Author Topic: All Aboard the Good Ship Also-Ran  (Read 3709 times)

All Aboard the Good Ship Also-Ran
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:21:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Destination: 40 something wins.

Well, if the Celts are gonna commit to being a 40-something also-ran, they might as well be the best little 40-something also-ran they can be.

So -- let's consolidate and find some more talent to really push this thing over the top!  (and by "over the top" I mean "squarely into the middle")

Ammunition:

Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk, Tyler Zeller, James Young, Terry Rozier, oodles of mid-to-late 1sts

Ahoy lads!  Load the cannons and fire away!

Two possibilities stick out in my mind

(1) Lawson, Faried, Chandler in Denver --> any of these guys could help
(2) Derozan and Terrence Ross in Toronto --> size, shooting, penetration, free throws on the wing; Celts need it badly

I could see both Denver and Toronto looking to retool and making said players available for the pu-pu platter type offers we could make them.

What are your big ideas?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: All Aboard the Good Ship Also-Ran
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:31:49 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Ross is not really better than Bradley.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 10:32:39 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491
TP just for the funny title alone. 

I don't know whats going on with our off season.  We took our swing, and we missed at both moving up in the draft and in FA, so i guess DA is hitting the pause button so he could try again at the trade deadline and next summers draft.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:38:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 10:43:38 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I like the idea of Derozan in green and have been advocating for it for awhile.

Realistically I think we could land a package of Alex Len and Markieff Morris for the right price. Those would be big upgrades on what we have already.

I think once Philly realizes that Noel and Okafor can't coexist then Noel will become available and I'm sure we could land him.

Outside of that I think we could make some calls on Oladipo. Not sure how that conglomeration of young players works, but if Harris and Hezonja play better together I don't think they will have a need for Oladipo.

Should have sold high on Young and our first round picks before they played. Now I doubt we will get any value out of them now besides Maine because they are playing extremely mediocre in SL.

Quite frankly any young player that hits the trade market that has talent should be throughouly researched and phone calls should be made.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 10:43:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Correct, but unlike Bradley he can play at the 3.  Plus he can take and make a high volume of outside shots, which is badly needed on the team at the moment.

From what I've read about him, a change of scenery might do him good.  Brad Stevens might be able to get more out of him than the Raps have.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 10:44:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I love both the Denver and Toronto ideas.

Here's another one out of left field

Smart, Zeller, Sully and Young to Philly for
Noel and Covington

PG-Isaiah/Rozier
SG-Bradley/Turner/RJ Hunter
SF-Covington/Crowder
PF-Amir/Olynyk/Jerebko/Mickey
C-Noel/David Lee

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:47:54 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Apples and oranges.

Ross is a pretty good small forward which we desperately need.

He can shoot, attack the rim and is very athletic.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 10:49:08 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Correct, but unlike Bradley he can play at the 3.  Plus he can take and make a high volume of outside shots, which is badly needed on the team at the moment.

From what I've read about him, a change of scenery might do him good.  Brad Stevens might be able to get more out of him than the Raps have.

Aside from that 50 point explosion, Ross seemed to take a step back this year. His defense is suspect too, I would be a little hesitant to get him simply because he can play the three.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 10:58:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Aside from that 50 point explosion, Ross seemed to take a step back this year. His defense is suspect too, I would be a little hesitant to get him simply because he can play the three.

At this point, finding pieces that can fill glaring holes in the rotation and clear up some of the logjams is more important than getting perfect value.

Anyway, if we're just talking about Ross, I'd offer Sullinger for him straight up.  Sullinger has higher upside but greater bust potential given his weight issues.  Both players might be in line for a change of scenery.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 11:00:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I love both the Denver and Toronto ideas.

Here's another one out of left field

Smart, Zeller, Sully and Young to Philly for
Noel and Covington

PG-Isaiah/Rozier
SG-Bradley/Turner/RJ Hunter
SF-Covington/Crowder
PF-Amir/Olynyk/Jerebko/Mickey
C-Noel/David Lee

If we're looking to be respectable this year, going after pieces from Philly is not ideal.  Noel and Amir is too offensively inept a frontcourt to work, anyhow.

Plus, I don't think Philly is going to trade Noel just yet.  Not until it's absolutely clear he and Okafor can't fit together.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 11:24:19 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I think David Lee would be very resourceful in a Derozan trade because they are trying to retool instead of completely rebuild. Lee gives them a player that could contribute right away and could potentially make them a playoff team. If we throw in Bradley then they could easily have a playoff lineup with
PG: Kyle Lowry
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Terrence Ross
PF: David Lee
C: Jonas Valancuinas

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 11:40:51 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The thing about the Also-Ran: a first-rate captain, a tight-knit crew, and the ship runs quiet -- likely to sneak up on the bigger ships midway through the season.

49 wins in sight? I'll take it.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 12:00:37 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Seems to be where this is headed.  Last time we acquired a 32 year old former all-star with a history of injuries, I was pretty disappointed too... but shortly after acquiring that guy (Ray) we went out and landed a legit superstar.  So here's hoping Ainge has something similar planned.  More likely, we're just going to try to land a Derozan type.  Makes sense.

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 12:00:39 AM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
My idea? That the roster you see  isn't the roster that ends the year. That the quick search for answers is foolhardy. That 2 years into a rebuild is a dumb time to demand championship or bust. That it's a long process and ultimatums about championship or lottery, when so  much is in Flux, are shortsighted and foolish and forget the fact that this is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Who knows what will happen exactly but to think that the franchises goal is to be middling is ridiculous and insulting to those in charge. I don't know. The endless cynicism around here is such a buzzkill and reeks of entitlement. It's also so f'ing boring in its predictability.