Author Topic: Idea: Babb and Pressey and the Minny "first rounder" for Steve Adams!!  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
HAHAHAHAHHAA.....no chance.

Re: Babb and Pressey and the Minny "first rounder" for Steve Adams!!
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 10:00:56 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's not as outlandish as you people are making it out to be. I mean, they just PAID US to help them reduce their payroll, and got a 2nd rounder for our troubles on top of it [that Detroit pick could be quite valuable, it has no protection that I've seen, and Detroit is still a meh team].

The problem is that you guys try to look at things purely from a talent/player angle without understanding what motivates other teams, etc.

Oklahoma just paid a MAX contract to their center in Kanter. They have Mitch McGary who seems to be posed to get a bigger role for them, and this is a team that is allergic to paying tax money.

I think a 1st rounder, if OKC is motivated to keep shedding salary, is more than fair. The Minnesota protection for their pick is a bit too risky, so it would need to be something else.

I don't think they'll do it mind you, but the idea is not as outlandish as it's been made out to be here. They'll find other forms to reduce payroll, if they're still motivated to do so, before trying to sell Adams. It'll leave them too thin at the C to make it a good decision.

But a first rounder is not that bad of an offer, even I'd say a good first step if anything.

They paid Boston to take a guy they were trading one way or another, not an actual role player. Lamb getting traded a few weeks ago sealed the deal on Jones. Even if they never matched Kanter's deal, they were going to trade away Jones if not just because they needed to open up roster space for Josh Huestis and Cameron Payne.

It's outlandish because OKC is trying to win a title next year and Kanter is the worst defensive center in the league. They're not going to put the interior defense all on Ibaka's plate when he's coming off two consecutive season-ending injuries. Nick Collison is not a serious option in the year 2015, either. McGary isn't exactly a defensive-oriented player. Adams isn't a luxury at the moment, he's a necessity.

OKC supposedly is giving strong consideration to not even starting Kanter next year, so they're most certainly looking to have Adams play a big role.

They'll trade Novak and eat the remaining tax bill. This is the one season they have to make a strong impression on Durant going into his free agency. Now is not the time to make cost-cutting moves that remove valuable depth (which Lamb, Novak, and Jones weren't).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:08:36 AM by Endless Paradise »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That trade proposal is so lop sided  for us that it could be a catapult!

Re: Babb and Pressey and the Minny "first rounder" for Steve Adams!!
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 11:01:04 AM »

Offline notbillsimmons

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
LOL NO.

A franchise that drafted Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka would not do anything idiotic like that.

I guess you really aren't Bill Simmons.

That's what my name is! :)