27 (34.6%)
Mitch McGary
3 (3.8%)
PJ Hariston
0 (0%)
James Young I'm sticking with him.
38 (48.7%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Poll: Who do you wish we took at 17 last year  (Read 9775 times)

Re: Poll: Who do you wish we took at 17 last year
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 09:01:16 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I'm sticking with JY. Its just like Celtics fans to draft a guy that is a project and then dump him less then a year later. JY has a jumper that seasoned NBA players would kill for. He needs time, but Celtics fans can't wait even more than one season.

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 09:11:34 AM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
We are talking about a kid that is barely 20 and is a great shooter with a tremendous upside.  Even if used as a chip in a trade, I'd rather have him over those other guys....

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 12:38:41 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Very slim pickings on that list so might as well stick with Young I guess. Capella looks like a decent player but he'd just be yet another average-to-slightly-above-average PF on our roster.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 05:55:22 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
Hood dropped 40 on my high school his senior year to put us out off the playoffs, I've been on his bandwagon ever since.

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Heard hood had severe vomiting issues at alot of his workouts which was one of the reasons he fell. Not sure if that was one of our issues.

I'd have taken Capela but I'm probably higher on Mickey than him so alls well that ends well.

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 06:26:16 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Slo-Mo for me.

Liked him them, like him now. Spurs is a good fit for him. Much headier player than clue-less Young.

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hood or Capela.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 06:49:11 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I liked the James Young pick at the time and still do
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 06:56:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Heard hood had severe vomiting issues at alot of his workouts which was one of the reasons he fell. Not sure if that was one of our issues.

I'd have taken Capela but I'm probably higher on Mickey than him so alls well that ends well.

Really?  Wow, if that's true, these teams are really dumb, imo, because that's no reason to pass on him.  So the kid was nervous - a lot of players are, even the greatest ones of all time, before big games (like Russell, who always threw up before every game, lol ;D) and the like.  I remember watching a clip about Dennis Rodman where it said that the trainers for the Pistons had to redo the reading of his pulse because his heart was beating so fast.  Again, it happens.  No big deal.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:59:02 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 07:24:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I remember earlier in the year when we were projected in the 9-11 range, early draft boards had us taking Hood at that range. He later dropped a few spots and I was hoping for him at 17 and was bummed we didn't take him or Kyle Anderson.

I was satisfied enough with the Young choice, but would definitely take Hood over him now.

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2015, 07:42:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I pushed for Hood the whole pre draft

But was not disappointed with the selection of JY .....I was good with it.

It is what it is now .......to late to cry

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 08:09:21 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
We are talking about a kid that is barely 20 and is a great shooter with a tremendous upside.  Even if used as a chip in a trade, I'd rather have him over those other guys....

Not seeing the 'great shooter' thing, to be honest.

* He shot 34.9% from three in 40 college games (82/235)
* He's shot 25.8% from three in 31 NBA games (17/66)
* He shot 24.4% across 5 Summer League games (56/114)
* He shot 44.2% from three across 17 D-League games (17/66)

That's a total of 172/481 three pointers taken by Young across all of those cases, with an overall percentage of 35.7%

This is certainly a solid number (especially for a rookie-ish guy) but the general view seems to be that he's a great / elite shooter, and I don't see that. 

I think his shooting ability looks more Eric Gordon than Ray Allen.

Not really seeing where the 'upside' argument comes from either. 

* He's not a freakish athlete (above average probably, but that's about it)
* He doesn't seem to be a great ball handler, so I question his ability to create his own NBA Shots
* He doesn't look to have great court vision or general court feel
* His defense is beyond terrible
* his rebounding is pretty average
* His IQ seems really, really low (like borderline Fab Melo low)
* His motor level seems poor (stands around doing nothing too often on both ends of the court)
* He seems to lack the 'killer instinct' - the desire to win at all costs, and the the drive to be great

Even in college, he only averaged 15.8 Pts / 4.7 Reb / 1.9 Ast / 0.8 Stl / 0.2 Blk Per 36 Minutes, he had an Assist-to-turnover ratio of 0.9 (which is Nerlens Noel territory) and averaged only 1.27 Points-Per-FGA (which is not really a standout number - especially for a guy who took so many threes).

I have to admit I'm a little unsure of why so many people see so much potential in Young.  I just don't feel he has the talent, the skills or the tools to be anything more than a 3rd string backup shooter  (e.g. Chris Johnson). 

By comparison, Terry Rozier averaged 17.6 Pts, 5.8 Reb, 3.1 Ast, 2.1 Stl, 0.2 Blk and 2.3 TO Per 36 Minutes in College, had an Assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.36, and had a moderately low scoring efficiency of 1.8 Points-Per-FGA.  Plus he is an excellent-to-elite athlete with very good ball handling skills...and people were criticising Danny for taking him at #16.

No idea why people are so big on Young, I feel like he has bust written all over him and that he has far less upside than any of our rookies (even Marcus Thornton).   

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:18:41 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2015, 04:26:14 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I'd go for Kyle Anderson

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2015, 06:41:07 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Really?  Wow, if that's true, these teams are really dumb, imo, because that's no reason to pass on him.  So the kid was nervous - a lot of players are, even the greatest ones of all time, before big games (like Russell, who always threw up before every game, lol ;D) and the like.  I remember watching a clip about Dennis Rodman where it said that the trainers for the Pistons had to redo the reading of his pulse because his heart was beating so fast.  Again, it happens.  No big deal.

For every Rodman or Russell, though, there's a few Royce Whites
I'm bitter.

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I despise the second guessing game.

I liked the selection of Young. I thought he was the best choice at the time once TJ Warren was off the board. The Cs already had solid players and that was a good pick to go for the home run ball.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.