Author Topic: rework the Lee trade into a 3 way for melo?  (Read 3944 times)

rework the Lee trade into a 3 way for melo?
« on: July 09, 2015, 10:29:24 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Ok, I think right now we are 7 mil under the cap. So the Lee Wallace trade be expanded where Wallace still goes to GSW, Lee goes to NYK and Melo comes here. Obviously we would be adding picks, but this deal would save them a ton of money. They would only have to pay Lee his 15 mil for 1 year. I don't know what NY wants to do but from a financial perspective this would be a great option for them, they might not be able to do better later. How many picks would we have to give?

Re: rework the Lee trade into a 3 way for melo?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:35:22 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Melo can't play in Brads system. I don't want him anyway. Give me Lee. 

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:49:49 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Knicks aren't tanking when they owe Toronto their pick and when the cap will rise next summer. Melo's staying put.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 02:06:02 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
How about theres more of a possibility hell freezes over than the knicks take david lee and late 1st round picks for Carmelo Anthony.  I can't even begin to understand why you would assume this is at all possible.  Salary dumping david lee and salary dumping carmelo anthony isn't even in the same universe as one another. 

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 02:10:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Knicks are solid this year.  Should be a playoff team from what I see.   I don't see them moving him.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
I'd be down for it, but I don't see Melo (read "Lala") waiving his no-trade clause to go anywhere but LA.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 02:17:05 PM »

Offline TheSlipperyWhistle

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Melo seems kind of hobbled to me. Not just this year with "the knee", but in general, the past couple of years. I mean hes still elite, but we need elite on the come up, not elite on the down-slope. Are we winning a championship in the next 2-3 years? I don't think so, and I don't think obtaining Carmelo would change that fact. 

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 02:17:40 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
Gotta also agree with LarRBrd; Knicks are a playoff team.  A playoff team with no encouragement to tank because they dont hold there current or future draft pick.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 02:19:36 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Gotta also agree with LarRBrd; Knicks are a playoff team.  A playoff team with no encouragement to tank because they dont hold there current or future draft pick.

I disagree, but the more teams that pass the Nets the better.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

The Knicks have a solid starting center and addressed the missing shooting guard positoon with Affalo, who had a shaky season, but could definitely bounce out.

The Knicks just need a competent PF and PG, but they are definitely at least a playoff team.

Do I think Melo would be traded? Yes, if Affalo doesn't pan out, and Lopez just absolutely does horrendously. Jackson might try to cut his losses early, and maybe see if the Celtics would take on Lopez and Melo with our un-guaranteed contracts/picks.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 02:25:13 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Knicks are solid this year.  Should be a playoff team from what I see. 

how do you figure Robin Lopez, Aaron Afflalo & the European rookie making the Knicks 25 wins better?  Or is Derrick Williams the difference maker? 

I see the Celtics as a much better team than NY this year.  Coach/System/backcourt/defense all better in Boston.  What do you see in the NY that I'm missing? 

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Knicks are solid this year.  Should be a playoff team from what I see. 

how do you figure Robin Lopez, Aaron Afflalo & the European rookie making the Knicks 25 wins better?  Or is Derrick Williams the difference maker? 

I see the Celtics as a much better team than NY this year.  Coach/System/backcourt/defense all better in Boston.  What do you see in the NY that I'm missing?

The Knicks are going to make the playoffs. The Celtics are a better team, because we have far more depth, and a better coach. But NY can still make it in the east as a 8th or 7th seed if everything pans out. If not, expect Melo to be on the trade block this years trade deadline or the year after.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 10:54:02 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123

The Knicks have a solid starting center and addressed the missing shooting guard positoon with Affalo, who had a shaky season, but could definitely bounce out.

The Knicks just need a competent PF and PG, but they are definitely at least a playoff team.

Do I think Melo would be traded? Yes, if Affalo doesn't pan out, and Lopez just absolutely does horrendously. Jackson might try to cut his losses early, and maybe see if the Celtics would take on Lopez and Melo with our un-guaranteed contracts/picks.

But, with the cap space we can give a better deal now. I do agree that the most likely thing is NY goes into the season and at least trys to win games. But what if Phil is antcy about Melo and they length of his contract and Danny calls with a very high offer but it expires very soon as the Lee trade needs to be finalized. What if Danny says of all our picks, rookies(though not sure we can trade them right now, can someone clairify) and Turner, KO, Sully and Young you can pick 5 (or 6, or 7) and make whatever trade you want for Melo. I have no idea what a high offer would be or what a fair offer would be but I think we could make both. Phil probably thinks between his draw and the NY's draw he can get any stars he wants.

If you think getting melo is silly then who can we get this year?

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 11:15:57 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I wouldn't want to take on his contract. He is hobbled as is, and add 4 more years on top of that.

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 10:53:16 PM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Knicks are solid this year.  Should be a playoff team from what I see.   I don't see them moving him.

And would I be right in assuming you still see the Celtics as a non playoff team?