27 (34.6%)
Mitch McGary
3 (3.8%)
PJ Hariston
0 (0%)
James Young I'm sticking with him.
38 (48.7%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Poll: Who do you wish we took at 17 last year  (Read 9801 times)

Re: Poll: Who do you wish we took at 17 last year
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2015, 09:57:50 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
At the time, I wanted Hood.

Given the choices, I'm fine riding out another season with Young and see what kind of development he makes in year two.  Hopefully, someone is teaching him how to defend.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2015, 11:37:33 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
From the choices left in the real draft, I wanted Kyle Anderson ("the smart player") or KJ Mcdaniels ("the defense guy").

I am still a bit sour Ainge did not move from that spot. We needed a center or a SF badly and both Nurkic and TJ Warren were projected a bit higher. A 2nd rounder or two would have done it.

The guys I really did not want were Young and PJ Hairston - mainly because of D, but also the pronounced tunnel vision and chucking of both guys. I know Warren is of the same breed, but he was just on another level compared to those two.

"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
We are talking about a kid that is barely 20 and is a great shooter with a tremendous upside.  Even if used as a chip in a trade, I'd rather have him over those other guys....

Not seeing the 'great shooter' thing, to be honest.

* He shot 34.9% from three in 40 college games (82/235)
* He's shot 25.8% from three in 31 NBA games (17/66)
* He shot 24.4% across 5 Summer League games (56/114)
* He shot 44.2% from three across 17 D-League games (17/66)

That's a total of 172/481 three pointers taken by Young across all of those cases, with an overall percentage of 35.7%

This is certainly a solid number (especially for a rookie-ish guy) but the general view seems to be that he's a great / elite shooter, and I don't see that. 

I think his shooting ability looks more Eric Gordon than Ray Allen.

Not really seeing where the 'upside' argument comes from either. 

* He's not a freakish athlete (above average probably, but that's about it)
* He doesn't seem to be a great ball handler, so I question his ability to create his own NBA Shots
* He doesn't look to have great court vision or general court feel
* His defense is beyond terrible
* his rebounding is pretty average
* His IQ seems really, really low (like borderline Fab Melo low)
* His motor level seems poor (stands around doing nothing too often on both ends of the court)
* He seems to lack the 'killer instinct' - the desire to win at all costs, and the the drive to be great

Even in college, he only averaged 15.8 Pts / 4.7 Reb / 1.9 Ast / 0.8 Stl / 0.2 Blk Per 36 Minutes, he had an Assist-to-turnover ratio of 0.9 (which is Nerlens Noel territory) and averaged only 1.27 Points-Per-FGA (which is not really a standout number - especially for a guy who took so many threes).

I have to admit I'm a little unsure of why so many people see so much potential in Young.  I just don't feel he has the talent, the skills or the tools to be anything more than a 3rd string backup shooter  (e.g. Chris Johnson). 

By comparison, Terry Rozier averaged 17.6 Pts, 5.8 Reb, 3.1 Ast, 2.1 Stl, 0.2 Blk and 2.3 TO Per 36 Minutes in College, had an Assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.36, and had a moderately low scoring efficiency of 1.8 Points-Per-FGA.  Plus he is an excellent-to-elite athlete with very good ball handling skills...and people were criticising Danny for taking him at #16.

No idea why people are so big on Young, I feel like he has bust written all over him and that he has far less upside than any of our rookies (even Marcus Thornton).   

I agree on the shooting point. In worried that his pretty stroke will never translate to elite 3 pt shooting but enough basketball people have told me that it's just a matter of time before a stroke like that starts producing that I believe them.

Your point on rozier is unfair. Young put up those stats at age 18, and both the rebounding and scoring numbers are rather good. Rozier put his numbers up at age 20 with a year of college experience in the bag.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2015, 12:54:13 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I wanted Nurkic actually but he was stolen at #16 right before our pick.  I feel we easily could have moved up for a 2nd rounder or one of our many extra future 2nds, but we RARELY draft foreign players.