Author Topic: Summer League Game 3 Grades  (Read 14006 times)

Re: Summer League Game 3 Grades
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 09:55:37 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
What type of injury did Young get? Was it serious or minor?

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 09:58:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If the Celtics traded Young, I wouldn't be sad. :-\

It'd depend on the return.  If it felt kinda like they were just dumping him, I'd feel like it was an acknowledgement that it was a bad pick.

I'm really wishing Ainge had taken Hood or Capela there at #18, two guys I liked better at the time.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 10:01:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

mental injury

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
where is Eddie20 tonight?

I want to hear his analysis about Mickey's rebounding and overall game. 

Not only bashing him when he faces Cooley that is 20 pounds heavier, has 2 years of non college experience and is really a center. Or against the #3 pick of the draft (again 30 pounds heavier)

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 11:50:51 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We played much better after Young got hurt.

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 12:06:40 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Hurt his hip. Don't know if it is major or minor yet.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 12:20:51 AM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Marcus currently has the lead in Summer league in both points, assists, and steals by averaging 24 pts 7.5 asts and 2.5 stls per game!! In Utah only for the steals but he is leading in points and assists in both Utah and Orlando.

Hopefully he can carry this into Las Vegas and everyone should check out the Laker/ Timberwolves game tomorrow to get a look at Robert Upshaw vs Karl Anthony Towns.

WE NEED A CENTER AND UPSHAW COULD BE THE GUY!  :D

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 12:41:31 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Waited to check in on these threads until I had a chance to watch the game.

Wow!  That was 180 degrees from the debacle against Philly!

Smart was brilliant tonight.  Way better than the first game because in this game he really seemed to engage the whole team (In Game 1, I thought he mostly seemed to be running on ahead of the team and playing by himself).  This was, to me, much more of a 'leadership' game for Smart.  I really loved what I saw from him - better than anything we got to see all season, standing around waiting for someone to pass him the ball.  Instead, he was _leading_ this squad in every way.  If this is the Marcus Smart who shows up in Waltham, and then on the Garden parquet, he is going to be awesome to watch.

Rozier is becoming exactly who I think Danny and Brad wanted him to be.  Explosive.  Smooth.  So fast.  Definitely is going to be an NBA player.  That's the first level check you want any draft pick to exceed and I think any concern that Danny got a bust out of the #16 pick should be in the rear view mirror.  As Isaiah said in the interview during the game, Rozier has elite NBA speed - and that's going to be why he's going to succeed.  His shooting stroke also looked very smooth.

Hunter: Well, I knew it was coming at some point.  He was bound to shake off the rust & the jitters and just shoot.  And man, can he get it up in the air.  Anybody else have a little Ray Allen goosebumps on that 4th three point bomb, the way he got the pass and just exploded up with the shot, from what?  6 feet outside the arc?  Nothing but net.   I think he is going to be fine now that his shot is falling.   The rest of his game has actually been pretty solid all along.  He really knows where to be on the court and he plays a lot longer than I expected.  Could use a tighter handle.

Mickey is the only other guy who I thought looked like a future NBA player.  I thought he looked a lot more confident in the paint tonight.  Had a good overall hustle game and obviously rebounded better without having to fight with a 260 lb behemoth for a change.  I can't get over how long his arms are.  He needs to put on some muscle, but he looks like he will be a pretty good NBA player.   His build and the way he plays taller than he is reminds me of (younger) Joel Anthony, but with a nicer shooting touch.

I did think Holmes, Buckner & ONeal all played well, but clearly a notch down from the guys up above.

I hope we can get to see Marcus Thornton for more minutes in one of the next few games.  It's impossible to assess him right now, on less than two minutes of play.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 01:03:27 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
All I know is that if Rozier can become a starter, Hunter a good backup and Mickey a rotation NBA player, then Danny ought to be worshipped.

To come out with three guys worthy of NBA playing time with a #16, #28 and #33 pick is impressive scouting.

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 01:06:58 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
All I know is that if Rozier can become a starter, Hunter a good backup and Mickey a rotation NBA player, then Danny ought to be worshipped.

To come out with three guys worthy of NBA playing time with a #16, #28 and #33 pick is impressive scouting.

If one of those happens, it should be considered a good draft. The best part is that I don't think any of these scenarios are out of the question.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 01:25:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Hunter and Rozier are older than Young and have more true game experience they should be mentally and skill wise ahead of Young. Young is probably off to D-league this year but he isn't done as a good prospect. He has plenty of tools and potential still.

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 01:26:17 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Giving Young an F is absurd. He only played a few minutes. Could see he was intent on tring to make plays. He threw up one bad shot and may have been fouled. Let's show a little patience. He and Hunter need to learn how to move to get open for their 3's, like Ray Allen, the master. It takes years to get to that level. Patience.

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 01:33:49 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Very encouraging signs from Marcus Smart.   Great to see him making a major impact in his two games.   He's well on his way to being a summer league all-star. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:41:57 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 01:52:42 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Very encouraging signs from Marcus Smart.   Great to see him making a major impact in his two games.   He's well on his way to being a summer league all-star.

Not sure what it means for how he'll perform against NBA teams when the games matter, but it is very good to see him leveraging his superior strength against inferior competition.  He should dominate at this level, and so far he is.

Hunter can really shoot, which is good to see.  Seems like he's probably streaky, though.  Hopefully he'll improve that.  Seems like he has good instincts.

Young, on the other hand, can't shoot to save his life this week.  We know he can shoot because he shot the lights out in the D-League.  It seems he has a rough time getting open and generally speaking doesn't seem to really know how to play team basketball.  That's what one year at the Calipari Academy will get you. 

Terry Rozier looks like an NBA player, as mmmmm says, which is good to see, but not surprising.  We know Danny can pick NBA caliber players -- especially defense-first combo guards -- in the mid to late 1st round, and even in the second round.  Will Rozier ever be more than a bit player?  Will he get to find out while he's still on the Celtics?  Those are my questions.

I sure hope Danny saw more than just role player potential in Rozier, because for my money spending a 1st round pick on a role player at the point makes little sense these days given the depth at the position.  We've seen a lot of very good point guards selected in the late lottery through the late 1st in recent years, so hopefully Rozier will end up part of that crowd. 

Looks like he can actually run the pick and roll and attack the paint a little, which should help him shrug off the Avery Bradley comparisons, which aren't especially flattering when you're talking about a point guard prospect.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2015, 01:57:14 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Giving Young an F is absurd. He only played a few minutes. Could see he was intent on tring to make plays. He threw up one bad shot and may have been fouled. Let's show a little patience. He and Hunter need to learn how to move to get open for their 3's, like Ray Allen, the master. It takes years to get to that level. Patience.
Agreed. I know he was 0-4, but I actually liked how Young played today. Much more active and aggressive. Outcome wasn't there, but better than games 1 and 2 I thought.