Author Topic: Celtics and Nuggets trade idea: Danilo Gallinari to Celtics  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
To Nuggets:  Sullinger, Turner, Zeller
To Celtics:  Gallinari, future 1st

Lineup
Amir
Lee
Gallinari
AB
Smart

KO
Jerebko
Crowder
Rozier
IT

Holmes
Mickey
PJ3
Young
Hunter

Re: Celtics and Nuggets trade idea: Danilo Gallinari to Celtics
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Lineup
Amir
Lee
Gallinari
AB
Smart

KO
Jerebko
Crowder
Rozier
IT

Holmes
Mickey
PJ3
Young
Hunter

I don't see how the Nuggets would even give that a look.  Unless you switch the future 1st & make it come from Boston, and not Denver.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 03:23:24 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 03:40:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Lineup
Amir
Lee
Gallinari
AB
Smart

KO
Jerebko
Crowder
Rozier
IT

Holmes
Mickey
PJ3
Young
Hunter

I don't see how the Nuggets would even give that a look.  Unless you switch the future 1st & make it come from Boston, and not Denver.

gallo has one year left in his contract and for the past 2 seasons has been injured more than healthy.

The Celtics would do this trade to trim the roster , gain a better player who hopefully will be healthy.  AT least rest him up until the playoffs and have him work his magic.

The nuggets are going nowhere imo. Not playoff bound at all. Having Gallo does little for them, especially at the risk he becomes injured again

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Lineup
Amir
Lee
Gallinari
AB
Smart

KO
Jerebko
Crowder
Rozier
IT

Holmes
Mickey
PJ3
Young
Hunter

you must be kidding.  that's too much to give up for Gallinari.  3 good rotation players for 1 good rotation player that has difficulty staying healthy and a 1st that's likely to be so heavily protected that it'd turn out to be either a low first by the time we got it or convert to a couple of seconds.

if they get him as part of a straight up swap of 1 of our PFs or guards I could understand it.  KO or AB.  if they could make it Turner and a couple of seconds, I'd prefer that.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 03:42:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Bleacher Report did all the work for me:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2522220-5-potential-trade-packages-boston-celtics-can-offer-nuggets-for-danilo-gallinari

I like the Bradley one, straight up.
I dont like that one very much and heres why.

It is nearly impossible to "win" that trade due to the contracts of the 2 players.

Gallo and AB have somewhat similar values. AB is the better defender, hes younger, and despite his injury history he is less of a concern than Gallo, but Gallo is a better scorere, passer, shooter just a better overal offensive player. Plus AB for Gallo cleans up the roster a bit. 

So lets say we make the trade and both players remain healthy. If Gallo gives you AB level production he will probably add a win or two to the record this year and add a bit of enthusiasm. We hit FA and then we probably have to pay the 27 year old probably upward of 12 million and theres no way he signs for 8 or less.

Now its a self defeating thing because the better Gallo plays the more we are going to have to pay him. Avery Bradley is a good value at this point. After this season it is more than likely that Gallo will be a bad value as he is going to hit an FA market where there are few elite players and a ton of teams with huge money. Gallo has consolation prize written all over him.

Basically:
Gallo:
plays terrible/gets hurt--> we lose the trade by virtue of giving up better production
plays well--> we are forced to overpay him or lose him due to the market.

I Think Sully and Turner makes the most sense. It would make some sense for Denver to cut/get rid of Lawson so having Turners ball handling etc would be nice for Mudiay to lean on and Sully gives them a young PF who compliments Faried and nurkic pretty well and if he doesnt turn it around weight wise they cut ties and lose nothing.

Problem is, Im not so sure if Gallo is any better than those 2.

One thing is for sure, I am not giving up long term assets for Gallo.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 03:42:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I liked this one best

Nuggets Get: Jared Sullinger, James Young, Evan Turner and a top-12 protected 2016 first-round pick (via Minnesota)

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 03:47:52 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I really don't get why so many people want to trade these assets for a very injury prone player on the last year of his contract.  I know we need a wing but I don't see the value.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 03:55:12 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I feel like all those deals are a little much for Gallo. He always gets hurt, doesn't play defense and his best position is at the 4 where we are really deep.

The best case scenario is we trade for him, he plays great and then we have to give him 20 MM in free agency.  Not sure if Gallo is worth all those packages plus a contract starting at $20 next year.

I'm a fan of Danillo's but if he is going to be that expensive, I'd rather just go hard at him in free agency next year when we don't have to trade any assets for him.

I realize the roster is going to leave some quality players squeezed out of playing time, but it would be very unlike Ainge, to give up too much value just to even out the roster.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 03:57:30 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
I really don't get why so many people want to trade these assets for a very injury prone player on the last year of his contract.  I know we need a wing but I don't see the value.

TP

no way would i give up anything of value for this guy.

he's always hurt, plays little defense, and isn't nearly as great a shooter as some portray him to be.

his career FG% is .416, and he hasn't shot better than .423 since his rookie year.

he's just not a good player.

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 03:58:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I liked this one best

Nuggets Get: Jared Sullinger, James Young, Evan Turner and a top-12 protected 2016 first-round pick (via Minnesota)

I did too. I am not Sully's biggest fan, and I'm also a Young doubter. The MIN pick defaults to 2nd rounders if the protection triggers (and MIN doesn't look like a playoff team this year).
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 03:59:06 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Last year of his contract is what gets me.  He's another asset to be used.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 04:20:19 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
There are two camps on the Gallo front - those who would trade Sully, Turner, Young, and a first and those who wouldn't even trade Sully.

I tend to lean toward the 2nd camp. I actually like the OP's offer as it gives us some incentive to trade our good young players for an expiring injury prone player. I mean, Gallo is good, but he isn't anything special.

If we were ever going to give up anything close to the first package, I would want some guarantee that we could sign Gallo for a similar contract that he is already on (if he plays well). Since this kind of guarantee doesn't exist, we probably won't be trading for him.

Ainge is looking for deals - look at the PJIII deal where OKC originally wanted a first in return. Ainge will just wait until the time is right - I can't imagine the market for Gallo is all that hot right now.

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 04:23:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I liked this one best

I did too. I am not Sully's biggest fan, and I'm also a Young doubter. The MIN pick defaults to 2nd rounders if the protection triggers (and MIN doesn't look like a playoff team this year).

It looks like a great trade package for an up and coming SF (that would also consolidate our roster). I don't think Gallo is worth it at all though. Maybe try to grab a guy like Barnes, DeRozan.

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 04:28:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I liked this one best

It looks like a great trade package for an up and coming SF (that would also consolidate our roster). I don't think Gallo is worth it at all though. Maybe try to grab a guy like Barnes, DeRozan.

Well, I don't believe either of those guys are truly all that available.

In terms of providing wing shooting, and in terms of future flexibility, I think I might prefer Gallo to DeRozan.

Edit: Didn't realize DeRozan has an option for the final year of his deal in 2016-17. He'll opt out, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:36:31 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague