Author Topic: Effect on Celtics 2016 1st rounder from The DJ-cision  (Read 6770 times)

Effect on Celtics 2016 1st rounder from The DJ-cision
« on: July 09, 2015, 01:59:31 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
The DJ-cision as I like to call it ( i came up with that one myself  8) ) has a massive impact on not only the Mavericks but also our 2016 first rounder owed from the Mavs as a result of the Rondo trade (which now looks like a fleecing) at the time I remember people criticising DA saying he should have got more for Rondo.

Will the pick convey? Let's have a look at the scenarios bearing in mind that the pick is top 7 protected until 2021.

Keep in mind that as a 50 win team they ended up with the 7 seed last year, they project to be significantly worse this season

For the pick not to convey in 2016

First of all its going to come down to ping pong balls, it looks almost certain that the Mavs will miss the playoffs in the loaded west.

Guaranteed playoff teams-

Houston, San Antonio, GSW, Memphis, OKC, Clips

Knocking on the door

New Orleans, Utah, Phoenix

Will be worse than Dallas or in the similar tier

Denver, Sacramento, Lakers, Minnesota, Blazers

Question is are Dallas likely to have a bad enough record, last year the Pistons picked 8th with a 30-52 record. Could Dallas sink that low?

Right now it looks like they could, their starting 5 right now is :

Free agent PG/Harris, Wes Matthews (coming off an injury that nobody has ever come back from fully, Parsons, Dirk, and Free Agent Center

Its a pretty shocking state of affairs, I keep reading that Dallas wants to reboot now, how could they do this?

In order to reboot they need to trade Parsons and/or Matthews, which is unlikely to happen.

Their best option is to ride out the season and tank, get a top 7 pick and try and lure 2 max free agents when the cap jumps next year.

What do you guys think happens with our pick?

As things stand without the Mavs making significant moves, do we wind up with this pick next year?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:47:20 AM by Rida »

Re: Effect on Celtics 2016 1st rounder from The DJ-cision
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 02:26:42 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wonder if Zeller to Mavs would take top 7 protection off the pick lol

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 02:43:01 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum

Zero chance of that happening, maybe Cuban goes after Hibbert or Lee now

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 03:12:57 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
The DJ-cision as I like to call it ( i came up with that one myself  8) ) has a massive impact on not only the Mavericks but also our 2016 first rounder owed from the Mavs as a result of the Rondo trade (which now looks like a fleecing) at the time I remember people criticising DA saying he should have got more for Rondo.

Will the pick convey? Let's have a look at the scenarios bearing in mind that the pick is top 7 protected until 2021.

Keep in mind that as a 50 win team they ended up with the 7 seed last year, they project to be significantly worse this season

For the pick not to convey in 2016

First of all its going to come down to ping pong balls, it looks almost certain that the Mavs will miss the playoffs in the loaded west.

Guaranteed playoff teams-

Houston, San Antonio, GSW, Memphis, OKC

Knocking on the door

New Orleans, Utah, Phoenix

Will be worse than Dallas or in the similar tier

Denver, Sacramento, Lakers, Minnesota, Blazers

Question is are Dallas likely to have a bad enough record, last year the Pistons picked 8th with a 30-52 record. Could Dallas sink that low?

Right now it looks like they could, their starting 5 right now is :

Free agent PG/Harris, Wes Matthews (coming off an injury that nobody has ever come back from fully, Parsons, Dirk, and Free Agent Center

Its a pretty shocking state of affairs, I keep reading that Dallas wants to reboot now, how could they do this?

In order to reboot they need to trade Parsons and/or Matthews, which is unlikely to happen.

Their best option is to ride out the season and tank, get a top 7 pick and try and lure 2 max free agents when the cap jumps next year.

What do you guys think happens with our pick?

As things stand without the Mavs making significant moves, do we wind up with this pick next year?

don't forget the clips will be guaranteed , that's 6 spots taken

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 03:31:56 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I am counting teams definitely worse than Dallas without DJ and they are not much.

The clearly worse:
- Philly
- Denver
- Lakers

Somewhat in the same boat:
-  Wolves
-  Portland
-  Orlando
-  Detroit

Then comes a big group of middle-dwellers (us, Indy, Nets, NYK, SAC, Utah) where teams can go both up and down.

Some tough decisions for Cuban, but I guess we will know which direction he will go very soon. They can get Seraphin, Jordan Hill, Hansbrough and Prince and try to roll for an year.

The other option is selling Parsons and convincing Dirk to retire or accept a trade and calling it a Philly.

To me Dirk is the key here. Dirk has been the face of this franchise for decades. If he wants to compete this year, Cuban will spend. If Dirk accepts the situation and either retires or accepts a trade, Mavs are tanking it.

It will not be that bad for us to not have this pick next year. We will most probably have 3 1st rounders and 4 2nd rounders. One 1st rounder an year or 2 later might actually be beneficial.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 03:49:15 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum

[/quote]

don't forget the clips will be guaranteed , that's 6 spots taken
[/quote]

Great point, missed that one, amended

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 05:32:39 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

Zero chance of that happening, maybe Cuban goes after Hibbert or Lee now

Interesting.... Dirk / Lee might be the worse front court defensively in nba. I think I would make that deal.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 05:36:30 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I definitely think Sacramento will be better than Dallas. The Kings added Cauley-Stein, Marco Belinelli, Kosta Koufos, and Rajon Rondo to a team that already included Cousins , Gay, Collison, and McLemore.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 05:58:27 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
I definitely think Sacramento will be better than Dallas. The Kings added Cauley-Stein, Marco Belinelli, Kosta Koufos, and Rajon Rondo to a team that already included Cousins , Gay, Collison, and McLemore.

That sounds like a cautionary tale, not an endorsement.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 07:03:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Dirk is to old for Cuban to tank much .  Dirk is no longer a star by stats .   He'll likely put up less next year ., and beyond...down hill

If Dirk is to really mean anything in terms of helping win , it needs to,be now not latter.

Mavs without DJ IMO are worse than the Celtics with David Lee and Amir.   Sully could be on a new track ......if the weight remains off.

Danny old be smart and see what Sully does after 15 games .

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 07:10:32 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Well the next couple of weeks should color the outlook for us.

Either Dallas can do something creative in free agency and salvage this roster, or they go into full tank mode.

Dallas understands. They either put a team on the floor that can contend in the west (would take a miracle now), or they completely tank. There is literally no motivation to do anything else.

I'm usually very hopeful, but if we are going to cash in on the Dallas pick in the 8-16 range, we might have to wait a couple of years.

Heck, they might move Dirk now. I would have said that was impossible before, but maybe Cuban sends Dirk to a contender...specifically a contender that will stand in the Clippers' way.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 07:19:23 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Considering our luck with the lottery, I fully expect Dallas to have the 8th worst record and to win a top 3 pick.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 08:06:37 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
There wouldn't appear to be any moves left to make that would make going for a playoff spot worth it, so the Mavs should be thinking about tanking this upcoming season. The question is, can they tank into one of the bottom 7 spots? In the competitive West, it's certainly possible, and of course where there's a will (or a lack of will), there's a way. Similar to the Celtics though, it might be hard for a team with a competitive coach to truly tank hard. Carlisle seems like the type of coach who would do anything to win each game.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 08:22:37 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Considering our luck with the lottery, I fully expect Dallas to have the 8th worst record and to win a top 3 pick.

Were due! We have to be. Right? Right?!  :-\

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 08:31:29 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The decision for Dallas is not as either/or as it's being made out to be in some posts here.

The key is that if they keep their 2016 pick the obligation rolls over to 2017 and they could lose that one. If they lose the 2016 pick they keep 2017 for sure. So, the trade off is a bit different.

For example they could very well say "we are cool giving up #10 in 2016, but we will really tank in 2017 when we know for sure we have that pick, and Dirk is even further in decline. That maximizes our chances of a top 3 pick."