Author Topic: Why dont the Mavs trade for Pecovic?  (Read 3309 times)

Why dont the Mavs trade for Pecovic?
« on: July 10, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »

Offline garyp31

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Forget about Zaza. Get a slightly above average center in Nikola Pecovic from Minnesota. He would play great with Dirk and the Wolves can make way for Towns. Any thoughts?

Re: Why dont the Mavs trade for Pecovic?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 12:38:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If the Mavericks are looking for someone to cover for Dirk and the rest of their roster on defense Pek isn't the guy they want.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 12:43:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Acquiring Martin and Pek could, in theory, keep the Mavs afloat in the middle of the league for another year.

Problem is, both guys struggle mightily on defense and are frequently injured.  Not really shoring up the Mavs' weaknesses.

Imagine if the Mavs weren't constantly trading away their draft picks and younger players, what would that look like?

What if they had kept Crowder, Wright, Aminu?  What if they had kept Zeller instead of trading him on draft night?  What if they had put more effort into developing guys like Roddy Beaubois and Jared Cunningham?

The Mavs are paying the price for always trying to overturn their roster and chase after major free agents instead of trying to organically develop a supporting cast.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Better off tanking than finishing 10th-14th and losing the draft pick.

Dallas making moves but they are not good enough to get themselves back into the playoffs. Neither is this one. Improves them but not enough.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 12:53:40 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Forget about Zaza. Get a slightly above average center in Nikola Pecovic from Minnesota. He would play great with Dirk and the Wolves can make way for Towns. Any thoughts?

Why would anyone want to do that?  Pecovik makes over 12 million and has only played 47, 62,54 and 31 games in each of the last 4 years.  He's a walking injury.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 01:07:33 PM »

Offline garyp31

• Open Roster Spot
Because when healthy he is easily a top 10 center in the league

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Dallas making moves but they are not good enough to get themselves back into the playoffs. Neither is this one. Improves them but not enough.
I don't think that is quite true.  This was discussed in other threads, but there really are only 7 clear cut teams better than Dallas in the west - GS, MEM, SAS, LAC, HOU, OKC, NO.  That 8th spot is really up for grabs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 01:15:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Um.

Just out of curiosity, could you make a top 15 list for centers? I'm curious as to see who grades out where.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 01:21:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I don't think that is quite true.  This was discussed in other threads, but there really are only 7 clear cut teams better than Dallas in the west - GS, MEM, SAS, LAC, HOU, OKC, NO.  That 8th spot is really up for grabs.

I have Utah and Phoenix ahead of Dallas too (along with those other teams you noted above).

That has Dallas 10th in the West (at best).

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »

Offline garyp31

• Open Roster Spot

Um.

Just out of curiosity, could you make a top 15 list for centers? I'm curious as to see who grades out where.

Howard Cousins Lopez Gortat Drummond Gasol Jordan Noah Jefferson

You could make a case of chandler or pekovic for 10. I don't consider tim Duncan a center

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 01:37:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I agree with you, but despite what Cuban said when he thought DJ was signing with his team, I don't think Cuban has it in him to intentionally tank.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Um.

You could make a case of chandler or pekovic for 10. I don't consider tim Duncan a center

Rudy Gobert? I might even argue Mozgov. And Duncan has essentially played center while listed at PF for his entire career, now he's probably going to be listed as a center as well.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 01:39:24 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Um.

Hmmm..

I got Cousins as the best center.

Cousins
Gasol
Howard
Jordan
Vucevic
Lopez
Jefferson
Drummond
Noah
Gortat

Honorable mentions would be like Hibbert if he can get his head screwed on right.

I don't consider Horford or Bosh centers, but if they were, they'd be around the 5-8th mark.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Um.

I wouldn't consider Pekovic better than: Mozgov, Vucevic, Valanciunas, Gobert, Horford, Whiteside or Monroe.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 02:02:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Um.

Hmmm..

I got Cousins as the best center.

Cousins
Gasol
Howard
Jordan
Vucevic
Lopez
Jefferson
Drummond
Noah
Gortat

Honorable mentions would be like Hibbert if he can get his head screwed on right.

I don't consider Horford or Bosh centers, but if they were, they'd be around the 5-8th mark.

Out of curiosity, how can we not call Horford a center now? He is there starting center, plays alongside Millsap at power forward for all of their significant minutes. They also just resigned Millsap for a few years so his role isn't going to change. He is also listed as a center. I don't really see where the debate starts?