Author Topic: Wolves and Celtics trade Idea: Bennett to Celtics  (Read 5705 times)

Re: Wolves and Celtics trade Idea: Bennett to Celtics
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 01:43:18 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I don't think we'd have to give up much of anything for him.  Here is the rumored trade a few days before the draft. 

"Per a league source, Minnesota Timberwolves have discussed trading Anthony Bennett, Nos. 31 and 38 to the Boston Celtics for pick No. 28."

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/report-timberwolves-offer-anthony-bennett-to-celtics-062415

There's no way I'd give up Sully for him.

The OP apparently wasn't aware of this rumor. Bennett's a negative asset. IOW, we should be getting something back to take him off their hands. When I looked at TWolves forums for their reaction to the rumor, they thought the deal was too unfavorable giving up two early seconds for a late first, but if it was a straight deal into cap space (i.e., with a top 55 protected 2nd rounder going back to Minn to make it legal), there likely wouldn't have been any negative reaction except at the fringe.

We've got free cap of $6-7 million apparently and maybe slightly more if we cut 1 of Pressey or Babb, but I wouldn't do it without a high 2nd rounder attached. Guy has come to camp out of shape both years and apparently has a low BB IQ too. Doesn't do any thing well.

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 06:39:07 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
When Bennett got taken #1 overall I legitimately asked myself: Does the Cavs front office do their own scouting or just read media hype?

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 01:42:29 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
My ideal trade with the Wolves:

Minnesota trades:
Gorgui Dieng
Anthony Bennett

Boston trades:
Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk
James Young
2016 2nd round pick(s)

Would send a 1st round pick too, can give Minnesota their own pick back even, have plenty of picks. Dieng is the prize here, think he's the kind of versatile and athletic center that can fit in with what the Celtics are trying to build.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:49:03 PM by NYDan »

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 01:51:39 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Budinger just got traded:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13240214/minnesota-timberwolves-trade-chase-budinger-indiana-pacers-damjan-rudez

This might be it for Minny in terms of roster-trimming.

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wolves future protected 1st, Pek and Bennett for TPE, Turner and Sully works for me.

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Wolves future protected 1st, Pek and Bennett for TPE, Turner and Sully works for me.
That seems a bit steep. Pek's career is almost over, he is more often injured than actually playing. Bennett is rather useless, as he failed in two systems, both of which at the time were focused at developing young talent. Taking on those two alone should be an unprotected pick or two at least.

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 06:12:19 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
That seems a bit steep. Pek's career is almost over, he is more often injured than actually playing. Bennett is rather useless, as he failed in two systems, both of which at the time were focused at developing young talent. Taking on those two alone should be an unprotected pick or two at least.

All picks are protected it seems. Make it top 7 protected is all.
Team gets big after this trade at least. Also 3 offensive Centers is impressive.

Smart/IT/Rozier
AB/Hunter/Young
Crowder/Jerekbo/Bennett
AJ/Lee/Mickey
Pek/Zeller/KO

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 06:30:38 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
I wouldn't give them a 2nd round draft pick for Bennett.

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 07:55:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Too expensive to be worth the trouble at this moment.

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 08:20:30 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Bennett still has some ways to go but with 5-7 pounds of weight loss, keep practising shooting , improve on lateral quickness could be a tough SF/PF to play against.

The Wolves want to shed salary right now but my gut feeling is that they want to surround alot of the young guys on the team with some vet presence as well

CBS I think can help out Bennett's game (refine)

To Wolves: Sullinger, Turner, Young
To Celtics:  Bennett, Budinger, 2nd round pick

I don't understand why Danny would trade:

An undersized, overweight, 23 year old, starting caliber PF who is very productive and has shown strong signs up upside

For..

An undersized, overweight, 22 year old prospect PF who is highly unproductive and has shown no signs of upside

While also throwing in a productive SF - one of the positions where we are most lacking in depth.

With the guys on our roster now, Bennett wouldn't get a minute of playing time.  If were' going to take up a roster spot with someone who isn't going to play, then I'd much rather give it to one of our rookies (Rozier, Hunger, Mickey) rather than Bennett.

Plus Sully, Turner and Young for Bennett WAY overpaying.  Bennett for Turner and Young is closer to fair value, and even then wouldn't do it.  Sully is so much better than Bennett it's not even funny.

Yes I know Sully is expiring, but that's still no reason to GIVE him away.  I'm convinced we could get at least a solid contributor in return for Sully.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:45:13 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 08:24:58 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Bennett still has some ways to go but with 5-7 pounds of weight loss, keep practising shooting , improve on lateral quickness could be a tough SF/PF to play against.

The Wolves want to shed salary right now but my gut feeling is that they want to surround alot of the young guys on the team with some vet presence as well

An undersized, overweight, 24 year old, starting caliber PF who is very productive and has shown strong signs up upside

For..

An undersized, overweight, 22 year old prospect PF who is highly unproductive and has shown no signs of upside

While also throwing in a productive SF - one of the positions where we are most lacking in depth.

With the guys on our roster now, Bennett wouldn't get a minute of playing time.  If were' going to take up a roster spot with someone who isn't going to play, then I'd much rather give it to one of our rookies (Rozier, Hunger, Mickey) rather than Bennett.

Plus Sully, Turner and Young for Bennett WAY overpaying.  Bennett for Turner and Young is closer to fair value, and even then wouldn't do it.  Sully is so much better than Bennett it's not even funny.

Yes I know Sully is expiring, but that's still no reason to GIVE him away.  I'm convinced we could get at least a solid contributor in return for Sully.

In your analysis, who's the 24 year old?

Subtract a year if for Sully.

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 08:45:27 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

An undersized, overweight, 24 year old, starting caliber PF who is very productive and has shown strong signs up upside

For..

In your analysis, who's the 24 year old?

Subtract a year if for Sully.

Edited :)

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Horrible idea.  Sully and he and the same team would be a disaster.  If this happens I am buying Golden Corral stock.

Trading Sully for him, is trading one problem for another.