Author Topic: Deron Williams negotiating release to play with Dallas, consequences for Celtics' picks [Merged]  (Read 41464 times)

Re: Nets and Deron Williams discussing his release
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2015, 11:36:31 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
From Mike Mazzeo's twitter:

#Nets don't want to spend $40 million in luxury taxes on a borderline playoff team. Have already spent $122 million in BKN for one series W.

Billy King said Thursday that team is essentially looking at McCullough as its 2016 first. #Nets owe their 2016 unprotected first to Celts.
https://twitter.com/mazzespn

That all sounds like good news.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If Williams gets bought out, he still counts towards the Nets' cap doesn't he?  The only benefit for the Nets is that they only have to pay him whatever they agree to instead of the full contract, right?  They said they don't want to use the stretch provision, so they'd still on the hook for ~21 million dollars the next two years.

It's a negotiation. Usually the player will accept less money in exchange for his freedom.

It's a negotiation in terms of actual money paid to the player, but I believe the entire amount of the original contract still counts against the cap regardless. Sounds like it doesn't matter either way because the Nets want to save money and wouldn't use the hypothetical cap space anyway.

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2015, 11:54:21 AM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
front page of espn right now.  looks to be a real possibility so he can sign free and clear with the Mavs. interesting to say the least.  sad to say the Nets looked better last year with him on the sideline and replaced by Jack in the starting lineup as is.  obviously would impact our team on multiple fronts in that the odds of that Mavs pick being outside the top 7 rise, and who knows what happens to that Nets pick (nevermind the future Nets picks) as i can see the argument both that they're better and worse without him.
On the one hand Williams makes the Nets worse but he will make the Mavs better?  I suppose this is possible but there does seem to be a contradiction there.

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2015, 11:54:59 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
If Williams gets bought out, he still counts towards the Nets' cap doesn't he?  The only benefit for the Nets is that they only have to pay him whatever they agree to instead of the full contract, right?  They said they don't want to use the stretch provision, so they'd still on the hook for ~21 million dollars the next two years.

It's a negotiation. Usually the player will accept less money in exchange for his freedom.

It's a negotiation in terms of actual money paid to the player, but I believe the entire amount of the original contract still counts against the cap regardless. Sounds like it doesn't matter either way because the Nets want to save money and wouldn't use the hypothetical cap space anyway.

It sounds like the concern is the 2016 free agent class. If they still have the cap hit, how does dumping DWill help?

Mike

Re: How bad would D-Will to the Mavs screw the Celtics!??
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2015, 11:57:43 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

But on the Brooklyn side, part of me nervously wonders if Williams leaving Brooklyn would end up being addition by subtraction.  We saw it here with Rondo.  We need Brooklyn to be as bad as possible and I'm not convinced Deron Williams leaving makes that happen.  Shows you how far his career has fallen from his Utah days.

I don't see that happening. Williams had his bad moments, but was still a reasonable starting pg in the league last season. The Nets were a neutral team with him and terrible with Jack running the point. Jack is horrible. We're in good shape if he's taking the pg minutes this season. Larkin is worse, though he may improve with experience. Steve Blake ain't bad, but he's not swinging their win total in either direction.

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2015, 12:08:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

It sounds like the concern is the 2016 free agent class. If they still have the cap hit, how does dumping DWill help?

Mike

With the huge cap increase coming in 2016 they don't need to move him to save cap space. It sounds like management just wants to save money this year. They don't want to pay this much for a roster that will suck , so since they have accepted that they will suck they may as well save some money.

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2015, 12:33:58 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I posted something a page or two back on this - according to the cap FAQ, the buyout amount is what counts against the cap, stretched over the number of years remaining on the contract. (Minus any new salary paid by another team.)

I had actually thought the original contract amount was what counted too. I think that's true if a player is waived outright.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Dallas wont be that great next season.  No worries.

Brooklyn also wont be that great. But the picks will be around 15-18 unfortunately

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Brooklyn also wont be that great. But the picks will be around 15-18 unfortunately
lopez could easily miss 20 games . To me that pick is looking more and more like a top 10 next year wooo hooo

Dallas will probably be around 10-15

Nice!

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

You think they make the playoffs?

its too early to really set anything in stone but in the east
Cleveland, Atlanta, Chicago, Washington, Milwakee, Miami seem like locks with Indiana, Boston, and Toronto all looking pretty decent as well.
and in the West
GSW, San Antonio, LA, Memphis, Houston, OKC seem like locks and Id give Phoenix, New Orleans, and Utah all the edge over Dallas especially with Parsons and Wes coming off injuries.

I think Brooklyn will be 10th in the East and I think Dallas is 10th in the West. Which would come out to something like the 9th and 12th picks or something in that vicinity.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
at this rate, our 2016 firsts will double in value by years end. 

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
This would be good for the Brooklyn pick and wouldn't make Dallas much better because they are in the west
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

is this being pessimistic just for the sake of being pessimistic? The Dallas pick will be really hard to predict because their two best players will be coming off injuries and nobody on their team has played together. However, I am really not sure how you can say a team that starts

Jarret Jack
Markel Brown
Joe Johnson
Thad Young
Brook Lopez

with a bench of boatright, blake, rookies, vet mins

ends up with the 18th pick? That is ridiculous even for the east. Please name 5 teams that team is better than in either conference..

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
This could be good for our Mavs pick and the Nets picks is the awesome thing  ;D
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995

is this being pessimistic just for the sake of being pessimistic? The Dallas pick will be really hard to predict because their two best players will be coming off injuries and nobody on their team has played together. However, I am really not sure how you can say a team that starts

Jarret Jack
Markel Brown
Joe Johnson
Thad Young
Brook Lopez

with a bench of boatright, blake, rookies, vet mins

ends up with the 18th pick? That is ridiculous even for the east. Please name 5 teams that team is better than in either conference..

Cavs, Bulls, Bucks, Hawks, Heat, Pacers, Wizards, Celtics lol. Then you got the Pistons rising and the return of Carmelo Anthony + Porzingis. The Bobcats/Hornets just acquired Jeremy Lin as well.

I think I have them in the bottom 3-4 team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)