Author Topic: Summer League Game 2 Grades  (Read 10985 times)

Re: Summer League Game 2 Grades
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:50 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
It's that time of year   ::)
Greg

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 11:41:29 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31

the wretchedness of some players is directly tied to an absolute disaster of an offensive game plan.  No pace, hardly any on ball/high screens, and about a thousand stupid 1-4 low sets with that patented AB curl  producing jack squat..and with no counter roll to the hoop by the screener. Rozier simply passes to a big at the top, then gets it back after 5 seconds...Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. does that accomplish?
Even the know-nothing commentator said :"I dont know if the celtics got much out of that game"
Spot on. We didnt see if rozier or anybody could produce in transition, let alone be purposeful with player movement. We saw a walk-it-up stagnant, predictble set run even more poorly than imaginable. And please dont tell me "they dont know each other"...because a 10 year old can run a pick and roll..and pass and screen.  We did neither...and apparently its OK with coach that we went through the motions on the basic play of basketball in the modern era. 

Rozier, when given a decent role similiar to IT will be fine..anybody watching him play defense has to see alot of Smart in him already.

Hunter, Thornton and Mickey need to be in D-league.  I would take Fair over anybody else based on his ability to be around the ball, and actually drive it under control. He sadly lacks explosiveness.

Good thing to remember that most of these guys were never destined to make a huge splash anyway...and we have alot of young players ready to make the jump this year.

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 12:45:44 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
People will always ignore information that doesn't conform to their prejudices and trust information that does. The people who are already writing off the rookies would be posting replies along the lines of "haha summer league" if they had actually played well.

At the end of the day it's just a glorified practice game, and I think there's very little you can glean from it as to how good the rookies are.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 12:49:35 AM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
People will always ignore information that doesn't conform to their prejudices and trust information that does. The people who are already writing off the rookies would be posting replies along the lines of "haha summer league" if they had actually played well.

At the end of the day it's just a glorified practice game, and I think there's very little you can glean from it as to how good the rookies are.

Aren't you doing that right now with the stuff we're seeing from the summer league  ::)

As it stands this is the only thing that helps us gauge how well these rookies may be because they are finally going against a thinned out herd of high draft picks and D league players who fight for roster spots on NBA teams.

If they can't dominate here it shows they aren't NBA ready yet

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 12:50:24 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
F all the way around.  Rookies get a pass.  Young at least looked a bit more agressive after gettin hit in the yam bag :-X

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 12:50:43 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

Aren't you doing that right now with the stuff we're seeing from the summer league  ::)

As it stands this is the only thing that helps us gauge how well these rookies may be because they are finally going against a thinned out herd of high draft picks and D league players who fight for roster spots on NBA teams.

I'm not saying that I know these guys will succeed. I'm saying that I can't tell whether they succeed or not based on two games of summer league action.

Which is the position any reasonable human being should have.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2015, 12:58:06 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

I'm not saying that I know these guys will succeed. I'm saying that I can't tell whether they succeed or not based on two games of summer league action.

Which is the position any reasonable human being should have.

Postgame grades are a snapshot of the moment: nothing more, and nothing less.  Just as with NFL exhibition games, people tend to look at these games as tryouts more than actual games.  And, whether the optimists/pessimists like it or not, that's essentially what they are, for pretty much everyone except the first round picks.

So, you may say that you can't tell whether they can succeed or not based on two games of summer league action, but people can get a pretty good idea about most of players by the time the leagues are done, just as people can get a pretty good idea about most football players by the time those exhibition games are finished.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 01:59:03 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
In the entire year since we drafted him, Young has not shown anything to indicate that he could be an NBA player. I really think he is a bust.

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2015, 02:11:22 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
In the entire year since we drafted him, Young has not shown anything to indicate that he could be an NBA player. I really think he is a bust.

I strongly agree. Dude flat-out sucks. If you show absolutely no improvement after playing one year at the highest level you can play, you're probably not in the right place. Age doesn't seem to be the primary factor, either - reports suggest he's working hard, he just seems like he doesn't have it. His feel for the game, based on his passes, inability to find any rhythm or guard any one on the floor, suggests he's not a prospect putting much (if any) stock in.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2015, 02:26:07 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

I strongly agree. Dude flat-out sucks. If you show absolutely no improvement after playing one year at the highest level you can play, you're probably not in the right place. Age doesn't seem to be the primary factor, either - reports suggest he's working hard, he just seems like he doesn't have it. His feel for the game, based on his passes, inability to find any rhythm or guard any one on the floor, suggests he's not a prospect putting much (if any) stock in.

And he can't shoot.

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 02:31:27 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

And he can't shoot.

Seems like he can't shoot when there is pressure to score. Thinking a lot of his issues are psychological, and that's really hard to fix.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2015, 03:09:47 AM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27

And he can't shoot.

Seems like he can't shoot when there is pressure to score. Thinking a lot of his issues are psychological, and that's really hard to fix.

Young was also in a 6th man role at Kentucky so I think he left college ball way too early and got drafted on that P word potential. No indications he will amount to much in the NBA.

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2015, 04:19:43 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

And he can't shoot.

Young was also in a 6th man role at Kentucky so I think he left college ball way too early and got drafted on that P word potential. No indications he will amount to much in the NBA.

I'm guessing it takes at least 3 more years (if we still have him them) for him to be able to actually contribute. Cuz right now he is just...ugh...I don't know what to say...
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2015, 07:23:32 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Wow. The over reactions are amazing. This guy sucks, that guy is a bust, terrible draft. Really. It's the second summer league game.
While I agree, it was hard to watch, there was really nothing that tells me much. What was there, like 100 3 point attempts? I mean really, the game looked like a YMCA pick up.
I don't know if a guy like RJ or even Young can play based on that. There is no one in the league who hasn't had a bad or even awful shooting night. Maybe that's what happened to them.
Also, these a very young guys playing for their jobs. Hard to imagine they are not pressing.
Grade them if you want, but I can't believe we have any idea on their ability by judging these games.
Just my opinion.

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2015, 07:57:27 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Mickey is a stretch 4 in the NBA right now.   Expecting him to handle Okafor and Cooley is ridiculous.  I want to see Taj Gibson handle Okafor.  Or imagine Gibson in his rookie year try to handle Okafor.    Sully or Lee will work better with Mickey

This is pure nonsense. First, if he's a "stretch 4"like you suggested then he's not really good at it, because he doesn't stretch the floor much. Next, it was 6-10 PF Aldemir, who had 14 rebounds in 28 minutes, and 6-9 PF Cooley, who had 13 rebounds in 16 minutes, that did major damage on the glass vs Mickey. Neither is thought to be much more than a fringe NBA player at best. So please don't make it sound as though poor little Mickey has been going up against Shaq and Yao. For comparison, in 53 total minutes Mickey has a total of 6 rebounds.

Shots not falling is one thing and that you can dismiss to nerves, uncertainty, familiarity, etc. However, Mickey's lack of strength, complete inability to rebound in traffic, lack of multiple efforts on the glass (that motor that was questioned in college), unable to defend the post unless he's fronting, and softness are major concerns. I don't even see the athletic prowess you described. He's a good athlete, not a great one.