Author Topic: Summer League Game 2 Grades  (Read 10984 times)

Re: Summer League Game 2 Grades
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 10:04:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
rooks playing about as well as I expected.  They will get minutes in the dleague this year or get moved as trade filler.

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 10:08:28 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
It's summer league which is like grading practice.

I kind of half get the point you're trying to make but you've watched 2 games with these guys playing with low level talent and you bad mouth Ainge who has watched 100 hours of tape and worked these guys out in person.

Remember when Dionte Christmas was a summer league God and Kris Joseph looked like the second coming of Pierce? 

I highly recommend watching the next game with an ice cold Sam Adams.

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
PPressey shouldn't have to worry about a spot on our roster.  Outside of MSmart, nobody on this team should be on the big club!  Would try and trade JYoung in a package.  He looks worse than last year! Rozier and RJ will stick cause they are guaranteed, but won't sniff the court. Lots of DLeague time unless there are lots of injuries.   Mickey will probably get DLeagued.  The rest is trash!
What Danny better be doin' is calling Gigi in a hurry!  We need somebody that can shoot!!  This bunch couldn't make a three if they were on the court alone!

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 10:25:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't know what Rozier showed in workouts, but he's looked mostly invisible so far.  Doesn't really stand out in any particular way, good or bad.  Looks like the type of backup point guard you can get in free agency most years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 10:29:15 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I don't know what Rozier showed in workouts, but he's looked mostly invisible so far.  Doesn't really stand out in any particular way, good or bad.  Looks like the type of backup point guard you can get in free agency most years.

He has blazing speed and explosiveness, something you can't teach. He looked fine so far.

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 10:30:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I think with the way we played tonight perhaps a half dozen of them would be a better idea?

And yet on many levels of basketball who does well at practice has some say in who plays in games.

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 10:32:52 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

He got a game high in points. And seemed invisible? Rozier is far and away the 2nd best player on our summer league sqad through 2 games. He clearly shows the most potential so far minus Smart

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 10:36:25 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
RJ Hunter looks like a waste of a pick so far.

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 10:39:17 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I disagree. He's had a few moments.

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 10:44:15 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
RJ Hunter looks like a waste of a pick so far.

At 28?  He's doing some little things right....defense, making the extra pass.  Too many ball hogs out there.  He had what4-5 shot attempts to James things 8 open looks of which he made one.  He needs to be able to find a rhythm.  He can't when everyone is driving the lane and then you kick it out once and awhile to your center.

I don't know the offense but he also seems to be playing too far Away from the ball.  He needs to go get it.  Still plenty of room to improve.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 10:50:30 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I really wish they didn't televise these games. The reaction/overreaction from fans is ridiculous. IT.IS. SUMMER LEAGUE.

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 10:53:29 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Just a terrible all-around game. Honestly, no positives whatsoever.

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 11:17:06 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42

I think with the way we played tonight perhaps a half dozen of them would be a better idea?

And yet on many levels of basketball who does well at practice has some say in who plays in games.

"We talkin bout practice"

I agree with the beer thing but half dozen is usually better than one anyway.

Man, I've played with practice players that were awesome and then they got in the game and they were terrible.  It was a bad analogy but you can kind of see my point. Plus, these rookies will practice with NBA players. 

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 11:20:47 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Guys - we  made the playoffs last year, and James Young played 31 games with an average of 10 minutes per game.

He averaged 11 Points and 5 Rebounds Per 36 in those minutes.

Over the first two Summer League games, I think you could make an argument that every one of our 2015 draft picks has played better than Young. 

That means every one of those guys has the potential to earn some playing time if they develop their skills, because the chance of any of them becoming worse than James Young is right now..is unlikely.

I think Rozier, Mickey, Hunter and Thornton have all shown flashes of ability.  None of those guys are dominating the SL like Smart did because none of those guys are top 6 picks entering their sophomore years as pros.

However they all showed signs if having some skill and/or talent that could translate at the NBA level.

Rozier:
Lighting quick, extremely explosive.  In a proper offence (where you aren't playing alongside 4 guys who are completely incapable of scoring) there would probably be enough court spacing for him to get to the basket at will.  He's got explosive quickness, a nice handle and a high motor on both ends of the floor - if he works on his shooting form (which is actually not that bad as it is) he could be a very nice player sooner than people think.

Hunter:
Has been hesitant to shoot so far (and has missed when he has) but that's really been the only criticism.  He's made some nice passes, played some solid defense, seem to have very high basketball IQ and a very unselfish attitude.  Finding guys who can shoot is not that hard, but finding guys with those attributes is.  We already know from college that the guy is capable of shooting the ball - that part of his game will come around eventually.

Mickey:
Has the length and athleticism to play the center spot, but he clearly lacks the physical strength.  Until he adds weight I doubt he'd get many (or likely any) minutes in the NBA.  But that is why he's a prospect, and why he was taken in the second round - he's a project.  On the plus side he can block shots, seems to have decent defensive instincts, is very athletic and has a decent jumper.  His frame seems like it could handle more bulk, so I think he has potential to improve a lot after a year of NBA strength training.  Doubt he'll ever be a starter, but could may be be a solid backup if he adds muscle.

Thornton:
Needs to add muscle, but a very smooth player who seems to make decent passes and seems to be able to get his shot off (in a variety of ways) pretty much at will.  He was able to get midrange shots, drives to the basket, transition shots, three point shots - seems comfortable taking all of those shots. Seems to be a good ball handler too. I could see him being a Jason Terry / Marcus Thornton (ironically) type combo guard off the bench.

But Rozier is the only guy of the three who looks like he might be close to getting NBA minutes right now, because he has the physical ability to play with the big boys right now...just needs to develop a jumper.  Lets be honest - his jumper can't possibly be any worse than Phil Pressey's lol

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 11:22:26 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I really wish they didn't televise these games. The reaction/overreaction from fans is ridiculous. IT.IS. SUMMER LEAGUE.

the Best of Times, the Worst of Times.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.