Author Topic: Summer League Game 3 Grades  (Read 13997 times)

Re: Summer League Game 3 Grades
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 02:05:21 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Young's issues have nothing to do with talent. It is reasonable to call out individuals that are writing him off at his early age, but from an observational standpoint he seems to be lacking the mental make-up to be a solid NBA player. That is an issue that is very difficult, if at all possible, to correct. I think it's hard to argue otherwise.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 02:23:10 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Young's issues have nothing to do with talent. It is reasonable to call out individuals that are writing him off at his early age, but from an observational standpoint he seems to be lacking the mental make-up to be a solid NBA player. That is an issue that is very difficult, if at all possible, to correct. I think it's hard to argue otherwise.

what a load of horseEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 02:24:19 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Share your thoughts...? I honestly hope you can prove me wrong.

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 02:28:26 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

what a load of horse****.
Hasn't James Young been a complete non-factor so far in Summer league?  That's an awful sign, honestly.  On this level of competition, he shouldn't be struggling like this... especially in year 2 when guys typically show progress.

Aaron Gordon averaged like 8 points and 5 rebounds last year in Summer league.  A year later and he's just destroying everyone... 21.7 points, 11.7 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.7 blocks, 1.3 steals in three games.   James young is a month older than Gordon.  He obviously isn't the same level of prospect, but we should reasonably expect more than 7.3 points on 23% shooting from the kid...  On this level, that's a disaster.  Awful news.  He's being outplayed by guys who will likely never play a minute in the NBA... like Brock Motum and Treveon Graham.   Young's trade value is taking a hit.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:39:10 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 02:41:03 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

LOL! TP

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 03:13:27 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

LOL! TP

I mean I get it's funny.. but in a Nate-Rob/Delontae/Sheed type of way.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:26:34 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 03:22:22 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I'll bet you 50 TPs (literally) he never breaks 20 min/game for the Cs. You can choose to ante up whenever you'd like... 2020 is fine by me. Should give the kid/you sufficient time to figure out life, no?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:35:31 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2015, 05:12:34 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2015, 05:44:44 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Excellent!  Our SL squad is better than the Spurs SL squad!  Brad Stevens and DA declare Check and Mate!   ;D

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2015, 05:51:01 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Hunter looked like a little Kevin Martin out there and Rozier showed potential. Smart was efficient and relentless he's gonna shock a bunch of people this year.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2015, 06:11:33 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
where is Eddie20 tonight?

I want to hear his analysis about Mickey's rebounding and overall game. 

Not only bashing him when he faces Cooley that is 20 pounds heavier, has 2 years of non college experience and is really a center. Or against the #3 pick of the draft (again 30 pounds heavier)

Here's actually what I wrote during the thread.

Smart looking great.

Hunter is getting conformable.

I like the way Rozier looks too. Is he a true PG? No, but what an athlete! Reminds me of Dennis Schroder in body type and athleticism.

Mickey showing a lot more fight. Great run and finish in transition. That's the motor that you just don't see from him consistently.

When it comes to Mickey I find myself pretty objective, which is something you can't echo. I also didn't criticize him for how he did on Okafor, since he was on Aldemer the majority of the time. I did question his performance against marginal talent such as Cooley and Aldemer, and deservedly so. Is he a good rebounder? No. Is he undersized? Yes. Does he display consistent energy? No. Is he the "physically strong/rim protector/athletic monster" you described? Obviously not. However, he's on our team now and the only thing we can do is cheer him on, but not be blinded in failing to acknowledge his many shortcomings.

Hey, at least you stopped posting highlights of that one game vs Kentucky. You alone made that video go viral.

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2015, 07:10:07 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Firstly thanks for the analysis and video, TPs to a number of posters. Without getting carried away (one good game of summer league) it is good to see the potential being shown and how well Smart has taken to being a leader. Rozier seems very quick and a good judge of when to take someone on or pass.

I thought that Young started to show something when he was called back from the Red Claws towards the end of last season. He seemed more comfortable and was hitting shots. He should be given the benefit of a bit more time. It is concerning that many observers feel he doesn't have the drive/mentality required for the NBA.

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2015, 07:44:25 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
where is Eddie20 tonight?

I want to hear his analysis about Mickey's rebounding and overall game. 

Not only bashing him when he faces Cooley that is 20 pounds heavier, has 2 years of non college experience and is really a center. Or against the #3 pick of the draft (again 30 pounds heavier)

Here's actually what I wrote during the thread.

Smart looking great.

Hunter is getting conformable.

I like the way Rozier looks too. Is he a true PG? No, but what an athlete! Reminds me of Dennis Schroder in body type and athleticism.

Mickey showing a lot more fight. Great run and finish in transition. That's the motor that you just don't see from him consistently.

When it comes to Mickey I find myself pretty objective, which is something you can't echo. I also didn't criticize him for how he did on Okafor, since he was on Aldemer the majority of the time. I did question his performance against marginal talent such as Cooley and Aldemer, and deservedly so. Is he a good rebounder? No. Is he undersized? Yes. Does he display consistent energy? No. Is he the "physically strong/rim protector/athletic monster" you described? Obviously not. However, he's on our team now and the only thing we can do is cheer him on, but not be blinded in failing to acknowledge his many shortcomings.

Hey, at least you stopped posting highlights of that one game vs Kentucky. You alone made that video go viral.

This consistent energy talk is nonsense.  He does not have to "leon powe" it on the court.  Look at your boy Alexander with all that energy, grunting, bicept showing display and then look at his overall performance/stats. Mickey is outplaying him

Mickey approach like I have stated is similar to Bosh.  Methodical but responsible. Mickey got burnt by his man, only a total of 2 times last night. He just needs to add 10 pounds of strength , and with experience will be a nba rebounder off the bench

Utah Summer League Day 3: Studs and Duds
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2015, 07:48:59 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/utah-summer-league-day-3-studs-and-duds/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Studs

Marcus Smart, Boston Celtics:

Smart returned with a vengeance Thursday after sitting out Tuesday night for rest. He was the best player on the floor by a Grand Canyon-sized margin, completely controlling the play on both ends of the floor. His final stat line was an impressive 22 points, 7 assists and 4 rebounds along with 3 steals and a block on 9-14 shooting, and it’s possible this line actually understated his overall impact on the game.

What has to be encouraging for Celtics fans isn’t the value Smart is providing, but rather the ways in which he’s doing so. He’s appeared to significantly improve areas he struggled with in his rookie year, most notably his finishing around the basket and his ability to draw fouls. The Celtics have unleashed him as their lead ball-handler this summer and he’s responded about as positively as they could have hoped. He should go into Vegas summer league (if he plays) and even the NBA regular season with a ton of confidence.

Terry Rozier/R.J. Hunter, Boston Celtics:

It’s been an up and down week for Celtics guards on our studs and duds list, but they finished their time in Utah off on a very positive note. Rozier only finished 5-13 on the night, but flashed some of the first aggression and strong play we’ve seen from him since being drafted. He racked up seven dimes and went 2-3 from three-point range, plus sank all four of his free-throw attempts. More importantly, though, he looked much more in tune with the game than he had been in Boston’s first two contests.

Hunter entered Thursday with precisely zero points in his first two games combined, but quickly found his rhythm against San Antonio. He went an impressive 4-4 from deep and 6-6 from the free-throw line on his way to 18 points, and seemed comfortable for the first time all week. His defense was also noticeable on a couple occasions, including some excellent rotations and smart positioning away from the ball.

Chris Johnson, Utah Jazz

This is in part a cumulative mention, as Thursday may have actually been Johnson’s weakest statistical performance despite it still being a good showing. But as a guy who’s right on the fringe of making or not making Utah’s roster for the 15-16 regular season, Johnson has been very impressive during their three games so far this summer.

He’s active defensively, filling passing lanes with deceptive speed – he added three more steals against the 76ers tonight. He’s been able to create off the dribble more effectively with some good slashing, and most importantly has re-worked his shot over the offseason and looks far more confident and accurate from deep range. This was the primary concern with Johnson previously, and if the changes are sustainable long-term, he could be in the process of earning himself an NBA roster spot permanently.

Duds

Kyle Anderson, San Antonio Spurs

Anderson has been completely all over the map here in Utah. He was on our duds list Monday after a lackluster performance against the 76ers, then did a 180 and found himself a stud after a dominating showing against the Jazz Tuesday night where he looked completely in control of the floor offensively.

It was back to the cellar for Anderson Thursday night in San Antonio’s loss to Boston. The Celtics clearly did their homework and wouldn’t bite on his array of fakes and jabs, instead daring him to fire away on longer jumpers that he didn’t seem comfortable taking. He finished an ugly 2-12 from the field with six turnovers to boot, looking visibly frustrated at times. He continues to be a really intriguing thought exercise as an NBA player, one it’s very tough to put a finger on at this point.

Jahlil Okafor, Philadelphia 76ers

Okafor begin Utah Summer League in strong fashion Monday, but has posted two generally lackluster performances since given his expectations and the level of competition. On Thursday he was thoroughly outworked by unheralded Utah hustle man Jack Cooley, who seemed to beat him to every loose ball or rebound and swiped a vital steal with seconds left in regulation of a tie game to send things to overtime.

That was Okafor’s fifth turnover of the game, and he’d finish with six. His stat line wasn’t horrible by any means, but for a player with his skill level, particularly against a Jazz team without a single player even close to his strength, he seemed pretty uninspiring. The Jazz were able to force the ball out of his hands frequently, and in many cases he made only a token effort to establish deep post position. Okafor is a supremely talented player, but he has a lot of work to do to become a consistent guy at this level of play.

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2015, 07:49:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Btw glad to read an objective analysis.  Mickey has done more good than bad overall so far. Has outperformed many 2nd round picks and even some 1st picks.

This was a good pick