Author Topic: The naked old guy at the gym  (Read 19219 times)

Re: The naked old guy at the gym
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 09:58:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
New theory.

Young men have good blood flow and are subconsciously aware they could get aroused due to various factors.

Older men don't worry about that.

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 10:01:45 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
So first we need some posters who admit to being those old guys in the locker room--and then we need them to tell us whether they've always been that way.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 10:09:03 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Pretty sure this is oblig:

Yes. That just about sums it up.

I have noticed it and have been curious. I have a slightly separate issue though:I can't stand it when people don't dry off before leaving the shower area and heading back to the locker. It gets water everywhere. Interestingly, I never notice this being an issue with older guys without towels. Perhaps because they stand around after the shower, air drying and shooting the breeze. The young guys without towels leave wet footprints everywhere.

I nominate this topic for CB Hall of Fame, if such a thing is still allowed.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 10:14:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Should we all make a pact never to become those guys? This could be the gift we hand to the world. Only people writing master's thesises would ever find out this ever happened and only a Phd kid would be able to trace the moment to here. We can go down in history as the people that stopped this disturbing trend.

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 10:41:06 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Pretty sure this is oblig:

I nominate this topic for CB Hall of Fame, if such a thing is still allowed.

It has been 7 years since someone nominated one of my threads for the Hall. The last nomination had to do with a fight between my wife (then girlfriend) and I, and it produced this gem:

As an old man who had a long unfulfilling marriage and divorce and later a "love for the ages" that ended with her dying from cancer in my arms telling her how much I loved her, I might have some good advice for you. With a bad relationship, every setback leaves a scar. With a good one, every setback creates better understanding through communication and more trust. Fights are almost never about the issue being discussed but by deeper ones. If your girlfriend is feeling insecure, it may be because it is not clear to her what she means to you. And you need to figure out what that means. Love is defined as "unqualified positive regard" which means you don't love "although, but or except". My late love had a zillion flaws/quirks/weaknesses etc which irritated me on an hourly and daily basis. However in fact none of them mattered because I valued her beyond words for what she meant to me. I was a hardass engineering manager but she made my knees buckle because she knew every horrible flaw about me and still called me her hero so the feeling was mutual. You have to strip away all the "preferences" and get down to the core "requirements" that make each of us unique. If she meets all of those "requirements" you need to explain them to her at an emotional level. She will then know how much she means to you.
If she doesn't meet those core requirements, take the ring and run as far and as fast as you can..
By the way, the reverse is also true. She has to value you the same way. If she doesn't, you should also take the ring and run as fast as you can.
By the way, I am positive if my great love had a chance to run off with Sean Connery for a vacation,she would have been gone in an instant-LOL. However I knew she would come back to me. Jealousy doesn't come about in a true relationship because the other person always know how much they are valued.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 10:42:47 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
TP's all around by the way, let me know if I missed you. I loved reading these.

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Great topic!

Quick story, my father in law goes to the same gym as I do but were never there at the same time. One day we were though and I ran into him in the locker room. While were in the middle of a conversation about the Red Sox or something stupid like that he gets completely naked and continues the conversation. Keeping my eyes up, I indicated that I had to run. So he goes, oh... no shower? The showers in that gym are open. He was thinking we were going to continue the conversation completely naked in the shower.

Like all of a sudden its cool to be buck naked 3 feet in front of me after years of dating and being married to his daughter. And were not THAT close.

But I could tell he was not uncomfortable at all. I could also tell that he and his gym buddies probably have at least one naked shower conversation a day in the gym. Its not weird to his generation while to someone my age, this could not be more uncomfortable.

I now go out of my way to go to a different gym branch.

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 12:57:29 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Great topic!

Quick story, my father in law goes to the same gym as I do but were never there at the same time. One day we were though and I ran into him in the locker room. While were in the middle of a conversation about the Red Sox or something stupid like that he gets completely naked and continues the conversation. Keeping my eyes up, I indicated that I had to run. So he goes, oh... no shower? The showers in that gym are open. He was thinking we were going to continue the conversation completely naked in the shower.

Like all of a sudden its cool to be buck naked 3 feet in front of me after years of dating and being married to his daughter. And were not THAT close.

But I could tell he was not uncomfortable at all. I could also tell that he and his gym buddies probably have at least one naked shower conversation a day in the gym. Its not weird to his generation while to someone my age, this could not be more uncomfortable.

I now go out of my way to go to a different gym branch.

Bahaha! That must have been super awkward.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 12:59:00 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Great topic. Equally disturbed, considered switching gyms multiple times.

The older generation (60+) does seem more comfortable in this regard. The comic strip definitely captured that. Although, I think there's a new breed of younger men latching onto the bare-bottom fun.

Older men have seemed to feel as though they are just simply comfortable with being scantily clad in the locker room, but the younger guys appear to have a different agenda... there seems to be quite a few young guns that have hit the lottery and appear to enjoy flashing their assets (prob not for trade, tho) with... everyone.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:19:53 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 01:20:06 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I graduated high school in the 1998, and in gym class and during sports everyone showered together and got dressed in front of each other.  Is that still a thing?  You'd think with the proliferation of cell phone cameras and with schools looking to crack down on bullying they'd shy away from it, or they'd at least have some adult supervision.  it was like Lord of the Flies in our locker room.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 01:29:21 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Walking around buck naked at the gym seems to be a generational thing. Older guys seem to have no problem shrugging off the towel and going about their business in their birthday suit, while the younger generations shave in front of the mirror or walk from the shower to the locker area with a towel around their waist.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have a theory? It's kind of ironic that the older more conservative folks are more open than the younger people when it comes to this. It doesn't bother me, I just find it kind of odd. I'm humored by it, actually. Maybe there is a naked old guy here on the forum that could provide me some insight? Were guys made fun of back in the day for toweling up after gym class or in the military? Like, "What are you hiding something" etc. etc. type ball busting?

Let me take my clothes off then I'll get back to you,  lol.

The worst is when they dry themselves right in front of you and decide to have a convo.  And I mean they're drying everything! :P

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 01:37:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

The older generation (60+) does seem more comfortable in this regard. The comic strip definitely captured that. Although, I think there's a new breed of younger men latching onto the bare-bottom fun.

Older men have seemed to feel as though they are just simply comfortable with being scantily clad in the locker room, but the younger guys appear to have a different agenda... there seems to be quite a few young guns that have hit the lottery and appear to enjoy flashing their assets (prob not for trade, tho) with... everyone.

If younger guys are doing it is usually because they are packing heat. That's a sound take! Haha.

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 01:45:10 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Walking around buck naked at the gym seems to be a generational thing. Older guys seem to have no problem shrugging off the towel and going about their business in their birthday suit, while the younger generations shave in front of the mirror or walk from the shower to the locker area with a towel around their waist.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have a theory? It's kind of ironic that the older more conservative folks are more open than the younger people when it comes to this. It doesn't bother me, I just find it kind of odd. I'm humored by it, actually. Maybe there is a naked old guy here on the forum that could provide me some insight? Were guys made fun of back in the day for toweling up after gym class or in the military? Like, "What are you hiding something" etc. etc. type ball busting?

Let me take my clothes off then I'll get back to you,  lol.

The worst is when they dry themselves right in front of you and decide to have a convo.  And I mean they're drying everything! :P

I haven't experienced too many naked conversations with the older folks in the lockerroom. Thankfully. Lol.

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 02:05:29 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

It can be totally different for some. I was told never to expose/ change clothes in front of people or even wear tight clothes even in house when I was young so I have phobia of being seen by strangers now, all because only slight above average.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:06:53 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 02:45:16 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

It can be totally different for some. I was told never to expose/ change clothes in front of people or even where tight clothes even in house when I was young so I have phobia of being seen by strangers now, all because only slight above average.
Thanks for sharing, man. That is really informative, gives a new perspective, and is appreciated. Crazy how environmental factors can make such significant, individual differences. That's all I study every day, and appreciate your perspective. I've found that no matter how hard you try to be open to different perspectives and experiences, there is always a lot to learn.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC