Author Topic: Trade Ideas: Harrison Barnes and John Henson  (Read 10500 times)

Re: Trade Ideas: Harrison Barnes and John Henson
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2015, 11:21:59 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The only way you could honestly see them as better than who's available with the Nets pick is if you're under the impression that mess of a team will make the playoffs.  Even if Brooklyn only provided a pick from 7-10, I'd still take that over either of those players.

You are statistically much more likely to draft the next Jeff Green, Harrison Barnes, or John Henson than whomever you're expecting to luck into with that Nets pick.

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2015, 01:25:23 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
You stand a much better chance of drafting another Harrison Barnes or John Henson (or worse) with that Nets pick than someone better than those two.
The Nets pick will be top 5.  I'd be extremely disappointed if the player we got at that slot was only as good as either of those players. 

Barnes is an OK starter.  He's not at even Jeff Green's level and I'd honestly be surprised if he ever got there. 

Henson is a bench player.  Probably won't be much more than a 7th man on a good team.

The only way you could honestly see them as better than who's available with the Nets pick is if you're under the impression that mess of a team will make the playoffs.  Even if Brooklyn only provided a pick from 7-10, I'd still take that over either of those players.

Yeah, if that's what you get from a top 5 pick that's pretty depressing, but I guess it kinda depends on the draft class too.

In a class considered at the time as weak as the 2013 draft, I'm not sure if I wouldn't trade the 10th pick for Harrison Barnes. I think Barnes could develop a more well-rounded game with higher output in a different environment where he's not a third or fourth option. He's still young. What would you be willing to give up for him and what do you think it would take? I can't see them trading him unless they get a good offer that keeps them in the championship convo.

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 07:18:19 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

You are statistically much more likely to draft the next Jeff Green, Harrison Barnes, or John Henson than whomever you're expecting to luck into with that Nets pick.

And yet that player will still be:

(1) Younger
(2) Cheaper
(3) And the 1st round pick a far more attractive and trade-able asset until draft night

So even if you draft the next John Henson/Jeff Green/Harrison Barnes you're still way ahead in the deal than trading that pick for him.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 10:33:50 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
You stand a much better chance of drafting another Harrison Barnes or John Henson (or worse) with that Nets pick than someone better than those two.
The Nets pick will be top 5.  I'd be extremely disappointed if the player we got at that slot was only as good as either of those players. 

Barnes is an OK starter.  He's not at even Jeff Green's level and I'd honestly be surprised if he ever got there. 

Henson is a bench player.  Probably won't be much more than a 7th man on a good team.

Yeah, if that's what you get from a top 5 pick that's pretty depressing, but I guess it kinda depends on the draft class too.

In a class considered at the time as weak as the 2013 draft, I'm not sure if I wouldn't trade the 10th pick for Harrison Barnes. I think Barnes could develop a more well-rounded game with higher output in a different environment where he's not a third or fourth option. He's still young. What would you be willing to give up for him and what do you think it would take? I can't see them trading him unless they get a good offer that keeps them in the championship convo.
I agree, strength of the draft class plays a part as well as where you reasonably expect the pick to fall at the end of the season (without counting on lottery luck to get to the top 3).

Reasonably looking at the Nets this season:
- Everyone that finished ahead of them in the East last season figures to still finish ahead of them again this season.  That's 7 teams right there (including the C's).
- Miami and Indy are getting boosts from major players returning from injury and added via trades/free agency whereas the Nets really didn't.  Nets backslid if anything.  Figure 2 more teams ahead of Brooklyn so now they're pretty likely to be in the lottery than the playoffs.
- Charlotte and Detroit shuffled some players that may improve their team chemistry and as a result improve the play of their teams.  Each certainly underperformed last year and both attempted to get better this offseason, not worse.  I think it likely one or both will surpass Brooklyn. (I actually think both will)
- Knicks added some decent FAs and get Melo back.  They're certainly on the same level talent-wise than Brooklyn in not a little better since Prime, Healthy Melo is better than anyone on the Nets.
- Orlando has a nice young core that looked like they're developing in the summer league.  The could surprise and pass the Nets as well.

The only team in the East that I don't see having a chance to finish better than the Nets is Philly.    In the West, I think there's only a handful of teams that could finish worse than the Nets depending on team health and roster shake-ups -->Portland, LA, maybe Dallas if Cuban pushes for a tank to keep their pick (which I don't see happening), Minny if their youth movement bombs (but I expect the opposite where they'll come close to the playoffs) and Sac as a longshot --> better talent than the Nets and they're trying to win.

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2015, 11:02:16 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I would like Henson if the Bucks are swimming in bigs.  But what's a fair price to give up for Henson, would Zeller and pick(s) have to go back the other way?

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2015, 11:37:41 AM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
I would like Henson if the Bucks are swimming in bigs.  But what's a fair price to give up for Henson, would Zeller and pick(s) have to go back the other way?

why the F would you trade Zeller and picks for Henson when Zeller is already better then Henson?  Let's not sleep on Zeller here. 

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2015, 12:10:18 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

why the F would you trade Zeller and picks for Henson when Zeller is already better then Henson?  Let's not sleep on Zeller here.

Not sure how you can say Zeller is better than Henson. Zeller is a 7 ft center that cant even protect the rim. Zeller has no above average NBA skill

Henson on the other hand is athletic, mobile 7ft that protects the hell out of the rim. I would take Henson over Zeller any day

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2015, 12:11:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Not sure how you can say Zeller is better than Henson. Zeller is a 7 ft center that cant even protect the rim. Zeller has no above average NBA skill

Henson on the other hand is athletic, mobile 7ft that protects the hell out of the rim. I would take Henson over Zeller any day

Zubi post: no reference to the Cavs.
Whaaaaat.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2015, 12:56:32 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

Whaaaaat.

Maybe i have now suddenly become a bucks fan too!!! ::)

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 01:16:41 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Seems like a lot of people posting Nets pick is too high for me as well. Yet I'm still willing to pay a little high as I believe Barnes will be very good.

I'd do Turner, Sully, PJ3, C's and Dallas 1st for Barnes. Not giving up the Nets 2016 pick. That should be reasonable price for Barnes as it is two 1st and two top 10 rotation players.

Henson though is better off remaining with Bucks. He helps the Center rotation and matchups as he has different skills from Plum and Greg. Bigs get in foul trouble real easy and unpredictably. Having 3 capable Centers is a plus for them. As a playoff team you don't give up that advantage.

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Barnes, Zeller and Henson were underachievers at NC.  They did not win a title.

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2015, 06:06:21 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton

Zeller isn't KO when it comes to defending the rim. He's no Henson, but he's serviceable in that department. Rim Protecting is just about the only thing Henson does well. Athleticism helps in the NBA for sure, but it means very little if you don't have any NBA skills to match it with.

And Beyond his ability to run the floor and his good-great mid-range jump shot, Zeller is very good at running the P&R. Has great hands and a deft touch scoring around the rim on the dive. He has more NBA level skills then Henson does. Especially when the P&R is used on like 40-50% of possessions in the league.

They're both decent back-up 5's, and they have different strengths. Both could be very successful playing decent minutes on the right team. But I would say Zeller is better, and even of he's not, it's not like Henson is better by a mile. Lemme know when Henson develops a skill other than blocking shots and being athletic.

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2015, 06:39:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Whaaaaat.

TP Dos! To be fair after being called out a million times he actually started posting on a few other topics besides the cavs with posts that generally downgrade celtics players or call people idiots for proposing trades. They are frequently punctuated by his signature eye roll. 

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2015, 07:25:39 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
 I like Barnes and think he could be a very good player if he got the chance to develop as more of an offensive focal point. He's the kinda young guy who has both untapped potential and could possibly be available for the right price.

However, GS isn't going to trade him unless they get AT LEAST one good future asset, and a replacement for Barnes that still allows them to compete for a title this season. So Turner is out, he's too ball-dominant and his jump shot is too poor for that group.

Something like Crowder, Young, a lottery protected 2016 Boston pick and the Philly 2nd might work. Or Bradley, Jones III and the Dallas pick. Hate to lose Crowder to take a shot on Barnes though. Maybe Jerebko would work since he can play the 3-5 and shoots very well, assuming aight starts then.

I was much more interested in Henson last year before Mickey and Amir arrived.

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

Whaaaaat.

TP Dos! To be fair after being called out a million times he actually started posting on a few other topics besides the cavs with posts that generally downgrade celtics players or call people idiots for proposing trades. They are frequently punctuated by his signature eye roll.

So its gone from "he is a Cavs fan" to "he is always making comments disparaging Cs players"!!! Even though 90% of poster agree with my thoughts on those same players!!!PATHETIC as per usual but I guess I have come to expect nothing less from you!!!