Author Topic: Let's talk trading for Noah again  (Read 2056 times)

Let's talk trading for Noah again
« on: July 16, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Maybe we could make some deal that uses our cap space to save Chicago some money. We could stand to lose Sully, Turner, KO and Young. Does anyone know for sure if we could use Jones in a trade for Noah? Noah is at 13.4 mil we should have 5 or 6 mil of cap room. Sully and Turner is about 6 mil so I think we could make something work. Not sure what picks they would want and what we would give for a year rental.

Re: Let's talk trading for Noah again
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 10:45:29 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Since we are not in it to win yet, I don't see the point to take a good vet in the decline.
That's losing value each year he'll stay with us.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 03:05:42 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Maybe we could make some deal that uses our cap space to save Chicago some money. We could stand to lose Sully, Turner, KO and Young. Does anyone know for sure if we could use Jones in a trade for Noah? Noah is at 13.4 mil we should have 5 or 6 mil of cap room. Sully and Turner is about 6 mil so I think we could make something work. Not sure what picks they would want and what we would give for a year rental.

Joakim Noah is my favourite player in the NBA right now. But do you really think he would be happy here? We would need to trade at least three players to get him (e.g. Olynyk, Bradley and James Young http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qxksl8q). And then what? You'd be counting on an occasionally overweight and defensively not particularly intense player in Sullinger to lead you in scoring, Marc Smart to handle the team, without Bradley's sure hand - and for Perry Jones and Evan Turner to make sold contributions.

Noah is maybe the game's best defensive big man (yeah - SIT DOWN De'andre Jordan) because he plays so well within the team concept. Would we be wasting his skills here? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for him to go to - like Atlanta for Thiago Splitter?

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 03:19:57 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
We'd have the assets to get him but I'm not sure he's available. Chicago isn't rebuilding and if they trade Noah its to get an upgrade at this point.

That's something we don't have.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 03:22:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Noah would be useful

Would cost a bundle of something players and picks and money .

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 04:02:47 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
 Let's not, he can take play out his washed up career elsewhere.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 04:15:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Noah doesn't have much tread left.  He needs to play in the Andrew Bogut role for some team that's loaded offensively.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
We'd have the assets to get him but I'm not sure he's available. Chicago isn't rebuilding and if they trade Noah its to get an upgrade at this point.

That's something we don't have.
How are they going to upgrade without including a lot more than Noah.  Noah isn't an asset in that regard anymore. 

I actually don't think they need Noah.  I think they are better off with Pau and Gibson starting and Mirotic as the 3rd big.  They also have Portis.  They need a center to back-up Pau, but if moving Noah gets them a quality back-up center plus a good quality back-up wing, I think it is something they might consider.  Especially if they are younger and cheaper.  That is why I actually think Bradley and Zeller for Noah makes a lot of sense for Chicago.  Bradley can play with both Butler and Rose and Zeller is a nice quality back-up center.  Chicago shaves about 3 million off the books this year and have Bradley locked up long term and reasonable and Zeller is expiring (but won't command huge dollars next summer).  Bradley and Zeller will also help the Bulls continue their transition younger around Butler and Mirotic and Rose (if he can stay healthy.  Plust they also have McDermott and Portis who are young guys with at least some potential.

Bradley and Zeller for Noah

Makes sense for both teams.  Now given Noah's name and reputation I'm not sure that would be enough, and I'd probably throw in a protected 1st or two to get it done, but it shouldn't really be necessary. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 06:28:09 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Noah is one of the best (and plausible) acquisitions this team can make... at the right price.

Depending on what direction the franchise wants to move in and what occurs during the season, I can see Chicago moving on from Noah. They have a depth of talent that goes at least 2-deep at the 3-4-5:

Gasol - Noah - Portis
Noah - Gibson - Mirotic - McDermott - Portis
Dunleavy - Mirotic - McDermott

The Gasol-Noah pairing hasn't worked out as expected; I can foresee a situation, where one of the young players on the roster displays that he is ready for a starting role, is a better fit alongside Gasol, and will be under team control for the foreseeable future. They aren't going to pay Noah and Gibson (based on a notoriously frugal front office), and Noah's injury history and age might make him the odd man out (he might command a higher salary than Taj on the open market despite his age and injury history).

A deal where Chicago can gain valuable (cheap) pieces (a.k.a potential lottery picks) in exchange for half of a season of Noah would do it; and if he likes the team and the contract offered matches what's offered on the market, I think he would be likely to stay. I would trade the Mavericks 1st or Young and Grizzlies 1st (+ salary filler/Jerebko) for Noah.