Author Topic: Deron Williams negotiating release to play with Dallas, consequences for Celtics' picks [Merged]  (Read 41466 times)

Re: How bad would D-Will to the Mavs screw the Celtics!??
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 07:40:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I thought Deron Williams was a 15-20th rate starting PG when he was playing well last season. But he was so inconsistent and unreliable over the course of the year. He vacillated between being useful starter and an average to below average bench player. He played like a dodgy bench player about as often if not more often than he did a useful starter. And was rarely a serious difference maker out there.

I don't know if Dallas could give his career a new start. It would be fantastic for Deron if that could happen but it's hard to be optimistic about Deron at this point. My guess is Deron Williams would be a small improvement for Dallas given how little depth they have at the moment. Give them a backup quality PG at the least. Challenge Felton and D.Harris for the starting job -- not sure Deron wins that job either.

For Brooklyn? They have Jarrett Jack and acquired Steve Blake. Those two should be able to replace what Deron Williams did for them given how little Deron actually contributed to that team last year.

Re: Nets and Deron Williams discussing his release
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 07:44:17 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
If Williams gets bought out, he still counts towards the Nets' cap doesn't he?  The only benefit for the Nets is that they only have to pay him whatever they agree to instead of the full contract, right?  They said they don't want to use the stretch provision, so they'd still on the hook for ~21 million dollars the next two years.

It's a negotiation. Usually the player will accept less money in exchange for his freedom.

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 07:52:36 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I don't think losing or signing Williams moves the needle much for either team this year.  He is a pretty average injury prone player at this point.
I do think that if the Nets clear some salary that it will hurt our pick in 2017.

Doesn't Williams still count towards their cap if he gets bought out?  I thought the only benefit for the Nets was that they have to pay him less actual cash.  I could be wrong on this but I didn't think this would give the Nets any cap savings.  Even if it does though, the Nets were going to have max level cap room next year anyway with Johnson coming off the books.  Not having Williams gives them potentially two max slots, but there's no guarantee they'd actually land free agents.  They'll basically have to offer what the Knicks had this offseason (one star, a big market, and a poor front office), only the Knicks' star is better, the Nets are clearly second fiddle in New York, and they won't have a high draft pick that could be used to add more talent.  And the Knicks struck out this year.

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 07:52:49 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
When healthy DWill has his star moments

Unfortunately they are few and far between

Which is like 10 % of the time , he is crippled or not playing at all the rest .

He is one of those players that opens eyes on paper ...you pencil him in ......as killer

Then ...the result is a lot of DNP ,  hobbling , whining , lack of practice intensity .

He is very much a DIVA .......and a lot like older Rondo

I think he is a BAD fit ....Mavs coach is a no non sense, hard pusher ,  he may not like the effort or lack of from DWill.

I LoVe the trade for the Celtics ....... It hurts both teams in the longer run just enough to help the Celtics .

It's hard to imagine DWill being fit 100% a whole season on either ......his frail legs , back , and mind  are ready to tank a team at any moment in a season.  But healthy and fit and actually trying or caring ...he might make the Mavs to near playoff level , but really not seeing it. Still .Mavs finishe at near bottom without DJ

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 08:15:42 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think losing or signing Williams moves the needle much for either team this year.  He is a pretty average injury prone player at this point.
I do think that if the Nets clear some salary that it will hurt our pick in 2017.

Doesn't Williams still count towards their cap if he gets bought out?  I thought the only benefit for the Nets was that they have to pay him less actual cash.  I could be wrong on this but I didn't think this would give the Nets any cap savings.  Even if it does though, the Nets were going to have max level cap room next year anyway with Johnson coming off the books.  Not having Williams gives them potentially two max slots, but there's no guarantee they'd actually land free agents.  They'll basically have to offer what the Knicks had this offseason (one star, a big market, and a poor front office), only the Knicks' star is better, the Nets are clearly second fiddle in New York, and they won't have a high draft pick that could be used to add more talent.  And the Knicks struck out this year.
I'm not an expert but I think they can use the stretch provision and spread out the money they pay him over more years, so his effect on the cap is less on a yearly basis.  Someone else can tell me if that is right.

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 08:17:12 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

That's what I thought also.

Just read the Nets would stretch the contract out for 5 years. 21 mil would now only be 9 mil for the year against the cap.

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 08:18:11 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

I'm not an expert but I think they can use the stretch provision and spread out the money they pay him over more years, so his effect on the cap is less on a yearly basis.  Someone else can tell me if that is right.

They can, but I thought said they weren't going to.  But they could do that regardless of whether or not they buy him out.  From their perspective I don't think it makes sense to do that because they suck this year and they're likely going to suck next year, so they might as well get the cap hit out of the way now.

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2015, 08:34:22 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
If the Lakers and Knicks couldn't bring in big talent in a pretty talented free agent class where only a few teams had money, the Nets have zero chance to bring in impact free agents in a thinner class where everyone will have money.

If we're hoping for Nets picks to turn into top 3 selections it's unlikely no matter what the Nets do or don't do, but that Mavs team with Williams smells  pretty Seventh-worst-y to me.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Agree with what seems to be the consensus here: This deal would benefit the Celtics.

What's important is what it signals, specifically that a) the Nets are looking to dump salary (Deron Williams and Joe Johnson), and don't mind taking a step back into the lottery this year; and b) the Mavs aren't going to follow the plan that Cuban laid out on the radio a while back, specifically that they would tank (and thus preserve their pick this year) if they didn't get a Deandre Jordan or another big-name free agent.

My chief concern is that Deron Williams is so washed up that, even if they aren't trying to do so, the Mavs will be so bad this year that they'll keep the pick and push it off into 2017. That's not so bad, anyway, because we'd still be likely to get a lottery pick from them at some point.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2015, 08:58:10 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
what if both Dallas and Nets still sucks and we get both lotto picks next year?  ;D

a man can dream

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't think the Rick Carlisle - Deron Williams relationship is going to be all sunshine and roses.

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
what if both Dallas and Nets still sucks and we get both lotto picks next year?  ;D

a man can dream

The current Mavs team can't make it to the playoffs in the West but this Current Nets team could do it in the East.

http://therunnersports.com/2015/07/06/2016-nba-standings-predictions/

For what it's worth, I found a 2016 standings prediction which has the Mavs as 6th in the West (WITH D. Jordan) and the Nets 11th in the East. Swap Jordan for D. Williams and they still land in the 5-8 range but that likely hurts the Nets possibly dropping to 12-13.

That Nets pick could end up being around the 5th pick while Dallas lands at #21 (same spot as this year).

+/- #5, #21, and our own pick which could honestly go as high as the Nets pick or as high as the late teens, we could probably have more teams seriously listening to trades.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2015, 09:14:29 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Agree with what seems to be the consensus here: This deal would benefit the Celtics.

What's important is what it signals, specifically that a) the Nets are looking to dump salary (Deron Williams and Joe Johnson), and don't mind taking a step back into the lottery this year; and b) the Mavs aren't going to follow the plan that Cuban laid out on the radio a while back, specifically that they would tank (and thus preserve their pick this year) if they didn't get a Deandre Jordan or another big-name free agent.

My chief concern is that Deron Williams is so washed up that, even if they aren't trying to do so, the Mavs will be so bad this year that they'll keep the pick and push it off into 2017. That's not so bad, anyway, because we'd still be likely to get a lottery pick from them at some point.
This.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2015, 09:32:47 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

a man can dream

1st (Nets), 8th (Mavs), 13th (Wolves), and 30th (C's) is the dream!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

D-Will to the Mavs???
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2015, 09:41:59 AM »

Offline Dee Brown

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 2
This would be HUGE.  Not only would it most likely make our Nets pick in 2016 a lotto pick, but it should also help make the Mavs good enough to not be one of the worst 7 teams in the league (but still probably not a playoff team).

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13231321/deron-williams-brooklyn-nets-talks-secure-williams-release