Author Topic: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 Celtics (3-0) vs Blazers (2-2)  (Read 45632 times)

Re: Vegas Summer League: Game 4 Celtics (3-0) vs Blazers (2-2)
« Reply #405 on: July 17, 2015, 02:08:51 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Look, I realize that it's only a summer league game, but my god, can there be one possession where someone, anyone, passes the dam ball (I'm looking at you, Marcus Thornton)?  Yeezus Christ ;) ;D.

Also, if Young's going to be out there, he might as well bring something to read, or at least his phone, because they apparently have no interest in running anything for him, while RJ is coming off of picks all the time.  What's the point in even being out there if the only thing they have you do is stand where the corner threes are taken?  Pathetic.

Thank you. This is why I'm defending Young, because these past few games he's been playing, they absolutely don't let him run any type of offense. And I also dislike the fact a few times hes driving to the hoop, and there is absolutely NO foul call.. In late 3rd quarter, he drove, and there was plenty contact especially around his arms when he fell back.

I'm willing to be patient with Young especially if hes forcing the defense to guard him closer, and if they sag off him, I hope hes willing to pop the 3.

But seriously though... are they running any plays for him, or are they okay with him waiting in the corner for the 3..?

Yeah, so much for player development, lol ;D ::). Ugh; and it's not like I expect the guy to be Pierce, but I would like to see him play more with the ball in his hands, like he did in the d-league.   Maybe he's more effective that way as of right now, but at this rate we'll never know.  Check out these highlights.  Sure, he attempted plenty of spot-ups, but he also took of shots as the primary ball handler.  How in the world are you supposed to develop as a player if you're playing as the man in the d-league and then absolutely nothing in NBA games, never mind the summer league?  I'm not saying to give him the keys to the offense, but Stevens should recognize Young's skills and put him in situations in which he can be successful.  Oh wait, never mind - he's too busy doing the same thing to Smart by having him jack up all of these 3s instead of allowing him to play his game (slashing, post ups, midrange jumpers, etc.), and I agree with LarBrd33 - if he was on another team, I think his shooting percentages and scoring output would be much better.  Sorry for the tangent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXE8xYzmqHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoOM_eVJiyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stfTh98D_1k
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:46:34 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #406 on: July 17, 2015, 02:19:28 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #407 on: July 17, 2015, 02:45:45 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I know that I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but imo, Rozier is already better than Smart, and Vonleh is better than both of them.  What a player.  Rozier couldn't get around that guy, and that's saying a lot.  Man I wish that we had him (Vonleh).  Sigh.

No way Rozier is already better than smart. I'll give you that he already has some  moves in his pocket in terms of getting to the rim that Smart does not. Overall though, Smart is still the more well rounded player. I like Vonleh's game, but dont blow it out of proportion. Couldnt even crack the rotation in charlotte, whereas marcus smart was a starter on a playoff team

Not sure that he's better now, but I think there's a good chance he will be some day.

As for Vonleh yeh - I actually wanted Danny to take him on draft day (Smart was my second choice though).

Way too young, physically gifted and skilled to not become good.

« Reply #408 on: July 17, 2015, 02:49:09 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I know that I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but imo, Rozier is already better than Smart, and Vonleh is better than both of them.  What a player.  Rozier couldn't get around that guy, and that's saying a lot.  Man I wish that we had him (Vonleh).  Sigh.

Much of Vonleh's outburst came with Sampson on him. Sampson just let him shoot those 3s.

Vonleh is averaging around 17/9 and > 50% FG in the Summer league.  I thinkhe's also shooting 50% from three after this game.

Kid is a beast.

« Reply #409 on: July 17, 2015, 05:08:33 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Marc D'Amico

Terry Rozier says that he has the "ultimate eye of confidence to take big shots."

Very important trait.

« Reply #410 on: July 17, 2015, 05:58:09 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Look, I realize that it's only a summer league game, but my god, can there be one possession where someone, anyone, passes the dam ball (I'm looking at you, Marcus Thornton)?  Yeezus Christ ;) ;D.

Also, if Young's going to be out there, he might as well bring something to read, or at least his phone, because they apparently have no interest in running anything for him, while RJ is coming off of picks all the time.  What's the point in even being out there if the only thing they have you do is stand where the corner threes are taken?  Pathetic.

Thank you. This is why I'm defending Young, because these past few games he's been playing, they absolutely don't let him run any type of offense. And I also dislike the fact a few times hes driving to the hoop, and there is absolutely NO foul call.. In late 3rd quarter, he drove, and there was plenty contact especially around his arms when he fell back.

I'm willing to be patient with Young especially if hes forcing the defense to guard him closer, and if they sag off him, I hope hes willing to pop the 3.

But seriously though... are they running any plays for him, or are they okay with him waiting in the corner for the 3..?

Yeah, so much for player development, lol ;D ::). Ugh; and it's not like I expect the guy to be Pierce, but I would like to see him play more with the ball in his hands, like he did in the d-league.   Maybe he's more effective that way as of right now, but at this rate we'll never know.  Check out these highlights.  Sure, he attempted plenty of spot-ups, but he also took of shots as the primary ball handler.  How in the world are you supposed to develop as a player if you're playing as the man in the d-league and then absolutely nothing in NBA games, never mind the summer league?  I'm not saying to give him the keys to the offense, but Stevens should recognize Young's skills and put him in situations in which he can be successful.  Oh wait, never mind - he's too busy doing the same thing to Smart by having him jack up all of these 3s instead of allowing him to play his game (slashing, post ups, midrange jumpers, etc.), and I agree with LarBrd33 - if he was on another team, I think his shooting percentages and scoring output would be much better.  Sorry for the tangent.

I agree with that. Young's offense looks off to me. I don't know if it's a choice from the coach to force him to play that way or if the SL coaches simply don't have a clue on how to fully utilize him.
I'm just waiting for Brad to do the right thing with him in training camp.

« Reply #411 on: July 17, 2015, 07:19:22 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I still think people want James Young to be further along than he actually is.  When we got him he needed to make a lot of progress in physical development, mental development, and skill development (particularly to do anything with his right hand).

I think he's individually shown progress in all, but is struggling to put them together right now.  He clearly knows he needs to be able to go right a at least a little bit, but still isn't comfortable actually doing it. Also, he still looks a step slow in realizing what play he wants to make and actually executing it.  For example, last night when he fell down at the top of the 3-point line making a pass to the man on the other side of the court, I was actually encouraged by this play because I thought I saw him realize the initial read he made would have been a bad decision that lead to a turnover, so he should choose plan B, however he realized it a tick late, and also overcommitted his body positioning to his first read, so he lost his balance changing his mind.

He NEEDS minutes right now.  He has a lot of individual steps going on in his development right now that he needs to get confident piecing together.  I hope he stays healthy so he can play a lot in the remaining SL games, as well as in the pre-season when that roles around.

I'm not saying he actually will be able to piece it all together to be anything good/great, but I think he's working towards it and just isn't at a place where the efforts collectively look like they've lead to much yet even though he is making some progress.

« Reply #412 on: July 17, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I still think people want James Young to be further along than he actually is.  When we got him he needed to make a lot of progress in physical development, mental development, and skill development (particularly to do anything with his right hand).

I think he's individually shown progress in all, but is struggling to put them together right now.  He clearly knows he needs to be able to go right a at least a little bit, but still isn't comfortable actually doing it. Also, he still looks a step slow in realizing what play he wants to make and actually executing it.  For example, last night when he fell down at the top of the 3-point line making a pass to the man on the other side of the court, I was actually encouraged by this play because I thought I saw him realize the initial read he made would have been a bad decision that lead to a turnover, so he should choose plan B, however he realized it a tick late, and also overcommitted his body positioning to his first read, so he lost his balance changing his mind.

He NEEDS minutes right now.  He has a lot of individual steps going on in his development right now that he needs to get confident piecing together.  I hope he stays healthy so he can play a lot in the remaining SL games, as well as in the pre-season when that roles around.

I'm not saying he actually will be able to piece it all together to be anything good/great, but I think he's working towards it and just isn't at a place where the efforts collectively look like they've lead to much yet even though he is making some progress.

I thought he was fouled on that play you mentioned when he fell, defender tripped his leg.

« Reply #413 on: July 17, 2015, 08:55:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Vonleh is averaging around 17/9 and > 50% FG in the Summer league.  I thinkhe's also shooting 50% from three after this game.

Kid is a beast.

Beast is summer league and a cast off in the NBA, go figure.

« Reply #414 on: July 17, 2015, 09:20:52 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

« Reply #415 on: July 17, 2015, 09:27:40 AM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55

No way Rozier is already better than smart. I'll give you that he already has some  moves in his pocket in terms of getting to the rim that Smart does not. Overall though, Smart is still the more well rounded player. I like Vonleh's game, but dont blow it out of proportion. Couldnt even crack the rotation in charlotte, whereas marcus smart was a starter on a playoff team

Not sure that he's better now, but I think there's a good chance he will be some day.

As for Vonleh yeh - I actually wanted Danny to take him on draft day (Smart was my second choice though).

The Celtics passed on Vonleh due to character concerns: https://twitter.com/mikeascotto/status/482316992486313984
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #416 on: July 17, 2015, 09:44:43 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

The Celtics passed on Vonleh due to character concerns: https://twitter.com/mikeascotto/status/482316992486313984

I'll have to see him play in the regular season before I regret that decision too much. He still looks like a one-dimensional forward aside from the fact he was hot from shooting wide open threes last night. Athletically he's gifted though.