire him.

This isn't a Wallace for Lee type of deal. You're giving up actual assets to acquire him, and you don't do that for a one year loan.

The only way I can see interest in a one-year deal is if we are using expiring contracts as well and heavily protected pick/s.

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 12:40:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Two angles to this.

1) Interest in trading him because he's expiring, but they prefer to keep him so extend him.

2) No one wants to trade for his expiring, but maybe have shown interest in trading for him if he's on a longer contract (depending on $$$).

There are probably more, but those are the obvious ones that come to mind without giving it too much thought.

Danny would very much like to trade for him on an expiring contract. He'd have an expiring starting SF, PF, and C, so if a player came available to us (via trade or free agency) he could let go of whatever one of Gallo, Lee, or Johnson played the same position and resign the other two and maintain a really solid starting lineup, or he could just let them all go and have a ton of money. Maximum flexibility

I don't see any angle in which Danny wouldn't prefer to trade for him in a contract that's more than one year. Him being an expiring is of little value to us, particularly if we have to send value to acquire him.

This isn't a Wallace for Lee type of deal. You're giving up actual assets to acquire him, and you don't do that for a one year loan.

The only way I can see interest in a one-year deal is if we are using expiring contracts as well and heavily protected pick/s.
completely agree. Danny has been adding 1 year deal guys left and right here, but the thing to remember with all these deals is that Danny has not given up anything more than 1 year assets (1 year in cap space, expiring of Gwallace) when Danny has given up long term assets it has been for long term pieces (Isaiah Thomas).

I think if Danny is getting Gallo he isnt going to trade anything other than expiring contracts he isnt very interested in resigning.

perhaps sully, perhaps turner. I dont see Danny including any 1st rounders, or longer term assets. Even KO.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.