Author Topic: Are we a championship roster?  (Read 11192 times)

Re: Are we a championship roster?
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2015, 10:50:15 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I can't think of a single player, including LBJ, who you could add to the squad and feel like you are assured of a championship. The Celtics are still a work in progress though I like the progress.

No team is assured of a championship.  The Cavs with LBJ aren't assured of a championship.  IMO, anyone looking for a sure thing is a fool.

Poor word choice on my part maybe, though it is in response to the wording of the original question. Maybe my post should read 'assured of a championship roster'? The point though was, that even with LBJ, we would not be a roster I thought was complete. Lots of 'fools' put their hard earned on 'sure things' and lose their money. As a punter I understand what people mean when they say 'sure thing'. I also understand they know nothing in life is certain and I don't need to patronise them or call them 'fools'.

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2015, 11:03:21 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I'm amazed at how many responded without reading the actual post.

read the post. I still can't believe this was an actual question.

the only way this team is "on the verge" is if every team in the east craps out, which is quite possible but not an accurate way to gauge where this team is at. or if this current team goes through a major change, like a major trade that upgrades the talent.

this team's best chance to improve now is basically have a deep playoff run and hope some star buys into that we're "on the verge". I really don't see it happening but whatever.

because we're not tanking...not yet.

That is the plan though.  I think we are going to be good this year and entice someone.  What I'm saying makes perfect sense.  It's funny when people think I need to take my meds.  Maybe other people should because I'm pretty positive we are going to be good this year.  I don't know about championship caliber.  But it's not that ridiculous a question.  We are still a missing piece away or so.  So yes I am a bit surprised by the responses.  We should be really good this year.

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2015, 11:12:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
OK but what are your measurements of a "really good" team?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2015, 11:18:09 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
good lord!

« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2015, 11:26:59 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
When we had KG, Ray and Pierce all those years they weren't tops at their positions anymore. They were for 1 year when we won it.

KG went down in 2009. We would have easily swung past Chicago, beat Orlando, stop LeBron James, and destroy the Lakers enroute to winning Banner #18 if KG and Powe remained healthy.

Perk went down in 2010, which led to Gasol/Bynum dominating in the paint. Ray Allen was also playing injured that series. Boston would've won Banner #19 in Staples Center.

Ainge banked on the O'Neal health and backfired. If they were healthy, C's would've beaten Miami Heat in the second round, beat Chicago in the East Finals but lose to Dallas in that NBA Finals because they were just too deep and clicking it.

If Pierce was 100% healthy, the Rondo-led Celtics would have stopped the Miami Heat in the East Finals. They would've beaten an inexperienced OKC Thunder squad thus winning Banner #20.

Celtics could be working on Banner #21 right now...sigh  :'( But man, 4-1 run in winning NBA titles sounds pretty darn wonderful!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2015, 11:36:56 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
OK but what are your measurements of a "really good" team?

Really good means top 4 or 5 seed in the eastern conference.  Which means a team in the top half of the NBA.  Top 10-15 team.  I think all of those things are achievable this year.

I'd say last year we were bottom half. Probably about 17 or so overall.

I think we are plus 500 this year and a top team in the Eastern Conference and challenge and win our division in other words.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:42:56 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2015, 11:46:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Really good means top 4 or 5 seed in the eastern conference.  Which means a team in the top half of the NBA.  Top 10-15 team.  I think all of those things are achievable this year.

There are those who think that the top 10 teams are the Cavs and the top 9 teams in the West.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2015, 11:49:10 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I don't think so. I could name half the nba that we are better than.

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2015, 11:51:41 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
This team is good enough now to win a round or two in the EC playoffs.

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2015, 11:53:23 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Lakers
Kings
Suns
Pelicans
Timberwolves
Jazz
Nuggets
Pistons
Pacers
Bucks
Knicks
sixers
Nets
Hornets
Magic
Heat

WE had a better record than all those teams last year if I'm not mistaken.  Toronto is our target. Portland lost a lot of guys.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:59:49 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2015, 12:00:39 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
DA is being very aggressive. I wouldn't put anything past this team.  I follow the Royals and Red Sox and the Royals had a young nucleus and went out and got a couple midlevel free agents this year.  Baseball is obviously different but having a good mix can take you places regardless.  Especially with the coach we have working this lineup.  I think fans in general would never say such a thing.  Too much doom and gloom but I'm really liking our team now.

I think we are more knocking on the door. If this were football we'd be a 10-6 team and making some noise in the playoffs.  It's not that different.  We are a contender though on the outside looking in but I really feel like we are getting there.

As someone mentioned, you can't compare other sports to basketball. But if you do want to compare baseball and basketball, the Royals had great draft picks year after year by virtue of sucking so much the past decade. The Celtics have not been bad enough the past few years to really get the elite prospects, with the possible exception of last year when they fell just out of the top 5 and possibly missed an elite guy like Exum.

Smart seems like he will be a solid guy if his shot comes together, but I don't think he'll ever be an elite scorer/distributor that some of the other top PGs are.

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2015, 12:19:37 AM »

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Lakers
Kings
Suns
Pelicans
Timberwolves
Jazz
Nuggets
Pistons
Pacers
Bucks
Knicks
sixers
Nets
Hornets
Magic
Heat

WE had a better record than all those teams last year if I'm not mistaken.  Toronto is our target. Portland lost a lot of guys.

Bucks and Pelicans had better records than we did last year (41 and 45 wins respectively)
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2015, 12:20:29 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
they also have more talented rosters as of now.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2015, 01:08:06 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
In the East, only the Cavs, Bulls and Bucks are clear cut better teams than the Celtics. The Hawks won't  win 60 games next season with Korver's injuries and losing Carroll, the Raptors hovered around .500 last season without Johnson and now he's a Celtic. The Wizards just lost their leader, plus both their stars are comming off major injury.

I honestly would not be shocked if this Celtics team lost in Game 6 of the 2nd Round next year; or if some key injuries linger for other teams, get swept in the ECF.

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2015, 01:40:37 AM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Not championship roster right now but definitely an Eastern playoff team roster.