Author Topic: Celtics (0-2) vs Spurs (1-1) Jazz SL Game 3 7/9/15  (Read 56097 times)

Re: Celtics (0-2) vs Spurs (1-1) Jazz SL Game 3 7/9/15
« Reply #330 on: July 09, 2015, 09:50:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Rozier and Smart are gong to be our future star backcourt - you heard it here first! haha

Seriously though, I really thing Rozier is going to be a star...not because of how he's played so far, but I just think his potential is through the roof.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:01:20 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #331 on: July 09, 2015, 09:58:34 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Rozier and Smart are gong to be our future star backcourt - you heard it here first! haha

Seriously though, I really thing Rozier is going to be a star...not because of how he's played so far, but I just think his potential is through the roof.

His athleticism is like Westbrook-lite. He has a long way to go, but the potential is there. A Rozier/Smart backcourt with both playing the combo guard and sharing the ball-handling duties could be awesome. Defensively, they'd be an elite duo. Offensively, they could attack the hoop and dish to each other and the team's other shooters. Smart's shooting has already improved tremendously since his time at Oklahoma St. Rozier's shot is fundamentally sound, with enough reps, it could be pretty good. I like what we have in these two guys.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #332 on: July 09, 2015, 10:05:15 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

His athleticism is like Westbrook-lite. He has a long way to go, but the potential is there. A Rozier/Smart backcourt with both playing the combo guard and sharing the ball-handling duties could be awesome. Defensively, they'd be an elite duo. Offensively, they could attack the hoop and dish to each other and the team's other shooters. Smart's shooting has already improved tremendously since his time at Oklahoma St. Rozier's shot is fundamentally sound, with enough reps, it could be pretty good. I like what we have in these two guys.

Yep, I see so much potential in him. Other's may not see it, but what I see is:

1) Explosive athleticism
2) An great motor and competitive attitude
3) Blue collar worker mentality (listen to his life story and you'll get what I mean)
4) Two-way skill set (can handle the ball, score and defend)

Guys who bust despite being explosive athletes usually do so because of:
a) Injury problems that degrade athleticism
b) Lack motor, competitiveness and/or motivation to get better
c) Severely lack BBIQ (i.e. Javale McGee bad)

Ever since I started researching his game / history the day we drafted him I started to see some of his highlights (his defense, scoring ablity, athleticism) and some of the comments from his coaches and teammates (about his motor, desire to be great, work ethic, winning mentality) my first impression was "wow - how did this guy fly so far under the radar??".

I saw a lot of footage on the guards / wings who went in the top 10 or so and while they all looked solid, not one of them screamed "future superstar".  They all look skilled and they all look talented, but none of them looked like they had that extra gear or like they had the gifts to be a dominant two-way player.  The instant I started researching Rozier i saw that - really does look like a mini Dwyane Wade / Westbrook.

I could be wrong of course, but this kid has all the physical tools, skills and intangibles to be a star.

« Reply #333 on: July 09, 2015, 10:08:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Smart said the game slowed up for him this year. Its clear, he is the man and future captain.

Would be nice to see the same happen for KO

Maybe that'll happen in Canada... like if we trade KO to Toronto.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #334 on: July 09, 2015, 10:15:01 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

1) Explosive athleticism
3) Blue collar worker mentality (listen to his life story and you'll get what I mean)

Ever since I started researching his game / history the day we drafted him I started to see some of his highlights (his defense, scoring ablity, athleticism) and some of the comments from his coaches and teammates (about his motor, desire to be great, work ethic, winning mentality) my first impression was "wow - how did this guy fly so far under the radar??".

I saw a lot of footage on the guards / wings who went in the top 10 or so and while they all looked solid, not one of them screamed "future superstar".  They all look skilled and they all look talented, but none of them looked like they had that extra gear or like they had the gifts to be a dominant two-way player.  The instant I started researching Rozier i saw that - really does look like a mini Dwyane Wade / Westbrook.

I could be wrong of course, but this kid has all the physical tools, skills and intangibles to be a star.

Your observations of Terry just scream textbook Celtic. On draft night I remember saying 'who in the hell is Terry Rozier,' but he's really grown on me. During SL, I've been really taken by him. As many have said, the players who can succeed in the NBA are the ones who have at least one elite talent; Rozier has his athleticism. I always wanted a player with high upside at #16, I just didn't realize that was Rozier until recently.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #335 on: July 09, 2015, 10:18:20 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
My boy Hunter finally did what I knew he could do! I told you guys it wasn't a matter of whether he could shoot it, but when it was going to start falling. I'm glad he's going into the Vegas SL with some confidence so he can start cooking over there.

« Reply #336 on: July 09, 2015, 10:23:03 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11

1) Explosive athleticism

Your observations of Terry just scream textbook Celtic. On draft night I remember saying 'who in the hell is Terry Rozier,' but he's really grown on me. During SL, I've been really taken by him. As many have said, the players who can succeed in the NBA are the ones who have at least one elite talent; Rozier has his athleticism. I always wanted a player with high upside at #16, I just didn't realize that was Rozier until recently.

Like I mentioned in the live tread, I think he has a lot of work to do on his handle.
I agree he has a lot of potential, but I saw some things today that make me believe he isn't NBA ready, at least as a ball handler.
That said, I stand by the pick. He has the potential to become a fantastic player.

« Reply #337 on: July 09, 2015, 10:26:51 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
My boy Hunter finally did what I knew he could do! I told you guys it wasn't a matter of whether he could shoot it, but when it was going to start falling. I'm glad he's going into the Vegas SL with some confidence so he can start cooking over there.

I love his shot... without a defender on him.
Next step will be to work on contested shots, where he is clearly lacking.
But considering that if he gets playing time this year he'll probably only be targeted in transition or as an option after a penetration, I see him contributing right away.
Loved his defence, also. Reads the game very well.

« Reply #338 on: July 09, 2015, 11:01:20 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

1) Explosive athleticism

Like I mentioned in the live tread, I think he has a lot of work to do on his handle.
I agree he has a lot of potential, but I saw some things today that make me believe he isn't NBA ready, at least as a ball handler.
That said, I stand by the pick. He has the potential to become a fantastic player.

No doubt, he's still got a ways to go - the fact that he's not lighting up the Summer League (as Smart is right now) is proof of that.

But just like Smart struggled a little in SL last year (he was solid, but far from dominant) I think you'll see Rozier follow a similar path.

I get the feel Rozier will see some NBA minutes this year, but not a lot of them.  I predict that our thee guard rotation will be (Bradley, Smart and Thomas) will take up about 90% of the minutes at the guard spots, will Rozier filling in the final 10% or so of minutes here and there much like Pressey did the last year.

I think that by the time we are 3/4 of the way through the season he'll be getting some meaningful minutes and starting to show flashes of what he can do.

By the time he comes back next year, I predict he's going to be dominating SL like Smart is now.

Just feel like a good 2 or 3 months of familiarity with the NBA atmosphere (learning the sets, learning the offense, getting to know teammates, gaining some confidence) is all it's going to take for him to make a big step forward.

« Reply #339 on: July 09, 2015, 11:14:08 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
I also think Hunter is going to be a solid pro.  Either a solid starter, or a very good role player.

Like Rozier, he has a lot going for him:

1) Excellent size & length at SG spot
2) Decent athleticism (not explosive, but doesn't get blown by)
3) Good nice passing instincts and solid handle
4) Excellent Basketball IQ (can already see this)
4) Solid defensive potential due to length, lateral mobility and sound fundamentals
5) Ability to score the ball
6) Work ethic and motor

He's going to need to add strength in order to avoid getting pushed around at the NBA level, but im confident he'll be a solid player.

Very rare to see a 6'6" shooting guard with a 6'10" wingspan (who has high BBIQ and who can defend, pass, handle the ball and shoot) not develop into a solid NBA player. 

Just too much skill and talent for him to NOT become a solid NBA player.