Author Topic: demare derozen rumors  (Read 13709 times)

Re: demare derozen rumors
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2015, 05:31:06 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Trade AB for him

That was already mentioned in the thread.

No need to mention it. AB is in trade talk for any kind of players by now.  ::)

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2015, 05:35:21 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Derozan is a flawed player, and his lack of shooting and penchant for tough midrange shots make him a questionable fit for Stevens' offense.

So change the offense, lol.

Indeed.  You mold your gameplan to fit the talent, not the other way around.

I think Brad can make Derozan a more efficient player within his system, though, even if it means DD is only scoring 15-18 points a game instead of 20+.

I agree to that, but how do you change his 27% 3pts?
By asking him not to shoot?
That would be a liability.

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2015, 07:49:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'd actually really like to see him come to Boston, but I'd rather bring him here to play SF rather than SG.

We don't really have any shooting right now at the SF spot - Turner and Crowder are both pretty mediocre outside shooters.  Bringing in Derozan in their place means we are gaining a lot (scoring ability, athleticism, etc) but not really losing much (since shooting is already a weakness there).

However if we traded him for Bradley and started him at SG, we then have a Guard and a SF who can't shoot threes...then you have Smart at PG and probably Sully of Lee at PF.  That's some terrible court spacing.

A trade of Derozan for Sullinger, Turner and Perry Jones works according to the Trade Machine.  Throw ina 1st rounder from next year, and that seems like a pretty solid return for Derozan (assuming Toronto are moving forward with Ross). 

That would leave us with:

C: Amir Johnson / Tyler Zeller
PF: David Lee / Kelly Olynyk / Jordan Mickey
SF: Demar Derozan / Jae Crowder /Jonas Jerebko
SG: Avery Bradley / RJ Hunter / Terry Rozier
PG: Marcus Smart / Isaiah Thomas / Terry Rozier

Nice roster there - lots of versatility, lots of depth, and a very nice offense/defense balance.

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2015, 08:21:05 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Derozan is a flawed player, and his lack of shooting and penchant for tough midrange shots make him a questionable fit for Stevens' offense.

I think Brad can make Derozan a more efficient player within his system, though, even if it means DD is only scoring 15-18 points a game instead of 20+.

I agree to that, but how do you change his 27% 3pts?
By asking him not to shoot?
That would be a liability.

The only possible solution I can think of is, perhaps to start, anyway, having him take the majority of his 3s from the corners, seeing as it is closer from there than at any other point in terms of 3-point shooting on the court.  Other than that, just practice.  A lot.

Sidebar - every time I see 'DD' I think Dunkin Donuts ;D.

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 09:02:06 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

So change your entire offense to accommodate one semi talented player?  One of the most illogical suggestions I've ever heard.

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 09:18:54 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
DeRozan would be one of the best players on our team. He might take some a lot of midrange jumpers but he also gets to the hoop more than anyone on our team not named Isaiah Thomas. He is a great athlete, with plus size, who is young and could improve.

That being said, the reason the Raptors are shopping him is because he wants 20+ MM a year starting next year. Do we really want to give up a bunch of assets and then fork over a huge payday for DeRozan. Personally I'd rather wait until next off season to make a run at him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 09:52:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I feel that if Derozan was a good fit for what Stevens is trying to do, then Marcus Thornton 1.0 would have been utilized more in his short time in Boston.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2015, 12:05:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I feel that if Derozan was a good fit for what Stevens is trying to do, then Marcus Thornton 1.0 would have been utilized more in his short time in Boston.

CBS loves the three, Derozan does not shoot it well.   He is a deft scorer but not a shooter.

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2015, 12:24:10 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

CBS loves the three, Derozan does not shoot it well.   He is a deft scorer but not a shooter.

Maybe DMDR should play for the Knicks.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Plus he's far more athletic than Thornton.  They aren't near the same style of players

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2015, 05:19:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think this is too simplistic.

Stevens prizes floor spacing to create lots of space for multiple ball-handlers to attack and create scoring opportunities.

Derozan isn't a great shooter, but he could work well in Stevens' system as a ball-handler / slasher so long as he's surrounded by good shooters.  In other words, he doesn't create space, but he's good at attacking it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain