Author Topic: How can we make room for Holmes, looks like a keeper.  (Read 16548 times)

Re: How can we make room for Holmes, looks like a keeper.
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2015, 02:10:01 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Will he count as a roster spot if we sign him even though he'll spend time in the D-League?

If not, I would be willing to let Pressey go for Holmes. He fits the mold of a stretch 4 who could play 3 if needed, so he fills a need. All out effort and a non stop motor. I'd love to have him.

He counts as a roster spot if you sign him to a NBA contract and assign him to the D-League.  It's beyond frustrating that people continually ask about such a simple concept.

If you let Pressey go, you still have 12 players under guaranteed contract, 2 first round picks who will have guaranteed contract, and one roster spot to be fought over by Mickey and Holmes and whoever else.  In the absence of a trade, Holmes' best shot of making the roster is to play well enough that the Celtics would rather waive Jordan Mickey.

I think some people in this thread do not understand that Holmes is not a pure SF, he's more of an undersized PF who may be capable of playing some minutes at SF, but he may be a bit of a project as a SF.  He's not a potential replacement for Evan Turner.  He's more of a guy who may let you trade Jae Crowder for something useful at a different position in a couple of years.

I think a pretty strong argument can be made that Holmes is a better prospect than Young (for us versus China/Turkey/Spain).

You can't ignore that Young is on a guaranteed contract, even with the cap going up.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2015, 02:47:39 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just wondering. Can Holmes be snatched up by any random team  now? Or does SL have to end first. So Celts hold an edge to sign him 1st?

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2015, 02:48:53 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Will he count as a roster spot if we sign him even though he'll spend time in the D-League?

If not, I would be willing to let Pressey go for Holmes. He fits the mold of a stretch 4 who could play 3 if needed, so he fills a need. All out effort and a non stop motor. I'd love to have him.

He counts as a roster spot if you sign him to a NBA contract and assign him to the D-League.  It's beyond frustrating that people continually ask about such a simple concept.

If you let Pressey go, you still have 12 players under guaranteed contract, 2 first round picks who will have guaranteed contract, and one roster spot to be fought over by Mickey and Holmes and whoever else.  In the absence of a trade, Holmes' best shot of making the roster is to play well enough that the Celtics would rather waive Jordan Mickey.

I think some people in this thread do not understand that Holmes is not a pure SF, he's more of an undersized PF who may be capable of playing some minutes at SF, but he may be a bit of a project as a SF.  He's not a potential replacement for Evan Turner.  He's more of a guy who may let you trade Jae Crowder for something useful at a different position in a couple of years.

I think a pretty strong argument can be made that Holmes is a better prospect than Young (for us versus China/Turkey/Spain).

You can't ignore that Young is on a guaranteed contract, even with the cap going up.

Of course, but if he's waived we pay the cost while opening up a roster spot, correct? I may be wrong, by no means an expert here...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2015, 06:56:14 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Just wondering. Can Holmes be snatched up by any random team  now? Or does SL have to end first. So Celts hold an edge to sign him 1st?

I believe he could be snatched up at any time. I hope we sign him to a partially guaranteed camp contract.

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2015, 09:51:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I believe he could be snatched up at any time. I hope we sign him to a partially guaranteed camp contract.

After Mickey , then onto Holmes. But Holmes and agent will want to sign with a team that can ensure him of a spot in the roster 1st

Sully, zeller, turner sb traded asap

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2015, 09:53:40 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Holmes looks like a steal..lot of ppl thought he be a 1st round pick..i would try anything to hold onto him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

After Mickey , then onto Holmes. But Holmes and agent will want to sign with a team that can ensure him of a spot in the roster 1st

Sully, zeller, turner sb traded asap
neither Mickey nor Holmes are good enough to justify a trade of either Sully or Zeller to make room for either of them.
I'm sure Danny will get Mickey on the 15-man roster while Holmes lands on his feet somewhere as the 15th man on someone's roster.  Philly's a dumpster fire -- Holmes could probably be their first big off the bench behind Noel and Okafor.

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2015, 09:57:50 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I guess we are just too deep.

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2015, 10:05:39 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
  Philly's a dumpster fire -- Holmes could probably be their first big off the bench behind Noel and Okafor.

But do they want to win yet? I am not sure but I think they want to tank another whole season don't they?

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Mickey as our last man rotation is a pleasant problem to have.
Too bad for Holmes, would love to give him a shot.

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Of course, but if he's waived we pay the cost while opening up a roster spot, correct? I may be wrong, by no means an expert here...

Unless I've missed it, the team has not picked up Young's option for next year yet (they have until October to do so).  If Holmes outplays Young (and PJ3 in camp), and looks like the better long-term option, I see no reason to not cut bait on both of them and go with Holmes.  If Young is released, he won't be a cap hit next year, and Jones is already an expiring.

Of course, I would be disappointed in Young if he were to be outplayed by Holmes, but the Celtics have a gazillion picks next year anyway -- if Young can't beat out an undrafted rookie for a roster spot this year, he was going to have a tough time when there are a lot more rookies looking for roster spots and playing time.  The pick in Young is a sunk cost -- if it doesn't pan out, that's life, and the C's shouldn't make further bad decisions hoping it works out if they know it won't.

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2015, 10:41:02 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Unless I've missed it, the team has not picked up Young's option for next year yet (they have until October to do so).  If Holmes outplays Young (and PJ3 in camp), and looks like the better long-term option, I see no reason to not cut bait on both of them and go with Holmes.  If Young is released, he won't be a cap hit next year, and Jones is already an expiring.

Of course, I would be disappointed in Young if he were to be outplayed by Holmes, but the Celtics have a gazillion picks next year anyway -- if Young can't beat out an undrafted rookie for a roster spot this year, he was going to have a tough time when there are a lot more rookies looking for roster spots and playing time.  The pick in Young is a sunk cost -- if it doesn't pan out, that's life, and the C's shouldn't make further bad decisions hoping it works out if they know it won't.
Isn't Young's option next year?

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Evan Turner is perhaps the only Celtic that can generate his own offense, besides IT.
  Too bad, you forgot about David Lee?

5. Sully:productive offense, good BB IQ>
  If his basketball IQ is so high, why does he keep shooting threes, a shot that he is bad at?   Also, may get a some of the IQ working at Physics and realize that all that additional mass, is cutting down on his force.

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2015, 10:55:59 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Evan Turner is perhaps the only Celtic that can generate his own offense, besides IT.
  Too bad, you forgot about David Lee?

5. Sully:productive offense, good BB IQ>
  If his basketball IQ is so high, why does he keep shooting threes, a shot that he is bad at?   Also, may get a some of the IQ working at Physics and realize that all that additional mass, is cutting down on his force.

Maybe, I don't know, but because Stevens wants him to? Not only that, but encouraging it?

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2015, 10:57:45 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Isn't Young's option next year?

1st round picks are guaranteed two years.  There are team options for years 3 and 4.  Unlike options for contracts signed in free agency, which which must be exercised by the end of the last guaranteed year on the contract, options on rookie deals must be exercised before the beginning of the prior season.  So Young's year 3 option has to be decided on by the end of this October -- they can't wait to see how he turns out this season before deciding if they want him to be paid next year.  Accordingly, if the Celtics decide they do not want to keep Young around next year, there's limited reason to keep him this year if they have someone else to fill that roster spot.

So yes, Young is guaranteed this year, but that's a sunk cost, and they should let his play determine whether he's worth keeping around for next year too, or just begin to move on now.