Author Topic: Deron Williams negotiating release to play with Dallas, consequences for Celtics' picks [Merged]  (Read 41467 times)

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/06/report-a-trade-market-for-deron-williams-would-hometown-mavericks-be-interested.html/

I'm starting to see some chatter about it and I'm concerned. Not only would it all but guarantee that the Mavs finish in the Bottom 7, it would also put the Nets in position to be better, instantly, and to have cap-space as early as next offseason putting all of picks in jeopardy of falling.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: How bad would D-Will to the Mavs screw the Celtics!??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 01:56:19 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Are you suggesting that if the Mavs acquire Deron Williams they will be bad enough to end up in the bottom 7, and that the Nets will improve?

D-Will is a ghost of what he once was -- he's now not a far cry from Jameer Nelson -- but I don't think he makes teams worse.  Dallas would be anchored more toward the middle if they could get him without giving up very much.  Still not very good, but not likely to fall into the bottom 7 unless he and Dirk are both injured for long stretches.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 01:59:09 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Right? I think you mean the opposite? Would likely improve the BKN pick...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 02:02:35 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Are you suggesting that if the Mavs acquire Deron Williams they will be bad enough to end up in the bottom 7, and that the Nets will improve?

I'm exaggerating D-Will's declining skill-set. I don't think he would make much of a difference in Dallas, though, and I think this trade would unchain the Net's financial situation.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 02:03:49 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
That would be a good move for us. We want the BKLN pick to drop to the front of the draft since there are no protections on it. D-Will might not be worth his contract, but he was contributing positively in the playoffs. He would also make it harder for the Mavs to end up bottom 7.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 02:07:11 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I'm exaggerating D-Will's declining skill-set. I don't think he would make much of a difference in Dallas, though, and I think this trade would unchain the Net's financial situation.
With his large contract, what else would be involved in a trade to make Dallas willing to do it? No team would take D-Will for nothing. With his contract, they will need sweeteners. They will either want picks, which the Nets don't have, or to unload their own contracts. If neither of those are an option, they will want other talent added.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 02:07:32 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
The 2017 pick is just as important if not more important because it's a stronger draft class. The Celtics want D-Will in BKN this time next year to ensure that the Nets don't regain the ability to improve through free agency.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 02:13:29 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

With his large contract, what else would be involved in a trade to make Dallas willing to do it? No team would take D-Will for nothing. With his contract, they will need sweeteners. They will either want picks, which the Nets don't have, or to unload their own contracts. If neither of those are an option, they will want other talent added.

D-Will is from Dallas and the Mavs went after him hard 3 years ago. It might not take much more than the Mavs asking the Nets to take on Felton. At this point, if you're Dallas, taking a shot a D-Will and hoping he regains his old form might be worth it. He's only on the books for 2 more years and he's aligned to expire with Parsons and Dirk. Plus, what else is out there?

Nets and Deron Williams discussing his release
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 02:52:23 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
front page of espn right now.  looks to be a real possibility so he can sign free and clear with the Mavs. interesting to say the least.  sad to say the Nets looked better last year with him on the sideline and replaced by Jack in the starting lineup as is.  obviously would impact our team on multiple fronts in that the odds of that Mavs pick being outside the top 7 rise, and who knows what happens to that Nets pick (nevermind the future Nets picks) as i can see the argument both that they're better and worse without him.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 02:52:39 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
BKN gets worse and Mavs don't get good enough to get out of the back end of the lottery. Win-win for Cs. BKN would be getting out of cap hell before 2017 season anyhow with Joe Johnson expiring this upcoming season. OTOH, they're not going to be a very attractive destination with little chance at contending especialluy with Billy King as GM.

Anyway, ESPN has the story now:

Deron Williams pursuing avenues into free agency to join hometown Mavs

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13231321/deron-williams-brooklyn-nets-talks-secure-williams-release

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 03:03:14 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
D-Will would be an upgrade for them over Rondo seeing as he can actually shoot. 

Re: Nets and Deron Williams discussing his release
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 03:05:05 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Dirk
Parsons
Wes Mathews
D Will

is a decent core four.

Need some serious role players though, but they have the coach who'd be perfect for Deron, and it's his home town.
Good gamble for the Mavs while Dirk gets ready to be sent off to the glue factory.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 03:05:06 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
This may be bad for the 2017 and 2018 picks, but 2016 is looking better.

Re: Nets and Deron Williams discussing his release
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 03:09:48 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
funny Brooklyn fan's reaction to D Will getting a possible buyout...on real gm thread....

MrDollarBills wrote:

no.

NO!!!!!!!!!

Don't give him ****. A buyout? and a stretch???

Now out of spite, I WANT the **** t to stay.

Play our your contract. Let Lionel run him 36+ a night until his ankles SNAP. Clean in HALF!!! **** him, he's a piece of **** coward

**** this dude man. Now I understand why King didn't want to stretch him.

Run him to **** ing death on the court until he goes down.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 03:18:44 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Wow. The message boards, including Celticslog, had this one before it was a real story. Pretty neat.