Author Topic: All Aboard the Good Ship Also-Ran  (Read 3695 times)

Re: All Aboard the Good Ship Also-Ran
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 12:04:21 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Ross is not really better than Bradley.

Correct, but unlike Bradley he can play at the 3.  Plus he can take and make a high volume of outside shots, which is badly needed on the team at the moment.

From what I've read about him, a change of scenery might do him good.  Brad Stevens might be able to get more out of him than the Raps have.

Aside from that 50 point explosion, Ross seemed to take a step back this year. His defense is suspect too, I would be a little hesitant to get him simply because he can play the three.

At this point, finding pieces that can fill glaring holes in the rotation and clear up some of the logjams is more important than getting perfect value.

Anyway, if we're just talking about Ross, I'd offer Sullinger for him straight up.  Sullinger has higher upside but greater bust potential given his weight issues.  Both players might be in line for a change of scenery.

Honestly, If I'm trading Sullinger, I want Demar Derozan back. Sullinger may have his issues, but he's shown more flashes than Ross has.

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 12:04:39 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I think once Philly realizes that Noel and Okafor can't coexist then Noel will become available and I'm sure we could land him.

Why can't Noel and Okafor coexist? Seems like they would complement each other very well - each makes up for the others' weaknesses. I could see them wreaking havoc, honestly.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 12:05:43 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Correct, but unlike Bradley he can play at the 3.  Plus he can take and make a high volume of outside shots, which is badly needed on the team at the moment.

From what I've read about him, a change of scenery might do him good.  Brad Stevens might be able to get more out of him than the Raps have.

Aside from that 50 point explosion, Ross seemed to take a step back this year. His defense is suspect too, I would be a little hesitant to get him simply because he can play the three.

At this point, finding pieces that can fill glaring holes in the rotation and clear up some of the logjams is more important than getting perfect value.

Anyway, if we're just talking about Ross, I'd offer Sullinger for him straight up.  Sullinger has higher upside but greater bust potential given his weight issues.  Both players might be in line for a change of scenery.

Honestly, If I'm trading Sullinger, I want Demar Derozan back. Sullinger may have his issues, but he's shown more flashes than Ross has.

Yeah but he's utterly redundant on the roster right now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 12:19:54 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think once Philly realizes that Noel and Okafor can't coexist then Noel will become available and I'm sure we could land him.

Why can't Noel and Okafor coexist? Seems like they would complement each other very well - each makes up for the others' weaknesses. I could see them wreaking havoc, honestly.

Floor spacing.

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 12:24:20 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Floor spacing.

Yeah, that makes sense. Idk... Gasol and ZBo aren't exactly sharp-shooters. I'm expect Okafor will be able to step out (but it's early), and I'm sure they intend to add shooters. Seems like a waste of higher-end talent to ship one unless the return is solid.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:40:05 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 12:32:47 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
DeRozan would be a good get for a package like AB/Olynyk/ET/2017 right to swap with BKN/2016 MIN 1st so long as he verbally committed to re-signing. I think adding him to IT and a hopefully improved Smart would be attractive to a max FA, and he's a guy that we could get probably at a buy-low point (I personally think he's been misused and thus is undervalued).

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 12:36:30 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
A trade is hopefully in the works but even if not we could e pretty good in the regular season.

Depth and coaching right now are our strengths.

In the regular season you will deal with guys going down and benches playing big minutes. Our superior bench/depth will help us a lot in these situations.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 12:48:59 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

The Celtics need talent, and Demar despite the fit is very talented.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 12:52:49 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I like the idea of Derozan in green and have been advocating for it for awhile.

Realistically I think we could land a package of Alex Len and Markieff Morris for the right price. Those would be big upgrades on what we have already.

Outside of that I think we could make some calls on Oladipo. Not sure how that conglomeration of young players works, but if Harris and Hezonja play better together I don't think they will have a need for Oladipo.

Should have sold high on Young and our first round picks before they played. Now I doubt we will get any value out of them now besides Maine because they are playing extremely mediocre in SL.

Quite frankly any young player that hits the trade market that has talent should be throughouly researched and phone calls should be made.

I agree on DeRozan, always wanted to see him in green, but the Toronto blow up looks like it's not gonna happen with them signing Carroll. I think they should really go after Saraphin. He looks like a beast to me.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 01:01:51 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The Celtics need talent, and Demar despite the fit is very talented.

I think you misunderstood me.

Sullinger is utterly redundant.

I'd be in favor of going after Derozan at this point.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
My idea? That the roster you see  isn't the roster that ends the year. That the quick search for answers is foolhardy. That 2 years into a rebuild is a dumb time to demand championship or bust. That it's a long process and ultimatums about championship or lottery, when so  much is in Flux, are shortsighted and foolish and forget the fact that this is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Who knows what will happen exactly but to think that the franchises goal is to be middling is ridiculous and insulting to those in charge. I don't know. The endless cynicism around here is such a buzzkill and reeks of entitlement. It's also so f'ing boring in its predictability.

You bring up an interesting point and glad you did.

People seem to think in the NBA you either have to be REALLY bad or REALLY good. Newsflash: You don't have to become really bad to get really good.

One of the criticisms that was driving me nuts yesterday about the David Lee trade is "it takes playing time away from the 'youngsters.'

Two problems with that.

1.)The youngsters had their chance to show what they can do (Sully, Olynyk.)

2.)Playing time should be EARNED, not given. If you can play, then get out there and shows us what you can do. If you suck, then get off the court. I don't care how young or old you are.

Bottom line: WIN!! If that means having to go young, then fine. But, if the also means acquiring guys who've proven they can play and can contribute, then you acquire them to help you win.

It's really simple.

People make such a big deal about "rebuilding" and we need to "develop our assets." That pinhead Felger was saying that today and he's utterly clueless about basketball.

Winning breeds a positive culture which breeds success in the playoffs which then could translate into other free agents wanting to come here.

You don't have to go on a losing binge like the Sixers from now til the end of time.