Author Topic: We should make an offer for Dirk and Parsons  (Read 5857 times)

We should make an offer for Dirk and Parsons
« on: July 09, 2015, 01:13:55 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
We could send Dallas their pick back along with Sully and Turner, both useful and expiring. I imagine we'd also have to give up pick(s) and maybe Young. If Dallas wanted to tank out for a year, get a lot of picks and try to sign 2 stars next summer, maybe they would bite.

We would be left with:

Smart/Rozier
AB/IT
Parsons/Crowder
Dirk/Johnson
Zeller/KO

or

Smart/Rozier
AB/IT
Parsons/KO
Crowder/Johnson
Dirk/Zeller

Not really enough to be a true top team but it would give us 2 years to get another star and be a top team.

Parson's contract would fit in a potential trade for DMC. Parsons and the rest of our picks for Cousins would leave us with:

Smart/Rozier
AB/IT
Crowder/Johnson
Dirk/KO
Cousins/Zeller

Thats a team that could win a title. half out assets for Dirk and Parsons, then Parsons plus the other half of our assets for DMC.

How far off from reality am I today?

Re: We should make an offer for Dirk and Parsons
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 01:17:25 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
you already traded David Lee in this scenario.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 01:22:36 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Sully and Turner for Dirk and Parsons... wow! Way off from reality, but I like pretending too :)
(not meant to be facetious)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 01:27:04 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Dirk is on his last legs (still good, but there's not a ton left in the tank), and Parsons might have a serious knee problem. Not the kind of players I'd want to trade for, unless we're fleecing Dallas, which seems unlikely.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 01:28:09 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I don't see how we can rebuild quickly enough to make use of Dirk and I think Parsons is one of the more overrated players in the league.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 03:15:13 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Health notwithstanding, Parsons would be an excellent get. Dallas stands to lose him after this year if they rebuild and he opts out. He started out overpaid, but with the cap situation, he could sign a new deal and make even more. Remove him from the team and Dallas picks top-7 this year (good for them, but we still hold a future pick).

He's a solid #2 option on offense who gives you excellent 3PT shooting, good rebounding, and is a good passer as well. He's also above average defensively and entering his prime years. Better player e.g. than Khris Middleton.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 03:55:01 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Health notwithstanding, Parsons would be an excellent get. Dallas stands to lose him after this year if they rebuild and he opts out. He started out overpaid, but with the cap situation, he could sign a new deal and make even more. Remove him from the team and Dallas picks top-7 this year (good for them, but we still hold a future pick).

He's a solid #2 option on offense who gives you excellent 3PT shooting, good rebounding, and is a good passer as well. He's also above average defensively and entering his prime years. Better player e.g. than Khris Middleton.

Khris Middleton was a better player than Chandler last year and Chandler appears to have reached his prime.
(Would still take Parsons as an asset though...not sure about Dirk.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 04:12:10 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Khris Middleton was a better player than Chandler last year and Chandler appears to have reached his prime.
(Would still take Parsons as an asset though...not sure about Dirk.

I like Middleton, and I've seen the advanced metrics that have folks raving, but I'm not yet convinced he can produce on the level that Parsons has in the past (nearly 17-6-4 over a full season). I see Parsons as having a higher offensive ceiling, but numbers-wise, it is close. I think Parsons is much more likely to average 20 points per game (and still be an above average defender).

That said, I like 'em both enough to want them on the Cs but Middleton isn't going anywhere with his new contract.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 05:23:43 AM »

Offline kne

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Cuban would never trade Dirk, so in my opinion this thread is moot.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 06:55:54 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Parsons maybe

Dirk ...meh

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 07:13:08 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Maybe but motivation to do so is at an all time high.

I can totally see the Mavs trading Dirk to a contender. I havent looked at who could take him on in the West, but if Im Cuban, I let Dirk go contend for a last title somewhere, and bolster a team in the west to help block the Clippers from getting to the finals in the process.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 07:25:32 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think he would.  And he might be doing Dirk a favor in doing so.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 07:25:38 AM »

Offline I told you so

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Don't want Dirk, he's on his last legs and would be a poor fit here.  Parsons, on the other hand, would be an excellent get.  He's 26 going on 27, is a good shooter with a well-rounded offensive game ... and he's a true small forward.  I'd say send the Mavs back their first rounder for Parsons ... there's a good chance the pick won't fall to us until 2018 anyway.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 07:50:45 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I don't think Parsons is a #2. I think he is a #3 or #4 offensive option.

I don't think Parsons can create his own shot well enough (consistently and frequently) against tough defenders / defensive teams (such as those he'll meet in the playoffs) to be a #2. I think Parsons is a guy who needs to play off of a pair (or more) of superior scorers and can provide some addition shot-creation and playmaking.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 08:02:38 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Where could Dirk go?

Most contenders seem to be pretty strong at PF. Already have a high caliber starting PF in place. Houston doesn't but I can't imagine Cuban wants to send Dirk to a team within his own state to win a Championship.

Washington, maybe? Otto Porter or Oubre and Nene for Dirk. Washington retains enough cap flexibility to make a run at Durant in next year's FA.

Sacramento? A WCS for Dirk based swap. Dirk + Cousins together. Sacramento have improved depth a lot. It would be a sales-job but they might be able to convince Dirk they can be a good playoff team if he joined them.

Cleveland have K-Love. LAC have B.Griffin. SAS have Aldridge. GSW have Draymond Green and a defensive system they are doubtful to want to breakup. Atlanta have Millsap. Chicago have Pau Gasol, Mirotic and Taj Gibson. Would they try to trade Pau (and picks) to Dallas for Dirk? I don't know. Memphis have Z-Bo. OKC have Ibaka + Kanter. I doubt Cuban wants to trade Dirk to OKC anyway. Milwaukee play Jabari Parker and Giannis at forward. Utah has Favors. Phoenix has Markieff Morris although they may want to trade him. Markieff for Dirk? Dirk reunite with Tyson Chandler alongside Bledsoe and B.Knight in Phoenix?

Dirk would be pretty interesting in Miami actually. A Dirk for Deng + picks swap. Dirk would be lethal alongside guards like Dragic and Wade. Miami can go small with Bosh at center and Dirk at PF. Impossible to defend. Winslow can step in and start at SF. Miami may need to give up Whiteside but if they keep him he'd be a nice alternative defensively & rebounding wise.

Dirk would be good in Toronto. I don't see what they have to give up to get him though. Not a lot of attractive pieces there outside the core guys they won't want to give up for a 37 year old.

I doubt Dirk would want to go to a rebuilding team like Orlando or Indiana. Maybe the Lakers take a run at Dirk. Try to put him together with Hibbert, Kobe and D'Angelo Russell. I don't know if Dirk would consent to that though. Still hard to see LAL making the playoffs.