Author Topic: Are we a championship roster?  (Read 11180 times)

Re: Are we a championship roster?
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2015, 07:54:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What??

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2015, 07:55:07 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Who's to say Marcus isn't a superstar anyways?  I think he is.

Good god, is this what this offseason has done to people?

this is it. this is the exact moment these boards have jumped the shark

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Probably a player away from being a player away from being a legitimate title contender, but with a legitimate chance to make enough incremental improvement to make it to the second round of the playoffs.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2015, 08:03:48 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
The original question probably deserves much of the derision it has received.

Even if the additions perform at career best levels and we get lots of the improvement we hope for from the young up and comers, a championship is a s t r e t c h.

I see more upside in the squad with the additions and likely improvement. Optimistic this team makes the playoffs and could go further than first round if we avoid the Cavs. Worst case, which under CBS I really doubt happens, we struggle as there is little improvement and we don't get much from Lee and Amir.

I can't think of a single player, including LBJ, who you could add to the squad and feel like you are assured of a championship. The Celtics are still a work in progress though I like the progress.

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2015, 08:10:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I can't think of a single player, including LBJ, who you could add to the squad and feel like you are assured of a championship. The Celtics are still a work in progress though I like the progress.

No team is assured of a championship.  The Cavs with LBJ aren't assured of a championship.  IMO, anyone looking for a sure thing is a fool.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2015, 08:50:35 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Well it's nice to know where you all stand.  Just checking.  It was a question anyways.  I think we will make some noise this year.  I never said we were.  Your replies say a lot though.  I hope you will be laughing when we do well this year.  It's really not that laughable.  It was an honest question.  Just checking where the team is.  I tend to disagree with a lot of people here.

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2015, 08:53:24 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Haha... Smh

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
 I'm amazed at how many responded without reading the actual post.

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2015, 10:22:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
DA is being very aggressive. I wouldn't put anything past this team.  I follow the Royals and Red Sox and the Royals had a young nucleus and went out and got a couple midlevel free agents this year.  Baseball is obviously different but having a good mix can take you places regardless.  Especially with the coach we have working this lineup.  I think fans in general would never say such a thing.  Too much doom and gloom but I'm really liking our team now.

I think we are more knocking on the door. If this were football we'd be a 10-6 team and making some noise in the playoffs.  It's not that different.  We are a contender though on the outside looking in but I really feel like we are getting there.

I hear they have good meds these days....

Are you crazy?   No, we got swept by the Cavs.

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2015, 10:25:24 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
No, but if things really gel we could get as far as ECF.

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2015, 10:25:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Are you really?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2015, 10:29:17 PM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
DA is being very aggressive. I wouldn't put anything past this team.  I follow the Royals and Red Sox and the Royals had a young nucleus and went out and got a couple midlevel free agents this year.  Baseball is obviously different but having a good mix can take you places regardless.  Especially with the coach we have working this lineup.  I think fans in general would never say such a thing.  Too much doom and gloom but I'm really liking our team now.

I think we are more knocking on the door. If this were football we'd be a 10-6 team and making some noise in the playoffs.  It's not that different.  We are a contender though on the outside looking in but I really feel like we are getting there.

You can't compare basketball to football or baseball; the differences in how basketball rosters are structured compared to those sports have everything to do with why we this isn't a championship roster, now or at any time in the future.  When you can only carry 15 players and play 5 at a time, you better have at least one superstar if you want to contend for a title.  In football, a team of solid players can beat a team with a few superstars mixed with a bunch of scrubs because there are so many guys on the field that 1 or 2 can't make such a huge impact.  In basketball, a guy like LeBron has more impact than any football player can ever have; it's pretty much impossible to beat someone like that if you don't have a similar talent on your team.  We don't have a player like that or anyone who seems likely to develop into one, so we don't have much of a chance of winning a championship.

I'm not really disagreeing.  It was more a question but I think this team can surprise some people and it's not that laughable anymore.  We are a talented team.  WE have that depth and other teams don't.  If we want to run and with our coach who knows.

We do, but you can see from how much perceived value our depth has from how our attempts to move up in the draft and sign/trade for superstars have gone.  No one's interested in our role players because everyone knows that this is a superstar driven league.  We might be able to sneak up on people and outrun teams with our depth in the regular season, and Brad's coaching will probably get us a few wins, but when push comes to shove in the playoffs we aren't going to be able to compete with the superstars.

This.
When most teams get to the play-offs, they tighten their rotations and the better players start playing 40min+ per game. Our depth loses importance in those situations.
That said, I don't see it as impossible for the Celtics to make a run like the Hawks last year. Certainly with less wins during the regular season, but something similar in terms of progress.
And I see the team being able to beat in the play-offs (although with less chances than being beaten...) any team in the East apart from Cleveland and Chicago.
So, in the best case scenario, let's say we get to the conference finals against Cleveland, like the Hawks did this year. Well, we all know how that turned out...

Of course, if LBJ gets injured and misses the play-offs, the East will be up for grabs.
But you'd still need to contend with the West winner, sure to have a lot more depth and a lot more stars, be it GSW, Spurs, Rockets or OKC.

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2015, 10:44:25 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

read the post. I still can't believe this was an actual question.

the only way this team is "on the verge" is if every team in the east craps out, which is quite possible but not an accurate way to gauge where this team is at. or if this current team goes through a major change, like a major trade that upgrades the talent.

this team's best chance to improve now is basically have a deep playoff run and hope some star buys into that we're "on the verge". I really don't see it happening but whatever.

because we're not tanking...not yet.