Author Topic: Idea: Babb and Pressey and the Minny "first rounder" for Steve Adams!!  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
What do you all think?

Does OKC bite??

Smitty77
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 05:31:02 AM by Roy H. »

Re: Babb and Pressey and the Minny "first rounder" for Steve Adams!!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 11:36:05 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Would you give up Steve Adams for dog poo?

Lol I'd love Adams but it will take a lot more than this!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 11:36:11 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
LOL. No.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 12:08:07 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
What do you all think?

Does OKC bite??

Smitty77

Not a chance in you know what.  Come on now...

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 12:51:38 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It's not as outlandish as you people are making it out to be. I mean, they just PAID US to help them reduce their payroll, and got a 2nd rounder for our troubles on top of it [that Detroit pick could be quite valuable, it has no protection that I've seen, and Detroit is still a meh team].

The problem is that you guys try to look at things purely from a talent/player angle without understanding what motivates other teams, etc.

Oklahoma just paid a MAX contract to their center in Kanter. They have Mitch McGary who seems to be posed to get a bigger role for them, and this is a team that is allergic to paying tax money.

I think a 1st rounder, if OKC is motivated to keep shedding salary, is more than fair. The Minnesota protection for their pick is a bit too risky, so it would need to be something else.

I don't think they'll do it mind you, but the idea is not as outlandish as it's been made out to be here. They'll find other forms to reduce payroll, if they're still motivated to do so, before trying to sell Adams. It'll leave them too thin at the C to make it a good decision.

But a first rounder is not that bad of an offer, even I'd say a good first step if anything.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 01:05:40 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
They might do this for McGary. Not for Adams. And likely not for either. They'll just dump Novak on someone.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 01:11:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It's not as outlandish as you people are making it out to be. I mean, they just PAID US to help them reduce their payroll, and got a 2nd rounder for our troubles on top of it [that Detroit pick could be quite valuable, it has no protection that I've seen, and Detroit is still a meh team].

The problem is that you guys try to look at things purely from a talent/player angle without understanding what motivates other teams, etc.

Oklahoma just paid a MAX contract to their center in Kanter. They have Mitch McGary who seems to be posed to get a bigger role for them, and this is a team that is allergic to paying tax money.

I think a 1st rounder, if OKC is motivated to keep shedding salary, is more than fair. The Minnesota protection for their pick is a bit too risky, so it would need to be something else.

I don't think they'll do it mind you, but the idea is not as outlandish as it's been made out to be here. They'll find other forms to reduce payroll, if they're still motivated to do so, before trying to sell Adams. It'll leave them too thin at the C to make it a good decision.

But a first rounder is not that bad of an offer, even I'd say a good first step if anything.

That's the whole reason it's a resounding 'NO!'.
It's not like he's expiring or looking at a big payday like Kanter.
He's got 2 years on a rookie scale contract and he's shown that he's easily a starting caliber big man with elite defensive potential around the rim.

To get Adams from OKC right now you'd need to give up at least Olynyk+ a Brooklyn or Dallas pick at the very minimum. (Obviously just my opinion).

He's due to get paid when the cap booms to 100 million but the Thunder have 2 years to worry about that. For now, they've got Kanter and Adams locked up in case Durant leaves. They'll basically be able to pay 5 guys a maximum contract and keep whichever one they want the most.
They're obviously hoping Kanter's contract becomes a bargain.

Anyway, just assuring you that the point on salary management isn't lost, but in this case, the talent level and value of Adams on his rookie deal is absolutely a critical point as to why this offer is complete and utter dog poo.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 01:18:06 AM »

Offline notbillsimmons

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
LOL NO.

A franchise that drafted Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka would not do anything idiotic like that.

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 02:11:12 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
LOL NO.

A franchise that drafted Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka would not do anything idiotic like that.

I guess you really aren't Bill Simmons.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 03:13:16 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Babb, Pressey, and first?  No. 

Tyler Zeller and Terry Rozier for Adams + Augustin?  Hmmmm... I'm not sure "which team says no"?  I am very high on Rozier and I imagine Danny A is too, but we need a center.  I think OKC would appreciate Rozier's similar style to Westbrook more than Augustin.  And we don't really have any minutes for Rozier at PG.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 04:17:24 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
It is a very good target, but I am not sure what we can give OKC they will want.

They want to win now and reduce tax. Without Adams, their big men rotation would be:
C Kanter McGary
PF Ibaka Collison

Would they be interested in some of our bigs. I would give up KO or Sully for Adams straight. Both of them are however offense-focused and with Durant and RW, I do not think that is what OKC needs. Probably KO for spacing?

Their SGs are both terrible on D (Morrow and Waiters) or terrible on O (Roberson). They might like Bradley and I think he will be a terrific fit next to RW.

AB's salary will be however difficult to match. We are full, so AB for Adams and fillers will require us to either shed contracts or straight out waive guys. OKC is also is running short of out of rotation contracts.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:32:15 AM by krumeto »
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
They are trying to get Durant to stay. How does this trade help them do that? Any trade that OKC might even consider has to start with Brooklyn 2016 and one of our young guards or perhaps a big like Zeller or Olynyk. I'm not sure that they want to move him at all.

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
The reason for the proposed trade is to help OKC reduce their team salary.  Can OKC not simply cut or waive both Babb and Pressey?  I think they would have until July 15 (today) to waive him, correct?  Not sure about Babb.

I would give them another first rounder (NOT either of the Nets picks and likely NOT the Dallas pick) if needed.

Smitty77

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Like Adams

Tuff enforcer

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The reason for the proposed trade is to help OKC reduce their team salary.  Can OKC not simply cut or waive both Babb and Pressey?  I think they would have until July 15 (today) to waive him, correct?  Not sure about Babb.

I would give them another first rounder (NOT either of the Nets picks and likely NOT the Dallas pick) if needed.

Smitty77

We don't need to trade Babb and Pressey to make it work. We can absorb Adams' contract.