Author Topic: Summer League Game 2 Grades  (Read 10982 times)

Re: Summer League Game 2 Grades
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2015, 08:03:53 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Mickey is a stretch 4 in the NBA right now.   Expecting him to handle Okafor and Cooley is ridiculous.  I want to see Taj Gibson handle Okafor.  Or imagine Gibson in his rookie year try to handle Okafor.    Sully or Lee will work better with Mickey

This is pure nonsense. First, if he's a "stretch 4"like you suggested then he's not really good at it, because he doesn't stretch the floor much. Next, it was 6-10 PF Aldemir, who had 14 rebounds in 28 minutes, and 6-9 PF Cooley, who had 13 rebounds in 16 minutes, that did major damage on the glass vs Mickey. Neither is thought to be much more than a fringe NBA player at best. So please don't make it sound as though poor little Mickey has been going up against Shaq and Yao. For comparison, in 53 total minutes Mickey has a total of 6 rebounds.

Shots not falling is one thing and that you can dismiss to nerves, uncertainty, familiarity, etc. However, Mickey's lack of strength, complete inability to rebound in traffic, lack of multiple efforts on the glass (that motor that was questioned in college), unable to defend the post unless he's fronting, and softness are major concerns. I don't even see the athletic prowess you described. He's a good athlete, not a great one.

Aldemir has been playing pro ball for how many years vs Mickey?

Dude your hate is getting a little ridiculous

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2015, 08:08:41 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Mickey is a stretch 4 in the NBA right now.   Expecting him to handle Okafor and Cooley is ridiculous.  I want to see Taj Gibson handle Okafor.  Or imagine Gibson in his rookie year try to handle Okafor.    Sully or Lee will work better with Mickey

This is pure nonsense. First, if he's a "stretch 4"like you suggested then he's not really good at it, because he doesn't stretch the floor much. Next, it was 6-10 PF Aldemir, who had 14 rebounds in 28 minutes, and 6-9 PF Cooley, who had 13 rebounds in 16 minutes, that did major damage on the glass vs Mickey. Neither is thought to be much more than a fringe NBA player at best. So please don't make it sound as though poor little Mickey has been going up against Shaq and Yao. For comparison, in 53 total minutes Mickey has a total of 6 rebounds.

Shots not falling is one thing and that you can dismiss to nerves, uncertainty, familiarity, etc. However, Mickey's lack of strength, complete inability to rebound in traffic, lack of multiple efforts on the glass (that motor that was questioned in college), unable to defend the post unless he's fronting, and softness are major concerns. I don't even see the athletic prowess you described. He's a good athlete, not a great one.

He's 23 and has a total 41 NBA games under his belt. Yeah, that's it. It's probably his experience that caused him to destroy Mickey on the glass.

Dude your blindness is getting a little ridiculous

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2015, 08:15:54 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
It's that time of year   ::)

Yup. With some fans  - as demonstrated in this thread - everyone in summer league is either a future All-Star or a total useless bust. There is no in between.

The team shot 3-29 from the 3 point line. When you do that you're going to look bad. That is especially so when your front court consists of an undrafted 6-8 PF and a 2nd round 6-8 Center going against much bigger guys who were drafted much higher and/or have more experience.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2015, 08:20:31 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

He's 23 and has a total 41 NBA games under his belt. Yeah, that's it. It's probably his experience that caused him to destroy Mickey on the glass.

Plus 3 years of Euro League before joining the NBA. Add up the age and experience and that's a vastly more developed player.

I have no idea if Mickey is going to amount to anything. Odds are he won't. Most 2nd round picks don't. But to grade him on one game when he's playing out of position, has no help on the front line and is going against a 23 year old 6-10 guy with 4 years of professional experience and a 7 footer who was drafted #3 overall....well, that's the essence of an overreaction.

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 08:23:48 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Plus 3 years of Euro League before joining the NBA. Add up the age and experience and that's a vastly more developed player.

I have no idea if Mickey is going to amount to anything. Odds are he won't. Most 2nd round picks don't. But to grade him on one game when he's playing out of position, has no help on the front line and is going against a 23 year old 6-10 guy with 4 years of professional experience and a 7 footer who was drafted #3 overall....well, that's the essence of an overreaction.

You forgot to mention his performance vs the formidable frontline of the Jazz that had twin towers Jack Cooley and our long lost JaJuan Johnson. I guess their experience is what swallowed up Mickey on the glass too.

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2015, 08:26:01 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Triboy, this is what you said…
dude I don't think you know the difference between "project" vs non project prospects

Biyombo in his first few years = project.  He didn't know where to be on the floor. Execute PNR

Chris McCullough = project. He needs to put on 15-20 pounds to even have a chance to bang with regular joe NBA players.

Mickey knows how to play + is 240 pounds (pretty good strength).  You would get this if you made an attempt to watch one LSU game. Or acknowledged some of his accomplishments (leading the SEC in bpg, rpg, candidate for SEC player of the year).  Instead of coming up with a twisted conclusion.  For example, dwelling on his 6'8 height. DE states he is this and that.  He is ranked 45th by Chad Ford. Etc.

Watch a game man. You can start with the SL games coming up.

I'm watching, man. I'm watching.

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2015, 08:31:30 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Aldemir had an excellent pro career in Europe (he started as a pro in the 07/08 season) and was the best player on Turkey's best team (a team that finished in the top 16 and then the top 8 in the Euroleague).  He left his pro team in November of last year and signed with Philly who held his rights.  His contract with Philly is 3 million a year.  You don't just sign 2nd round picks to that sort of contract unless they are worth it.  Aldemir should be a very strong NBA player.  Probably not all star level, but certainly will be at worst a quality bench player for a decade barring injury. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2015, 08:32:40 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

You forgot to mention his performance vs the formidable frontline of the Jazz that had twin towers Jack Cooley and our long lost JaJuan Johnson. I guess their experience is what swallowed up Mickey on the glass too.

Yeah, 16 points and 3 blocked shots. So horrible. So he has to improve his rebounding. Big deal. Did you have him penciled in as a Day 1 starter or something?

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2015, 08:39:11 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Aldemir had an excellent pro career in Europe (he started as a pro in the 07/08 season) and was the best player on Turkey's best team (a team that finished in the top 16 and then the top 8 in the Euroleague).  He left his pro team in November of last year and signed with Philly who held his rights.  His contract with Philly is 3 million a year.  You don't just sign 2nd round picks to that sort of contract unless they are worth it.  Aldemir should be a very strong NBA player.  Probably not all star level, but certainly will be at worst a quality bench player for a decade barring injury.

Was he really their best player? Because I looked and he only averaged 20 mpg/7.8 ppg/6 rpg during the 14-15 season and 17 mpg/5.4 ppg/6.3 rpg during the 13-14 campaign.

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2015, 08:41:02 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Yeah, 16 points and 3 blocked shots. So horrible. So he has to improve his rebounding. Big deal. Did you have him penciled in as a Day 1 starter or something?

Oh no, not me. You have the wrong guy. However, there is another guy lurking around here that had him getting major minutes as part of the rotation.

The points in the first game was a nice surprise. However, we didn't we get Mickey for his scoring, we supposedly drafted him for his ability around the basket on the defense end. However, it seems like the "rim protector" needs to be protected because he can't control the glass. Rebounding is something that translates to the next level and why scouting reports questioned him in that facet of the game.

DX-
Mickey is an average offensive rebounder, using his quickness to rebound outside his area, pulling down 3.4 per 40 minutes pace adjusted, which ranked 14th among 22 power forwards in the DX Top-100. He's also just a decent defensive rebounder, grabbing 7.1 defensive rebounds per 40 minutes adjusted, which is unremarkable.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:47:19 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2015, 08:59:15 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Oh no, not me. You have the wrong guy. However, there is another guy lurking around here that had him getting major minutes as part of the rotation.

The points in the first game was a nice surprise. However, we didn't we get Mickey for his scoring, we supposedly drafted him for his ability around the basket on the defense end. However, it seems like the "rim protector" needs to be protected because he can't control the glass. Rebounding is something that translates to the next level and why scouting reports questioned him in that facet of the game.

DX-
Mickey is an average offensive rebounder, using his quickness to rebound outside his area, pulling down 3.4 per 40 minutes pace adjusted, which ranked 14th among 22 power forwards in the DX Top-100. He's also just a decent defensive rebounder, grabbing 7.1 defensive rebounds per 40 minutes adjusted, which is unremarkable.

Which is why he was a 2nd round draft choice.

I just don't see the reason why anyone is spending any energy complaining about him. He's playing out of position and has absolutely no help on the front line in the summer league games. He's a second round draft choice and those guys are a crapshoot with a pretty small chance of ever hitting on one that becomes worth anything. So if he pans out eventually, great. That's a massive bonus. If he doesn't, well that's the expected result.

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2015, 09:00:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

A post that actually makes sense.

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2015, 09:09:35 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

DX-

Which is why he was a 2nd round draft choice.

I just don't see the reason why anyone is spending any energy complaining about him. He's playing out of position and has absolutely no help on the front line in the summer league games. He's a second round draft choice and those guys are a crapshoot with a pretty small chance of ever hitting on one that becomes worth anything. So if he pans out eventually, great. That's a massive bonus. If he doesn't, well that's the expected result.

That's not it. You had a certain poster here that was clamoring about his vast abilities. Suggesting that he was a 1st rd talent and comparing him favorably to the likes of Cauley-Stein, Turner, Portis, etc. Had those repeated statements not occurred I would chalk Mickey up as just a 2nd rd prospect who needs about 2 years to perhaps become a serviceable player in the NBA.

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2015, 09:11:30 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Was he really their best player? Because I looked and he only averaged 20 mpg/7.8 ppg/6 rpg during the 14-15 season and 17 mpg/5.4 ppg/6.3 rpg during the 13-14 campaign.
Probably.  This past season he only played 6 games, but his per game averages he was the leading rebounder and shot blocker at the time he left.  Patric Young ended up just edging him in rebounds per game.  He was no where near the leading scorer (tops on the team was Zoran Erceg at 15, Carlos Arroyo had 12.5 as the 2nd leading scorer), though on a per minute basis was right there as Erceg and Arroyo were both in the 30 minute range. 

Euroleague is just a different style of play.  I mean Marc Gasol his last year in Europe was named the MVP of his league averaging just 16.6 points and 8.4 rebounds.  Just a different game over there.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2015, 09:26:54 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Can't even grade this ...... :D....triple face palm

I guess it was some sort of Basketball.

Maybe for who they are ,,they played ok........

But I didn't see much NBA talent on either team

Rozier , Oak , Philly Holmes , maybe Micky ........four guys off both teams who could have a future on an NBA team.

Just awful awful display of basketball .....depressing to watch .

Maybe FIVE guys off both teams could,make a decent D league squad.

I have seen much better pick up games in college gyms .