Author Topic: How can we make room for Holmes, looks like a keeper.  (Read 16583 times)

Re: How can we make room for Holmes, looks like a keeper.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 04:53:06 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Best-case scenario is probably to invite him to training camp with the goal of having him be one of the last cuts who gets funneled to Maine (but any team would be free to sign him) with a chance that he wins a roster spot.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 05:17:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I agree, he looks great and he can even put the ball on the floor and drive to the rim against the bigs that guard him on the 3 point line.

Draymond Green 2.0 puuuhhllleeeasseee!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 06:40:22 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Amir, Lee, Zeller,
Kelly, Sully, Mickey, Jonas
Crowder, Turner, Holmes
Bradley, Hunter, Young,
Smart, Thomas, Rozier

I would make calls about Turner, Young, and Jonas in that order, at this point I would take Two second rounders in the late 30's for Young. Not sure we could get that though.

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 07:11:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Git rid of ET

ASAP

Trade AB  ;D

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 07:16:25 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I could see us dumping Sully or Kelly for a couple of 2nds if a 2 for 1 doesn't come along and we want to keep Holmes. PF is the position we have the most depth at.

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 08:27:18 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Find a new home for ET.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 08:38:25 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Can we clear a spot for him by sending Young down to the D-League for another year?

Young has shown progress, but still looks like he hasn't played a lot of basketball, Holmes on the other hand has stepped in and immediately contributed and proven he can hit the NBA three in bunches.

Hate to see Holmes get away without really figuring out what he's got.

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 08:55:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Amir, Lee, Zeller,
Kelly, Sully, Mickey, Jonas
Crowder, Turner, Holmes
Bradley, Hunter, Young,
Smart, Thomas, Rozier

I would make calls about Turner, Young, and Jonas in that order, at this point I would take Two second rounders in the late 30's for Young. Not sure we could get that though.

Jonas can't be traded until January.  That won't work for keeping Holmes.  Also, Stevens doesn't think of 5 positions, he thinks of four:

Bigs: Lee, Johnson, Zeller, Sullinger, Olynyk, Mickey
Swings: Crowder, Jerebko, (Holmes)
Wings: Bradley, Hunter, Young
Ball handlers: Thomas, Smart, Rozier, Turner

With four positions, each lineup will have at least two of one of those groups.  He would like to play lineups with two swings, but really can't with the current roster.  Look for any of Sully, Olynyk, Mickey, and Zeller to be traded for a swing, ideally a 2-for-1, and Holmes also signed.  A ball handler also could go, but bigs are where the major logjam is.  Trading a wing like Young is a little trickier, although a) he'll have trouble cracking to rotation, and b) Turner and Smart can both play that role, so it's not as big a worry if that gets the deal done.  But trading Jonas is the exact opposite of what makes sense for the roster, and again, is not permitted until January.

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 08:58:11 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Can we clear a spot for him by sending Young down to the D-League for another year?

Young has shown progress, but still looks like he hasn't played a lot of basketball, Holmes on the other hand has stepped in and immediately contributed and proven he can hit the NBA three in bunches.

No, Young has a guaranteed contract and so counts on the roster even if he's sent to Maine.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 09:00:23 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

No.  At the start of the season we can only have 15 players on our roster.  Young counted all last year in the D-league, and would do so again if sent there.  If no trades are made and Holmes is signed, someone would have to just be cut by the start of the season.

And if Holmes is signed now and beats Young out for that roster spot in October, they should just release Young.  It would be disappointing, but it's better to keep the top 15 players than mourn the loss of a draft pick that didn't pan out.  With as many picks as we have coming up, it will happen again.

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 09:00:37 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
didnt people said the same about mike moser last summer league?

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2015, 09:25:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
didnt people said the same about mike moser last summer league?

Jonathan Holmes is of a different pedigree than Mike Moser.  No one was surprised when Moser went undrafted -- people were very surprised when Holmes did.  Furthermore, Moser was a year older last year than Holmes is this year, so the relative performance is better for Holmes.  If not with the Celtics, I'd expect Holmes to earn a roster spot with some NBA team next season.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2015, 09:30:51 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
My 2 cents..

Sullinger will be moved for 50 cent on the dollar... He doesnt fit into Stevens scheme plus will be playing for a new contract so his already bad shot selection (3 point att) could be bloated even more.. look at the celtics record before and after Sullinger was in the lineup

Young will go back to D league... no reason to trade him.. one he is not worth much right now and second hes still young and a low salary

I think Zeller, Turner and Olynk are long shots on being moved but there should be moves on the horizon..

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2015, 09:50:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Git rid of ET

ASAP

I'd love to see Ainge deal ET and Sully even if it cost a pick.  Get rid of our worst defender and ET, that would make room for Holmes.

Sullinger will be moved for 50 cent on the dollar... He doesnt fit into Stevens scheme plus will be playing for a new contract so his already bad shot selection (3 point att) could be bloated even more.. look at the celtics record before and after Sullinger was in the lineup

I hope this happens.

Young will go back to D league... no reason to trade him.. one he is not worth much right now and second hes still young and a low salary
  more than likely

Agree.  I assume Pressey and Babb will be gone.

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2015, 10:09:24 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
We need to do a 2 or 3 for one trade. He looks like a keeper but I don't think it is a good idea to carry 4 rookies and I prefer all the drafted players to him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19