Author Topic: Knicks and Celtics trade idea: Carmelo to Celtics  (Read 8446 times)

Knicks and Celtics trade idea: Carmelo to Celtics
« on: July 13, 2015, 11:31:57 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Im not much of a fan of Carmelo, but he could be a difference maker to help propel the Celts become, one of the top three teams out of the east.

To Knicks:  Sully, ET, Zeller, Ab, Young,  1st round pick (2016 Mavs or Celts)
To Celtics: Melo

Lineup

Amir/KO
Lee/Jerebko/Mickey
Melo/Crowder/Holmes
Smart/Hunter
Rozier/IT

Why Celts want to make the trade:  slim the roster a little and gain a top sf in the NBA.  Pressure off Melo to have to do alot. He can concentrate fitting into the system and doing what he does best, scoring especially when the team is having an off night or in clutch situations

Why the Knicks make the trade: The way the lineup is now, it will be another playofff less year.  No assets (outside of Porzingis) to improve the team. Melo is going to be overworked and will be unhappy. Knicks are wasting money on his contract.  The team adds many pieces from the Celts, Fisher can shape the team to his liking a little better, better chance to make the playoffs and can hope Porzingis becomes the teams go to guy in a year or two.

Re: Knicks and Celtics trade idea: Carmelo to Celtics
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 11:39:39 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
People in general have a strong hate for Carmelo due to his ball stopping ways but with all the cap space we will have next year, trading for a guy that stars want to play with is a great idea.

With where the Knicks are in their rebuild, and the fact that they don't have any picks next year I could see them trading Melo.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:45:23 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
People in general have a strong hate for Carmelo due to his ball stopping ways but with all the cap space we will have next year, trading for a guy that stars want to play with is a great idea.

With where the Knicks are in their rebuild, and the fact that they don't have any picks next year I could see them trading Melo.

He is a ball stopper...but I think his pros outweigh his cons.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:51:12 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Im not much of a fan of Carmelo, but he could be a difference maker to help propel the Celts become, one of the top three teams out of the east.

Lineup

Amir/KO
Lee/Jerebko/Mickey
Melo/Crowder/Holmes
Smart/Hunter
Rozier/IT

Why Celts want to make the trade:  slim the roster a little and gain a top sf in the NBA.  Pressure off Melo to have to do alot. He can concentrate fitting into the system and doing what he does best, scoring especially when the team is having an off night or in clutch situations

Why the Knicks make the trade: The way the lineup is now, it will be another playofff less year.  No assets (outside of Porzingis) to improve the team. Melo is going to be overworked and will be unhappy. Knicks are wasting money on his contract.  The team adds many pieces from the Celts, Fisher can shape the team to his liking a little better, better chance to make the playoffs and can hope Porzingis becomes the teams go to guy in a year or two.

so knicks are giving up melo for

sully= fat, injury prone player in a contract year who will need to be re-signed

et = journeyman

zeller = backup center

Bradley = 3+d role player

young= unproven , low ceiling prospect

and a mid 1st rd pick

I am sure Phil will be drooling to do this deal with a division rival  ::)

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:59:19 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I think any trade for Melo for us will more than likely have to come during the middle of the season for several reasons:
1) the Knicks would need to be out of the playoff race making Anthony unsatisfied,
2) the C's would need to be firmly in the playoff race playing good,
3) At least one of the Dallas and/or Brooklyn picks would have to have high potential with the team's underperforming,
4) and one or more of our prospects would need to make a significant jump.

If those things happened, then sure I could see a trade as a possibility. But Melo has a no-trade clause, so in addition to having to put together an attractive enough package for Phil, we also have to sway him on playing here. I just don't think all of those things will come together in the perfect storm for us to trade for him this year.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 12:00:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Don't see it Knicks have invested in new pieces for playoffs in Affalo and Lopez. They could want Lee back though yet have no salary match.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 12:06:39 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
jpotter and csfan hit the point, knicks have very low interest in trading carmelo right now.  The knicks realize the same thing that evantime said about how carmelo's contract will look next offseason and his ability to attract FA.

Also, he would not "concentrate on fitting into the system" on offense.  Carmelo wants to iso.  He would likely not be willing to operate in Brad's system and Brad would probably have to come up with offensive sets that revolve around iso-ball
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 12:21:11 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Lineup

Amir/KO
Lee/Jerebko/Mickey
Melo/Crowder/Holmes
Smart/Hunter
Rozier/IT

so knicks are giving up melo for

sully= fat, injury prone player in a contract year who will need to be re-signed

et = journeyman

zeller = backup center

Bradley = 3+d role player

young= unproven , low ceiling prospect

and a mid 1st rd pick

I am sure Phil will be drooling to do this deal with a division rival  ::)

This.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128

I thought the story of the last few offseasons has been that no one has wanted to play with him.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 12:35:57 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I thought the story of the last few offseasons has been that no one has wanted to play with him.
Last year when he was a free agent everyone with cap space was interested. I think he still has cache (provided he is healthy next year)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 12:54:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I want to build around a younger, healthier, star. 

Patience, people.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I wouldn't advocate a trade for Melo, but I wouldn't hate it either.  He could make us a contender to win the East. 

NY has such a f upped roster that I could see them as a potential trading partner.  Thet could trade Melo to rebuild or Porzingis to try to contend.  I might be interested in either of those guys.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 01:24:59 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I wouldn't mind Melo, but the trade proposed in this thread is no where near enough for NY to trade him.  Smart and multiple 1st round picks would have to be included.

Something like this makes a bit of sense.

Smart, Bradley, Sullinger, Jerekbo, DAL 1st, 2016 BOS 1st, 2018 BOS 1st (lottery protected)

for

Anthony

Would leave Boston's lineup as

PG - Thomas
SG - Turner
SF - Anthony
PF - Johnson
C - Lee

with Zeller, Olynyk, Crowder, Young, and Rozier as main rotation and Hunter, Pressey, Mickey, Datome, and Thornton rounding out roster.

Probably not a title team, but certainly a lot closer and likely just one move away from being a real contender. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 01:38:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wouldn't mind Melo, but the trade proposed in this thread is no where near enough for NY to trade him.  Smart and multiple 1st round picks would have to be included.

Something like this makes a bit of sense.

Smart, Bradley, Sullinger, Jerekbo, DAL 1st, 2016 BOS 1st, 2018 BOS 1st (lottery protected)

for

Anthony

Would leave Boston's lineup as

PG - Thomas
SG - Turner
SF - Anthony
PF - Johnson
C - Lee

with Zeller, Olynyk, Crowder, Young, and Rozier as main rotation and Hunter, Pressey, Mickey, Datome, and Thornton rounding out roster.

Probably not a title team, but certainly a lot closer and likely just one move away from being a real contender.

Smart worth more than melo to the celts at this moment

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 01:41:19 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
wouldn't want melo at all!  slows the offense by holding the ball, takes a lot of shots, cant play D, and most importantly....isn't a winner.