Author Topic: How can we make room for Holmes, looks like a keeper.  (Read 16580 times)

How can we make room for Holmes, looks like a keeper.
« on: July 13, 2015, 01:05:46 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
He's the valued "swing" forward that Stevens covets,   he's he can shoot with range, actually amazing he wasn't even drafted. Pressey is already gone, cut Thornton too. I would rather see Holmes get a chance over Young.
  Holmes is just the type of player we need to balance this roster. Young still isn't ready. One more year in the D league for James. Holmes can play small but quality minutes right now.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:13:28 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: How can we make room for Holmes looks like a keeper.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 01:13:42 AM »

Offline BraxVitto

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I'm all for trading Turner for a second rounder. We don't need him and Holmes fits our system better.

Re: How can we make room for Holmes, looks like a keeper.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 01:15:39 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I was on the train when we grabbed him for SL b4 g1.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 01:18:36 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
His per 40 numbers his junior year were 21 ppg 12 RPG 2 bpg and he shot .505% from the field. And we know the Texas head coach is not a basketball genius, kids has real potential.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 01:18:59 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I was on the train when we grabbed him for SL b4 g1.

Same here.  Have been hoping we'd find a roster spot somehow.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a contract anyway with Ainge letting training camp sort out that roster spot.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 01:19:50 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
So let's hear some ideas to keep him around. Who goes.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:20:36 AM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Release Pressey before his contract becomes guaranteed

A rotational big that can shoot the 3 is a better asset than a undersized 3rd string point guard who can only pass  ;)

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 01:23:22 AM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Trade Turner or AB.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 01:26:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
So let's hear some ideas to keep him around. Who goes.

Hopefully a 2-for-1 trade.  Turner and a one of Sully, Young, or Oly for Galllinari is my ideal.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 01:28:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

A rotational big that can shoot the 3 is a better asset than a undersized 3rd string point guard who can only pass  ;)

He will be, don't worry.  But we're still full even without Pressey, unless we choose to not sign Mickey (which would be a little dumb.)

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 01:33:47 AM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19

He will be, don't worry.  But we're still full even without Pressey, unless we choose to not sign Mickey (which would be a little dumb.)

Release Babb too... he'll just come crawling back to the red claws anyways  :P haha

Thorton goes overseas and yeah Turner for a new washing machine

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 01:42:50 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Babb or Pressey are part of Lee deal, the other gets released, Thornton gets stashed,

ET odd man out IMO.

(15) Bradley, Crowder, Hunter, Jerebko, Johnson, Mickey, KO, Rozier, Smart, Sully, IT, Young, Zeller, Lee, Holmes

6 new players. 1 stashed.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 01:49:57 AM »

Offline I told you so

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
DraftExpress had Holmes ranked at #24, and their scouting video lists offensive and defensive versatility as his strengths along with high motor.  Makes you wonder why he didn't get drafted, even more so when you see his summer league play.  He could play SF in a big lineup or PF in a small lineup, and he definitely can shoot the 3.  He is a good fit into Brad Stevens' system.  I agree the Celts  need to find a place for this guy.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 03:28:48 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
An option outside of the trades is a domestic draft and stash.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/5/7/8565811/report-sixers-to-workout-jamal-jones-consider-domestic-draft-and-stash

"As Charania notes, the Thunder first brought this loophole to light last season after arranging an agreement with Huestis prior to the Draft. As a fringe first-rounder, he would get a promise of eventual guaranteed money through the NBA's rookie scale (which would guarantee him roughly $1.5 million over two years, followed by two team options). But, it was under the condition that he delay signing that contract and join the D-League for a year first."

I am not sure we can do a stash of a free agent. I think we can not.

The option would be then (and I know with his current play I will be crucified for even suggesting it) to stash Mickey. He is by my count 7th in the big men rotation. He will not see many minutes this year anyway.

That will open up a roster spot for Holmes to be signed.

Of course, the better alternative is a cheap non-guaranteed contract as soon as possible, that gives us some control until after the training camp when the roster needs to be trimmed to 15. In the meantime, Ainge can work a trade.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 04:29:57 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Somewhat of an interview/story by Forsberg from today:
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4719872/holmes-game-emerging-in-vegas-for-celtics

I really like how this kid plays ball. All our other wings are smallish - Crowder is 6'6 on a good day, Young is 6'7 but light, Turner is 6'6. Holmes is solid 6'9 with 7' wingspan.

He is not getting playing time this year, but I want him under contact and control.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."