Author Topic: demare derozen rumors  (Read 13706 times)

demare derozen rumors
« on: July 11, 2015, 05:44:01 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/07/10/toronto-raptors-rumors-extending-terrence-ross-could-mean-demar-derozans-departure/
it says

The Toronto Raptors are reportedly looking to sign Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross to long-term deals as their rookie-scale contracts come to a close. It’s no surprise to see Valanciunas mentioned, as most analysts consider him the franchise’s top asset, but Ross is an interesting inclusion in the report. A contract extension for Ross could have some major implications.

DeMar DeRozan, the Raps’ leading scorer in 2014-15, might opt out of his contract next summer to take advantage of the salary cap spike. As such, it could be really tough to bring him back. He’s a well-liked player and enjoys playing in Toronto, but I doubt GM Masai Ujiri wants to get in an open-market bidding war. In his career as an executive, Ujiri has never been one to hand out superstar contracts.

c'mon danny do somethin
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: demare derozen rumors
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'm torn on Derozan. I think the C's really need another player who can score and attack the hoop like he can (IT4 is the only other player on the roster who currently fulfills those 2 traits). BUT...his lack of efficiency and 3 pts shooting concern me. I'm not sure if that is just due to bad shot selection/system or if he just sucks at shooting. Maybe it's something that Stevens' system could possible fix/improve?

Also, what is the likelihood of Toronto actually making a deal within the division?

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 06:08:48 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
If Stevens can fix him, we are looking at allstar level type of player with DeRozan.
That means Ainge will probably make a serious run at him.
If we don't hear rumors about talks between Celtics and Raptors, that means Danny doesn't believe in this player.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 06:12:07 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

If we don't hear rumors about talks between Celtics and Raptors, that means Danny doesn't believe in this player.

Or he's working on a deal right now.  ;D

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 06:24:19 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
He has is flaws, but a healthy 25 year-old wing who averaged 20 points and get to the line 7-8 times per game?

Straight up for Bradley if we believe in Rozier?

Smart / Rozier / Thomas / Hunter / Young (guards)
Derozan / Crowder / Turner (wings)
Johnson / Sully / Lee / KO / Jerebko (bigs)

That team would be very competitive in the east, and next summer our highest paid players would be Crowder ($7M) and Thomas ($6.5M).

We'd be at:

Smart, Rozier, Thomas, Crowder, KO, Hunter = ~$25M
2-3 1st rounders
5 2nd rounders
DeRozan, Sully, Zeller = free agents
$60-$65M cap room

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 01:04:36 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
id trade any combo of Bradley, Turner, KO, or Young any day and twice on Sunday. We need a flat out scorer and he fits the bill.

He isn't the most efficient shooter but I think his numbers and efficiency would both go up under Brad Stevens in our system

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 01:23:49 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I for one really liked Derozan (drafted him in fantasy) but, wouldn't it be difficut to have him as the starting 2 ? Based on the current rebuilding phase,  Our starting lineup won't have any 3pt shooters.

I would love for it to wok but wouldn't anyone else be scared starting a game with our best shoooters benched?  IMO ofcourse. Not at all saying it wont work

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 10:23:35 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like DeeDee but wouldn't give up much for him.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:22:38 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 10:46:38 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
There's no chance we're going to get him offering 50 cents on the dollar value (Bradley straight up or any combination of type deal won't get it done).  He's averaged 20ppg the last 2 years. It may take something like KO and Bradley to do it if he's even available ( I don't take Rant articles real seriously).   

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
This is what picks are for - AB/Young/Sully and a pick or two. You have to keep KO to open up the court for drives to the hoops from Droz.

Always been a fan and IMO this is the type of player you go after even if he's not here long term he's a trade for an even better player.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 12:08:52 PM »

Offline PutItInTheAir

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
been commenting on derozan for about a week now, young guy still, can play the 2 or 3, creates off the dribble, and can get to the line. something the Cs really need, they were 26th in FTs last year above orlando, NY, and POR but the blazers shot a higher %, so really third worst. id be all for it with any combination of bradley, young, KO, lee, picks

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Derozan is a flawed player, and his lack of shooting and penchant for tough midrange shots make him a questionable fit for Stevens' offense.

Still, beggars can't be choosers.  Derozan is a legitimate 20 points scorer with great size and athleticism for a wing.  He's only 25, and he gets to the free throw line consistently.  I think he could be a lot better with a coach like Brad Stevens than what he's had up in Toronto.

I agree with dreamgreen -- this is what all those picks are for.  Sweetening a trade package for a second tier player like Derozan.  We can offer Toronto young, cost controlled role players that will help fortify their team, and picks that will help them continue to build it up in the future. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 01:17:39 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't know. It seems if we were really going to go after this type of player, we would have been a lot more aggressive with Tobias Harris where we wouldn't have had to give up anything. I realize Orl decided that they would match anything, but the trade package would have been less than for DeRozan.

I mean, I would take DeRozan if the cost wasn't too much - he's a good player and fills a need, but someone like Harris would have cost less (since he was signed this year) and filled a greater need as a SF.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
The challenge in assessing DeRozen's trade value is his expiring contract. Now, Danny may see some advantage there - eg bird rights and possible use in sign in trade - but any trade assessment is not  simply about the relative value of the players on the floor....

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 01:48:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The challenge in assessing DeRozen's trade value is his expiring contract. Now, Danny may see some advantage there - eg bird rights and possible use in sign in trade - but any trade assessment is not  simply about the relative value of the players on the floor....
Exactly can't trade away too much when he will be a FA next year. Best  to keep your assets since team will have cap space next year anyways to sign him outright. Don't pull a NYKs