Author Topic: Lucky17's Yahoo! Points Hoops League: 2015 Offseason REBOOT  (Read 101651 times)

Re: Lucky17's Yahoo! Points Hoops League: 2015 Offseason REBOOT
« Reply #285 on: October 06, 2015, 02:19:12 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
So..Euros.

Do they count on my roster? can we hold players' rights?

Yes they count toward the 16 rostered players

Hmm.

Posted this on the yahoo board as well:

The way I understand it, if I want to retain a players' rights that I drafted (in fairness, eja drafted, because I'm a forgetful idiot), and that player waits a few years to come over to the NBA, I have to keep him rostered as one of my active players.

Can we change this to just make it, if they're playing in the NBA, they're playing in the CBPL, if they're not, then they can be retained without costing a roster spot?

I would say this type of rule would need to be proposed pre draft
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #286 on: October 06, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So..Euros.

Hmm.

The way I understand it, if I want to retain a players' rights that I drafted (in fairness, eja drafted, because I'm a forgetful idiot), and that player waits a few years to come over to the NBA, I have to keep him rostered as one of my active players.

Can we change this to just make it, if they're playing in the NBA, they're playing in the CBPL, if they're not, then they can be retained without costing a roster spot?

I understand the reasoning there. If I would've known it were a rule, I would've brought it up.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #287 on: October 06, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
So..Euros.

Hmm.

I understand the reasoning there. If I would've known it were a rule, I would've brought it up.

As I said on Yahoo --- it's been proposed a fair amount, and fails each time.  [I could be confusing the other league, but I don't think so]. 

We've always had the current rule, and I think it's a good rule.  If you are into the player enough (as I was with Mirotic for 2+ years), you keep an open roster spot.  If the player isn't that important, you drop (or don't draft him).

That's just my 2 cents.

« Reply #288 on: October 06, 2015, 03:03:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
So..Euros.

Hmm.

As I said on Yahoo --- it's been proposed a fair amount, and fails each time.  [I could be confusing the other league, but I don't think so]. 

We've always had the current rule, and I think it's a good rule.  If you are into the player enough (as I was with Mirotic for 2+ years), you keep an open roster spot.  If the player isn't that important, you drop (or don't draft him).

That's just my 2 cents.

I guess I don't really see the upside here. Why not allow teams to invest in Euros? Why make them keep a guy rostered?

« Reply #289 on: October 06, 2015, 03:11:13 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Let me add a generic comment/reminder to Yall Hates' comments:

I'll encourage everyone to keep in mind that in addition to the July dust-up/meltdown that cost us a GM, our commish had some offline real-life issues that kept him absent for ~a month then led him to having to ultimately step down.

Our replacement GM, Eja, has had to scramble to organize the draft and get teh Yahoo! league set up, and take a vote on the IL spot that Yahoo! has made available this year.

Additional changes to the constitution may be raised --- but I think given the special circumstances the league has faced this summer we should all try and assist Eja as much as possible with the timelines.

If people can generally live with things the way they are -- even if it makes for some tough roster decisions -- I'd suggest leaving all discussion of changes until after the season starts: when Eja's work as commish largely subsides.

THIS IS IN NO WAY MEANT TO SUGGEST FOLKS SHOULDN'T SHARE OR DEBATE IDEAS
, just saying to keep in mind that Eja has ~ 2-3 weeks to get all 20 teams' rosters in and set so that waviers can happen before the first games.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #290 on: October 06, 2015, 03:18:13 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
So..Euros.

Hmm.

That's just my 2 cents.

I guess I don't really see the upside here. Why not allow teams to invest in Euros? Why make them keep a guy rostered?

IIRC, IP i think the 2 issues at play here are:

1. The rule has been thus historically (guys like Saric, Rubio, Mirotic to stay on roster to remain on your team) --- and teams have drafted, built teams accordingly. So any change would have to be for the next full cycle of adds.

In a dynasty league like this "stashing euros" changes the use and value of draft picks for teams otherwise without room to add a drafted player.

2. More specifically the argument against stashing euros (which I've generally sided with) has been about (a) not increasing the work for the commish (who would have to track these non-roster guys), (b) making for tough rosters decisions on guys like Mirotic, Saric, etc. and (c) not thinning out the waiver pool on the years these guys enter the league --- guys like Datome and Papinikolou are availble as waiver wire adds.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #291 on: October 06, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
So..Euros.

Hmm.

That's just my 2 cents.

IIRC, IP i think the 2 issues at play here are:

1. The rule has been thus historically (guys like Saric, Rubio, Mirotic to stay on roster to remain on your team) --- and teams have drafted, built teams accordingly. So any change would have to be for the next full cycle of adds.

Bleh. Yeah it probably does.

In a dynasty league like this "stashing euros" changes the use and value of draft picks for teams otherwise without room to add a drafted player.

How is that not a positive though? Its fun to speculate about how your Euros will fare when they come over.

2. More specifically the argument against stashing euros (which I've generally sided with) has been about (a) not increasing the work for the commish (who would have to track these non-roster guys)

I can say with a good amount of certainty that logging euro players is NOT a big deal. I'll even do it. One spreadsheet, one audit before cuts, bada-bing. Done.

(b) making for tough rosters decisions on guys like Mirotic, Saric, etc. and (c) not thinning out the waiver pool on the years these guys enter the league --- guys like Datome and Papinikolou are availble as waiver wire adds

Well this I have the biggest problem with.

1) Why should the waiver wire have great options to start the season?
-If its about getting in new talent while old talent leaves, shouldn't the draft pretty much cover that?

2) The only teams that will really benefit are the teams who finished at the top of the league anyways, and in a lot of years as currently constructed, the waiver wire situation will be worth MORE than any 2nd round pick.

I dunno, whatever. I really disagree with this rule, but I only encountered it because I forgot about the draft, so take from that what you will.

I do think it should be changed though. Its a fun new facet to the game, especially for teams that take a longer-view rebuild approach.

« Reply #292 on: October 06, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
a good back and forth --- as one GM, i'm open minded about the idea for the future, but am also sharing my reservations...

How is that not a positive though? Its fun to speculate about how your Euros will fare when they come over.

I was just raising this point vis-a-vis making the change now, a week after the draft, instead of making it now for NEXT year's draft.

I actually agree that this is the thing that is the biggest positive argument for the change IMO.

2. More specifically the argument against stashing euros (which I've generally sided with) has been about (a) not increasing the work for the commish (who would have to track these non-roster guys)

I can say with a good amount of certainty that logging euro players is NOT a big deal. I'll even do it. One spreadsheet, one audit before cuts, bada-bing. Done.

Agreed its a minor point that should have been (c) instead of (a). Duly noted that you're volunteering  :D 
(and that you're signing up for the whining and name-calling that comes from less-ubuntu GMs while keeping up said list)

(b) making for tough rosters decisions on guys like Mirotic, Saric, etc. and (c) not thinning out the waiver pool on the years these guys enter the league --- guys like Datome and Papinikolou are availble as waiver wire adds

Well this I have the biggest problem with.

1) Why should the waiver wire have great options to start the season?
-If its about getting in new talent while old talent leaves, shouldn't the draft pretty much cover that?

2) The only teams that will really benefit are the teams who finished at the top of the league anyways, and in a lot of years as currently constructed, the waiver wire situation will be worth MORE than any 2nd round pick.

I dunno, whatever. I really disagree with this rule, but I only encountered it because I forgot about the draft, so take from that what you will.

I do think it should be changed though. Its a fun new facet to the game, especially for teams that take a longer-view rebuild approach.

I think the resistance to "shallowing" the waiver wire pool has been that in a league already this deep its nice to have those 2-3 extra guys each year.

It's true that to some degree the initial waiver adds benefit the better teams to a degree --- but they'll have to drop a player to get a player so arguably they're adding to the FA pool as the better/deeper teams. This acts as a counterbalance too to those #30-40 picks being less valuable.

The unintended consequence of the rule change you're suggesting is the main reason I've been opposed to it: It allows the top teams to stockpile lottery tickets each year via those #30-40 picks in the form of "future Spurs" (like Splitter or Multinov, etc), while other teams have to burn roster spots on in-the-NBA-prospects like James Young (sorry Mk), et al.

« Reply #293 on: October 06, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
UF send: Mike Muscala, Walter "Edy" Tavares, and Thanasis Antetokounmpo

TB sends: Jeremy Lamb and CJ Watson

Come on guys! In the heat of all of these rule debates, my blockbuster trade with Mk got overlooked!

« Reply #294 on: October 07, 2015, 07:07:11 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I've been approached by a couple of people about Rashad Vaughn. He was the second youngest player in the draft. He put up 20, 3, 2 last night while starting for the Bucks. I am entertaining offers, but think I will likely keep him unless I get a future 1st for him.

« Reply #295 on: October 07, 2015, 02:25:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Last chance before Toine's Boys close up the offseason office and make cuts. If you want any or all of the following players, offer any draft pick at all and they are yours:

Arturas Gudaitis

Kostas Papanikolaou

Alexis Ajinca

Michael Beasley

« Reply #296 on: October 07, 2015, 09:23:14 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537

Come on guys! In the heat of all of these rule debates, my blockbuster trade with Mk got overlooked!

Edy's looking good tonight in limited minutes.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #297 on: October 07, 2015, 09:39:02 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412

D-Leaguers for D-Leaguers basically
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #298 on: October 07, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537

D-Leaguers for D-Leaguers basically

D-Leagur stats count right?

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #299 on: October 07, 2015, 09:45:42 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Edy's looking good tonight in limited minutes.

Mk

Yep! Edy looks great tonight, although in short minutes, but 10 points on 5-5 shooting with 2 steals in about 10 minutes is very promising.