Author Topic: Trade Idea: Meyers Leonard for Kelly Olynyk (With Adjustments)  (Read 1977 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
So who says no, a trade centered around Meyers Leonard and Kelly Olynyk (this not need be the final package)?

The rationalization behind this is that Meyers Leonard will be a restricted free agent next year, and Kelly Olynyk still has a few years left on his contract, so there's some incentive on that regard.

I see Portland currently a bit crowded in their big spots, so they might not want to pay all that much going forward to Meyers.

As centers go, they currently have Mason Plumlee. In addition to that, they have Ed Davis who can slide and play there and also a lottery pick in Noah Vonleh (though while seemingly a bust for now, he's still quite young). Also, there's Chris Kaman in the final year of his contract.

That's the primary focus in this trade. When the main idea of this came up for me, I was thinking of a Olynyk and Turner combo package since I think Portland could use a 2/3 player who can create for himself and help with ball-handling.

Something to also consider is the offer-sheet they offered Enes Kanter, which seems like the Thunder would match, but leads me to believe that Portland isn't too hot in their interest in keeping Leonard around and even if they're still interested in him, wouldn't looking for further big man help get even more crowded to be worth keeping him in the first place? Might've been a bluff to force the Thunder to match, but that's a lot of money just to bluff a rival.

Anyways, is there something here worth exploring, with your favorite adjustments if needed be?

Re: Trade Idea: Meyers Leonard for Kelly Olynyk (With Adjustments)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:15:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Portland are thinking about Meyers Leonard as a PF and not a C. I don't think their pursuit of Enes Kanter says anything about M.Leonard's long term future there.

I am expecting Portland to start M.Leonard at PF next season alongside Mason Plumlee at C. Then have Ed Davis (backup PF) and Chris Kaman (backup C) providing depth. Noah Vonleh competing for bench minutes but likely ending up as 5th big in the depth chart.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 02:17:58 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'd do it.

I think Leonard would be nice to have at center.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 02:19:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
no. Kelly is better

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »

Online PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'd rather keep Olynyk than trade him for a stiff like Leonard.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 02:21:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I think Portland are thinking about Meyers Leonard as a PF and not a C. I don't think their pursuit of Enes Kanter says anything about M.Leonard's long term future there.

I am expecting Portland to start M.Leonard at PF next season alongside Mason Plumlee at C. Then have Ed Davis (backup PF) and Chris Kaman (backup C) providing depth. Noah Vonleh competing for bench minutes but likely ending up as 5th big in the depth chart.

That could very well be the case, at the same time it might tell you that they aren't high on him on playing C, so they're going to experiment... on his final year of his rookie deal (before a qualifying offer needs to be tended).

So, with that in mind, why experiment with Leonard, when you can get Olynyk who can play the 4 and give you the same/better perimeter game that they might be looking from Leonard, with a side benefit of better basketball IQ and ballhandling.

And the biggest motivator, the financial aspect of it and control.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:27:18 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 02:23:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
no. Kelly is better

I think we'd need Leonard a lot more than we need Kelly and his "talents."

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 02:27:58 PM »

Online PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
no. Kelly is better

I think the C's need shooting more than a guy who really isn't good at anything except being tall.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 02:29:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
no. Kelly is better

think about it, is this true?

CBS wants stretch big players. Do you think Leonard can meet this demand?  He is not known to be a good mid range jump shooter.  Below average handles. 

What KO does is, open the lane up for everyone else.   

Yes he is indecisive (hopefully this improves), passive a times and can do a better job rebounding the ball.  But there is promise he is going to keep getting stronger. And If KO can get as fit and strong as Love, he is going to be a high demand pf in the league for years to come

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 02:31:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
no. Kelly is better

CBS wants stretch big players. Do you think Leonard can meet this demand?  He is not known to be a good mid range jump shooter.  Below average handles. 

Yes he is indecisive (hopefully this improves), passive a times and can do a better job rebounding the ball.  But there is promise he is going to keep getting stronger. And If KO can get as fit and strong as Love, he is going to be a high demand pf in the league for years to come

Yet he shot 42% from beyond the arc, including 77% against Memphis in the playoffs.

Leonard also younger.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 02:32:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
no. Kelly is better

I don't see any of this even remotely happening.