Author Topic: What about trading Young for Harkless?  (Read 4396 times)

Re: What about trading Young for Harkless?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 09:06:18 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Moe Harkless is what Young will be if he still hasn't developed after 2 more years. He's going into his 4th year and has zero clue how to play in the NBA. Why would you trade Young for his own worst case scenario who makes more money, and will be a RFA this summer?
Worst case scenario Young is out of the league in 2 years.

Well ok, then worst case scenario he's abducted by aliens tomorrow.

Point is, if he's in the same spot as Harkless in 2 years from now, it would mean he had made little or no progress.

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Moe Harkless is what Young will be if he still hasn't developed after 2 more years. He's going into his 4th year and has zero clue how to play in the NBA. Why would you trade Young for his own worst case scenario who makes more money, and will be a RFA this summer?

Point is, if he's in the same spot as Harkless in 2 years from now, it would mean he had made little or no progress.

I would take Harkless for Young in a nano second.

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 09:19:34 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think it's ridiculous to give up on the guy after one year where he barely even saw game action.

And no, these summer league games don't count for anything to me.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 09:31:55 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I like Harkless but he is up for a new contract after this upcoming season. Young is cost controlled for 3 more years after this one. That makes young more valuable.

Young was one of the youngest players in his class when he came out. The C's had to make this pick knowing that we might not get anything out of him until the end of his rookie deal.

Chances are the Magic aren't going to keep Harkless after this year so we could just get him in free agency next year without giving up Young.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 09:40:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think Young's value is being wildly overestimated here.
James Young is only one year into his career. He was one of the youngest in his draft class. He wasn't expected to play minutes right away. His value shouldn't have changed much from where it was a year ago when the 2014 draft happened. The summer league has been bad but it's still very early. I don't think it'll hurt him much.

If James Young struggles to play again next season, I think his value will drop quick and fast. At that point, he'll be in a similar boat as Moe Harkless ... but not after one season.

Moe Harkless on the other hand is entering his 4th season and was dropped out of the rotation for most of last year. His trade value should be lower than a 1st year guy struggling for playing time.

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 09:44:55 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I like Harkless but he is up for a new contract after this upcoming season. Young is cost controlled for 3 more years after this one. That makes young more valuable.

Young was one of the youngest players in his class when he came out. The C's had to make this pick knowing that we might not get anything out of him until the end of his rookie deal.

Chances are the Magic aren't going to keep Harkless after this year so we could just get him in free agency next year without giving up Young.

Even though Young is cost controlled for 3 more years - if he can't play - who cares?

Yeah we can pick up lots of players in free agency next year just like we did this year. At least after a player plays in Boston and finds out how good the city and fans really are you have a much better shot at re-signing a player as opposed to players from the outside wanting to come as a free agent.

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 10:44:55 AM »

Offline Dedalus

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
I'm a fan of James Young. But he's playing like garbage. Stop landing off balance on your right heel, James. Also he'd better be pretty injured to not return last night, and miss even more time.

Young's like the little sibling that we have to be kind to because, he could be a nice guy but he's not old enough to determine if he's a jerk yet. Meanwhile, little Jimmy's out laughing to his friends about how he manipulates his parents. Hear me, and hear me well, James: man the F up or leave.

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 10:51:46 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Kedrick brown looked way more impressive than Young does right now.

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 01:00:16 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I can hardly imagine what posters here would think of Harkless if he was on the Cs. He was beyond useless last year, his 3rd in the league. He doesn't have a single above average skill other than athleticism.

In 201 games over 3 years, Harkless gives you:

23 minutes
6.8 points
3.5 rebounds
45% FG
31% 3PT
58% FT

... more turnovers than assists
... shot 43% on layups
... lousy defender

Yeah Young looks bad, but why would you trade ANY 19 year-old 1st round prospect for that after 1 year?

Heck, even Young had a higher PER than Harkless last year.

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 05:55:32 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Harkless is much better than Young right now. Young is not good enough to play in the NBA yet. I hope he will be someday, but today is not that day.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out