Author Topic: The Difference Between the Sixers and the Celtics  (Read 1234 times)

The Difference Between the Sixers and the Celtics
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:56:31 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
No, this is not a negative post about the Celtics, but a positive one.

A few things about the offensive schemes and defensive scheme were pretty obvious tonight. The Celtics gameplan on defense was to always go over the screen, with the big man hedging, and then recover. They played that way no matter who they were guarding. Repeat: They went over the screen against TJ McConnell. It's obvious that the Celtics were trying to develop good habits and skills in their young players.

The Sixers, on the other hand, went under every screen, with the big man icing. The summer league Sixers did not care about good habits. They played a sloppy defensive game with decent rotations, and they won.

There were other little things about the Sixers defense, like other than McConnell, no one made any attempt at keeping the ball on one side of the court.

What does that mean? Not much on the surface. But I would rather our guys form good habits than win a summer league game.

Re: The Difference Between the Sixers and the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:42:39 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Boston's outside shooting was woeful tonight.  Philly had no need to jump up on the shooter.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:51:22 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Boston's outside shooting was woeful tonight.  Philly had no need to jump up on the shooter.
Yes but why practice those habits when you're going to need to jump up on the shooter if it is IT.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:00:31 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

The issue isn't whether or not Philly needed to jump out on the shooter. The issue is that the Celtics have a defensive system that always goes over the screener, as a way to prevent three point shots. Maybe in rare cases that wouldn't.

The Celtics are using this summer league to see which guards and forwards can effectively run that system, because that is an effective NBA defensive scheme.

The Sixers have no discernable defensive scheme. They may be able to rely on athleticism against the Celtics D-league team, but they will need discipline and rules in place against normal NBA offenses.

CBS wants winning players with winning habits who make winning plays. The Sixers want assets, athletes, and potential.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
Yes but why practice those habits when you're going to need to jump up on the shooter if it is IT.

Because there is no requirement that you always jump the pick and roll.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 10:12:14 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen

The issue isn't whether or not Philly needed to jump out on the shooter. The issue is that the Celtics have a defensive system that always goes over the screener, as a way to prevent three point shots. Maybe in rare cases that wouldn't.

The Celtics are using this summer league to see which guards and forwards can effectively run that system, because that is an effective NBA defensive scheme.

The Sixers have no discernable defensive scheme. They may be able to rely on athleticism against the Celtics D-league team, but they will need discipline and rules in place against normal NBA offenses.

CBS wants winning players with winning habits who make winning plays. The Sixers want assets, athletes, and potential.

I disagree with your take.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Oh, this is about summer league.  Ok.

Was there a difference?  Neither team could score from what I can tell from the box score.  Brutal game.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:28:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I have it taped was at a RPG game tonight but I may not watch it, the box looks so bad.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 10:29:24 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I have it taped was at a RPG game tonight but I may not watch it, the box looks so bad.

I really wouldn't waste your time. It was agonizing.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 10:33:31 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Oh, this is about summer league.  Ok.

Was there a difference?  Neither team could score from what I can tell from the box score.  Brutal game.
It was brutal but I thought the team started to flow better late in the third and early fourth quarter.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 10:33:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the difference between the celtics and sixers based on this game and from a positive angle -- on the regular season C's have more quality veterans they can play with the players they'll keep on this roster as opposed to Philly whose primary 'vets' to add to who they keep  are Noel and Covington (Embiid is neither a vet nor healthy enough to be playing)