Author Topic: Deron Williams negotiating release to play with Dallas, consequences for Celtics' picks [Merged]  (Read 41474 times)

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Dallas gm is retarded.   Rondo was not a good fit for the Mavs.  The organization found out the hard way.   And now you get another sour apple in Williams

Carlise might quit after this season

Of all the words you could use, "retarded"? Come on, man...

Thicken that skin up, bud.

The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Did the Nets use the stretch provision on Deron? Also, I saw on Hoopshype he'll be a 5.5M cap hit. How was that figured?

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Did the Nets use the stretch provision on Deron? Also, I saw on Hoopshype he'll be a 5.5M cap hit. How was that figured?

It was reported that Deron was getting $25-30 million of his deal.  If he was given $27.5 million and stretched, $5.5 million would count every year for 5 years (double his remaining two years, plus one year).

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

It was reported that Deron was getting $25-30 million of his deal.  If he was given $27.5 million and stretched, $5.5 million would count every year for 5 years (double his remaining two years, plus one year).

Well okay den, I'm just surprised that the Nets elected to stretch him and deal with his salary on the books for the next 5 years.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Well okay den, I'm just surprised that the Nets elected to stretch him and deal with his salary on the books for the next 5 years.

They're realistically not competing for anything this year and will be lucky if they even make the playoffs. There's absolutely no reason to pay the repeater tax for such a season. Stretching him takes them under the luxury tax threshold and since this would've been their third season as taxpayers, they would've incurred the significantly harsher tax.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

They had to stretch his salary in order to get under the luxury tax line this year.  Carrying 5.5mil for the next 5 years is minimal impact considering the cap is expected to jump 20mil each of the next two seasons.