Author Topic: Summer League Game 3 Grades  (Read 14000 times)

Re: Summer League Game 3 Grades
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2015, 11:15:09 AM »

Offline InBradWeTrust

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
I liked how Hunter moved without the ball and found the open spots. I also like how he was aggressively calling for the ball - definitely had the shooters mind set out there.

All of his shots were spot up shots, catch and shoot - and he nailed those.

I do think his ball handling looks suspect. Several times after pulling in a rebound or getting a quick pass in the back court he had the ball tipped from his dribble and just looked uncomfortable with the ball in his hands  if not going right up for the shot.

Smart was fantastic - if you haven't watched that block - it's worth the view, just a great hustle, athletic, and defensive play.

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Young's issues have nothing to do with talent. It is reasonable to call out individuals that are writing him off at his early age, but from an observational standpoint he seems to be lacking the mental make-up to be a solid NBA player. That is an issue that is very difficult, if at all possible, to correct. I think it's hard to argue otherwise.

what a load of horse****.
Hasn't James Young been a complete non-factor so far in Summer league?  That's an awful sign, honestly.  On this level of competition, he shouldn't be struggling like this... especially in year 2 when guys typically show progress.

Aaron Gordon averaged like 8 points and 5 rebounds last year in Summer league.  A year later and he's just destroying everyone... 21.7 points, 11.7 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.7 blocks, 1.3 steals in three games.   James young is a month older than Gordon.  He obviously isn't the same level of prospect, but we should reasonably expect more than 7.3 points on 23% shooting from the kid...  On this level, that's a disaster.  Awful news.  He's being outplayed by guys who will likely never play a minute in the NBA... like Brock Motum and Treveon Graham.   Young's trade value is taking a hit.

Several times you have lauded Aaron Gordon's summer league performance in breaking out terms, yet for Smart, you appear sarcastic, and discount it as just summer league, nothing to get excited about.  I agree with many of your posts, but feel you are inconsistent in how you measure improved summer league play between a Celtic and non-Celtic player. My impression is that you are generally more critical of Celtic players.   

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2015, 11:38:37 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'd also throw this idea out there: how much does it mean that someone can "dominate" summer league ball if those aren't the skill sets that will be asked of them in the NBA?

What I mean is this: most players in the summer league are going to be NBA role players, at least next year (if they make it at all). They aren't going to be given the ball and asked to create offense. They're going to be asked to stand in a corner and wait for an open shot or to come off the bench for 3 minute spurts and provide energy.

This is why I think we see misleading summer league performances. And this is a very real problem. Just think back to how Ray Allen went through growing pains when he first came here and was being turned from the primary ball handler in Seattle to a catch and shoot of screens threat here.

So for that reason not only would I not read much into anyone's performance, I do hold out hope that while James Young may never be an All Star, he may end up figuring out how to be a good role playing wing who can knock down some open looks.

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2015, 11:42:04 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Hunter spaced nicely--- amazing how wide open he was.

His jump shot looks like a chest pass, though. How on earth is he going to get that off against an nba defender?

He is good at running around screens.  Also will demand attention from his man(who wont be able to leave him). If he does, you have to make him pay and locate Hunter on a drive and kick

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2015, 11:42:29 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
This is why I think we see misleading summer league performances. And this is a very real problem. Just think back to how Ray Allen went through growing pains when he first came here and was being turned from the primary ball handler in Seattle to a catch and shoot of screens threat here.

I don't ever remember Ray Allen being the primary ball handler.

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2015, 12:23:03 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
where is Eddie20 tonight?

I want to hear his analysis about Mickey's rebounding and overall game. 

Not only bashing him when he faces Cooley that is 20 pounds heavier, has 2 years of non college experience and is really a center. Or against the #3 pick of the draft (again 30 pounds heavier)

Here's actually what I wrote during the thread.

Smart looking great.

Hunter is getting conformable.

I like the way Rozier looks too. Is he a true PG? No, but what an athlete! Reminds me of Dennis Schroder in body type and athleticism.

Mickey showing a lot more fight. Great run and finish in transition. That's the motor that you just don't see from him consistently.

When it comes to Mickey I find myself pretty objective, which is something you can't echo. I also didn't criticize him for how he did on Okafor, since he was on Aldemer the majority of the time. I did question his performance against marginal talent such as Cooley and Aldemer, and deservedly so. Is he a good rebounder? No. Is he undersized? Yes. Does he display consistent energy? No. Is he the "physically strong/rim protector/athletic monster" you described? Obviously not. However, he's on our team now and the only thing we can do is cheer him on, but not be blinded in failing to acknowledge his many shortcomings.

Hey, at least you stopped posting highlights of that one game vs Kentucky. You alone made that video go viral.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Cooley just out-hustled Okafor. Sure, Cooley is coming out of no where, but he's playing everyone tough.

Yeah, I saw that.  Cooley has been a load, pushing everyone around this week.  I'm struggling to rationalize his listed measurements (6' 9", 244) with how 'big' he is playing (though now I see that his Nets workout in 2013 had him at a legit 6' 10" & 249 and he's probably over 250 now). 

He's an older player, 24 years old.  Clearly fighting like hell to get on somebody's radar to crack an NBA roster.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2015, 12:32:37 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I don't ever remember Ray Allen being the primary ball handler.

Ray handled the ball a LOT more in Milwaukee and Seattle, before coming to Boston.  Especially in Seattle.   In Seattle, he typically assisted 19.9% of all his teammates shots while on the floor.  In Boston, that number dropped to just 12.9%.   His assists per 100 possessions rate dropped from 5.7 down to 4.1.

That change in role was apparently one of the things that grated on him while he was here.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.