Author Topic: Knicks and Celtics trade idea: Carmelo to Celtics  (Read 8445 times)

Re: Knicks and Celtics trade idea: Carmelo to Celtics
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 01:48:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
wouldn't want melo at all!  slows the offense by holding the ball, takes a lot of shots, cant play D, and most importantly....isn't a winner.
The guy that made the playoffs the first 10 years of his career After leading his college team to the national championship in his only season isn't a winneR.  Interesting position to take.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 01:52:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I wouldn't mind Melo, but the trade proposed in this thread is no where near enough for NY to trade him.  Smart and multiple 1st round picks would have to be included.

Something like this makes a bit of sense.

Smart, Bradley, Sullinger, Jerekbo, DAL 1st, 2016 BOS 1st, 2018 BOS 1st (lottery protected)

for

Anthony

Would leave Boston's lineup as

PG - Thomas
SG - Turner
SF - Anthony
PF - Johnson
C - Lee

with Zeller, Olynyk, Crowder, Young, and Rozier as main rotation and Hunter, Pressey, Mickey, Datome, and Thornton rounding out roster.

Probably not a title team, but certainly a lot closer and likely just one move away from being a real contender.

Smart worth more than melo to the celts at this moment
I agree. That's too much of an overpay for a star probably on his decline.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 01:57:29 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Lakers will get to it before us with their ridiculous offer  :(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 02:04:50 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
wouldn't want melo at all!  slows the offense by holding the ball, takes a lot of shots, cant play D, and most importantly....isn't a winner.
The guy that made the playoffs the first 10 years of his career After leading his college team to the national championship in his only season isn't a winneR.  Interesting position to take.

he has only made it out of the first round twice in his entire career.....loser.  ncaa is irreverent.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Selfish, the kind of CBS is not looking for, too.

Lakers will get to it before us with their ridiculous offe
   Kobe and He would kill each other.

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

he has only made it out of the first round twice in his entire career.....loser.  ncaa is irreverent.
has anyone on the Celtics made it out of the first round?  I mean aside from Amir Johnson when he barely played for Detroit.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 07:25:09 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Call Boeheim first...

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 07:34:47 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
I think the only way we get Melo is by giving up multiple first round picks plus a young big or guard. I think NY would rather try and rebuild than contend with ET and a bunch of our young guys.

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 07:37:28 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Yes Melo to the Celtics!! There is a god! This is a sick trade for the Celtics, the Melo Man is going to do damage in Beantown!

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'd LOVE to have Melo and get so freakin annoyed when people post these absolutely ludicrous responses about how "he wouldn't fit in Boston" (whatever the hell that means) and "he isn't a Brad Stevens guy"(such a stupid, stupid statement.)

He's one of the best players in the league.

However, I think this is all moot because I haven't heard anything about the Knicks looking to deal Melo. 

That's surprising however. Why would any team want a guy who isn't a "Brad Stevens guy" ???

Like when I am at work, I always ask myself "what would Brad Stevens do?"

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 10:05:56 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
People in general have a strong hate for Carmelo due to his ball stopping ways but with all the cap space we will have next year, trading for a guy that stars want to play with is a great idea.

With where the Knicks are in their rebuild, and the fact that they don't have any picks next year I could see them trading Melo.

He is a ball stopper...but I think his pros outweigh his cons.

His career assist percentage (15.9%) and average (3 APG) would indicate otherwise.  Solid numbers for a scoring oriented SF. 

Carmelo is much like Kobe - both have very good court vision and are skilled passers, but they are forced to hog the ball because nobody else on their teams are capable of creating consistently or even really hitting open shots consistently.  That team is garbage and has been for some time now.   

What's Melo supposed to do - hit Calderon and Bargnani on those explosive back-door cuts? lol

Funnily enough, I think Melo would be a perfect player for Boston.  Boston is full of unselfish role-player types - glue guys who may not be the most talented, but who games a possession at at time by outworking their opponents and doing all the little things. Guys who don't need the ball in their hands all the time in order to be most effective.

Melo NEEDS guys like that around him to do all the dirty work so he can just focus on carrying the offensive load, just as much as we NEED that go-to scorer who can carry our offense on a nightly basis. 

AND he's a small forward, which we need.

I also don't get why people say he's not a Brad Steven's guys. 

I mean sure, Melo isn't your typical hustle / team first / dive-on-the-floor -after-every-loose-ball type of guy.  But neither is Sully, neither is Turner, neither is Thomas.  Much as Steven's loves those kind of guys, it's not the only type of guy he tends to fall in love with.

Stevens also seems to love guys who play the game on a cerebral level, and guys who offer a great deal of versatility - Melo offers both.

But Carmelo is a VERY intelligent basketball player.  That's why he's managed to remain one of the most elite offensive players of the past 20 years despite not having elite physical tools.  He dominates opponents by out-thinking them, with excellent footwork, and by taking advatage of matchups.

He's extremely good at reading what the defense is going to do, and reacting - and he's so versatile offensively the he can counter almost anything the defense throws at him.  If you sag off to defend against the drive then he's got an outstanding jumper and will kill you all night.  If you play him tight he'll use his ball handling and footwork to get past you and drive hard to the basket.  If you put a smaller guy on him to stop the drive he'll post up or shot over.  If you put a bigger guy on him he'll drive past. If you double him, he's got the court vision and passing ability to make the pass.  If you foul him, he'll make the free throws. 

There's really NOTHING you can do to stop Melo - all you can do is throw your best defender at him and hope they can slow him down.  If you ignore him and defend everybody else, then he's one of the few guys in the league who COULD score 70 and beat you single-handedly.   

Trust me, if Ainge/Stevens felt had a chance to get Carmelo, they'd already have him.  He's a one-a-generation talent.

You know how we all love Smart, and Danny / Brad probably love him even more than any of us do.  But if Smart was the extra piece needed to bring Melo to Boston, he'd be packing his bags. 

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2015, 10:43:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yes Melo to the Celtics!! There is a god! This is a sick trade for the Celtics, the Melo Man is going to do damage in Beantown!

To what our team culture?  No way NYC does it.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2015, 11:30:45 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
It's really too bad about NY not having their own pick next summer. Hard to trade Melo unless things really go wrong in NY and Melo forces out, but I can't see a guy like him doing that.

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2015, 11:36:01 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

You know that this is just an "idea", right?? 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2015, 02:36:02 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Selfish, the kind of CBS is not looking for, too.

Lakers will get to it before us with their ridiculous offe
   Kobe and He would kill each other.

See? There is an upside to Melo going to the Lakers.

Mike