Author Topic: The naked old guy at the gym  (Read 19293 times)

Re: The naked old guy at the gym
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 03:11:37 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Great topic. Equally disturbed, considered switching gyms multiple times.

The older generation (60+) does seem more comfortable in this regard. The comic strip definitely captured that. Although, I think there's a new breed of younger men latching onto the bare-bottom fun.

Older men have seemed to feel as though they are just simply comfortable with being scantily clad in the locker room, but the younger guys appear to have a different agenda... there seems to be quite a few young guns that have hit the lottery and appear to enjoy flashing their assets (prob not for trade, tho) with... everyone.
It can be totally different for some. I was told never to expose/ change clothes in front of people or even where tight clothes even in house when I was young so I have phobia of being seen by strangers now, all because only slight above average.
Thanks for sharing, man. That is really informative, gives a new perspective, and is appreciated. Crazy how environmental factors can make such significant, individual differences. That's all I study every day, and appreciate your perspective. I've found that no matter how hard you try to be open to different perspectives and experiences, there is always a lot to learn.

Yes, thanks for sharing. That is a pretty interesting perspective that throws a bit of a wrench in the theory myself and tarheelsxxiii shared via PM. So Csfan1984, did your parents recognize this above average problem and make these rules, thus causing the phobia? Maybe pops had the same "problem" and he knew the genetics would transfer?

Is size a factor in this generations hesitancy? Have we watched so many well endowed ****-stars on the internet that we now think we are inadequate? Or do we not want to show off? Does homophobia play a role?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 03:43:36 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Great topic. Equally disturbed, considered switching gyms multiple times.

The older generation (60+) does seem more comfortable in this regard. The comic strip definitely captured that. Although, I think there's a new breed of younger men latching onto the bare-bottom fun.

Older men have seemed to feel as though they are just simply comfortable with being scantily clad in the locker room, but the younger guys appear to have a different agenda... there seems to be quite a few young guns that have hit the lottery and appear to enjoy flashing their assets (prob not for trade, tho) with... everyone.
It can be totally different for some. I was told never to expose/ change clothes in front of people or even where tight clothes even in house when I was young so I have phobia of being seen by strangers now, all because only slight above average.
Thanks for sharing, man. That is really informative, gives a new perspective, and is appreciated. Crazy how environmental factors can make such significant, individual differences. That's all I study every day, and appreciate your perspective. I've found that no matter how hard you try to be open to different perspectives and experiences, there is always a lot to learn.

Yes, thanks for sharing. That is a pretty interesting perspective that throws a bit of a wrench in the theory myself and tarheelsxxiii shared via PM. So Csfan1984, did your parents recognize this above average problem and make these rules, thus causing the phobia? Maybe pops had the same "problem" and he knew the genetics would transfer?

Is size a factor in this generations hesitancy? Have we watched so many well endowed ****-stars on the internet that we now think we are inadequate? Or do we not want to show off? Does homophobia play a role?
It was step father who set the rule up after a few years with my mom so maybe it angered him that maybe my genetic father was bigger than him.

When it came to locker room showers after sports I always went in when no one was paying attention for 20secs and bolted out quick. I thought size would be mistaken for mild erection and people would call me gay. It's messed up but I was young and felt that.

Adult video and reading has help me know that above average is great, big means must be creative, average is best and small means you are a foreplay beast lol. You work with what you got. Being over 30 now has brought much wisdom.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:52:56 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 05:49:07 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Wow, what a topic! I am about to turn 50 so I am not sure where that puts me in the 'old man' category but I am thinking the 'old guys' at your gym probably just figure they are in a gym. If the 'young guy's' think it's inappropriate for the 'old guys' to walk around the gym naked then maybe they should consider who was at the gym first? Is it possible that the younger generation just maybe is the one doing it wrong?

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 06:18:07 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Better to watch naked women

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 07:30:47 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I wonder if women's locker rooms have similar phenomenons.

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 07:31:11 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
You guys really make me laugh.

This really is not a thing in the Netherlands.

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 07:45:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

I'm headed over to the gym in a few minutes

I'll check it out and get back to ya.

My next post ....

Will be from the police station . ;D

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 08:09:42 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

It's just the opposite.  The old women cover up while the young women dance around naked.  At least that's what I tell myself.

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 08:09:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
New theory.

Young men have good blood flow and are subconsciously aware they could get aroused due to various factors.

Older men don't worry about that.
Can't say I agree with this one.  LOL.  I've never experienced these various factors in a men's locker room. 

I swim at a pool which is heavily populated by old naked guys.  The worst thing is getting caught in long conversations with them while they are naked.  There are sometimes group conversations in the shower between several of them and they are a friendly group.  One day a couple of them started comparing tattoos with me in the shower!  I hurry out of there quickly nowadays!

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 08:33:38 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I have an entirely different theory, and it hinges on (1) self-selection of the type of elderly man who continues his gym-going and (2) dominance.

(1) Probably explains itself. As we age, we go to the gym less. The group that remains, and manages to continue gym-going into their 70s or whatever, is more overt.

(2) These overt men who remain are, by and large, alphas. Many are the same ones who, in high school, farted a lot, played a lot of grab-ass, and whatever else to knock classmates out of their comfort zones and assert dominance. As you grow up, you mellow, and those games become a lot more subtle. Dominance, for a 70yo man in a locker room full of fit younger men, is a far greater challenge, not to mention a much subtler enterprise. The simplest way to telegraph that you are still an alpha, not to mention to knock younger guys out of their comfort zone (which works or else you wouldn't have brought it up), is to whip it out and take it for a walk.

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
New theory

It's a conspiracy. The old guys are trying to get the locker room for themselves

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 09:02:17 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm in the "as you get older you care less camp." And I say this as a middle-aged guy who definitely cares less than I did at 20.

I mean, after a while you just get used to it, and you can pretty much mentally filter out what's in front of you.

Totally against nutsack-on-the-bench though. That's just a hygiene issue. Nor do I think it's appropriate to do something like bending over or twisting around, that contorts the body in weird ways. No one needs to see that.

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 09:11:01 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I have an entirely different theory, and it hinges on (1) self-selection of the type of elderly man who continues his gym-going and (2) dominance.

(1) Probably explains itself. As we age, we go to the gym less. The group that remains, and manages to continue gym-going into their 70s or whatever, is more overt.

(2) These overt men who remain are, by and large, alphas. Many are the same ones who, in high school, farted a lot, played a lot of grab-ass, and whatever else to knock classmates out of their comfort zones and assert dominance. As you grow up, you mellow, and those games become a lot more subtle. Dominance, for a 70yo man in a locker room full of fit younger men, is a far greater challenge, not to mention a much subtler enterprise. The simplest way to telegraph that you are still an alpha, not to mention to knock younger guys out of their comfort zone (which works or else you wouldn't have brought it up), is to whip it out and take it for a walk.

I disagree.  It's definately a generational thing.  15 to 20 years ago, middle aged guys and up were all walking around naked while younger guys did not.  Now it's just guys in their 60s and up.  I remember going into a gym locker room as a kid with my Dad and all the guys his age, guys in their 30s, were all hanging out naked.

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 09:13:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think #2 is probably pretty close to the mark.

unless this was the guy you saw at the gym

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2015, 09:14:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

It's just the opposite.  The old women cover up while the young women dance around naked.  At least that's what I tell myself.
TP - had me spitting out the coffee I was drinking when I read that.   
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 09:48:40 AM by slamtheking »